Too Many Midfielders….And More to Come?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, August 7, 2014.

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

Because this is Spurs, the transfer activity during this window is probably not even close to being finished. That said, Spurs have so many midfielders in their current squad and the two most prominent transfer targets also appear to be midfielders. Something has got to give.

4-2-3-1

Mauricio Pochettino likes to play with a 4-2-3-1 formation, utilizing five midfielders. That’s great, and it look like Spurs will need some depth to play with that many midfielders consistently considering that at some point, Tottenham will be participating in four competitions at one time.

Right now, I have counted 11 midfielders that got significant playing time last season with two more (Morgan Schneiderlin and Memphis Depay) heavily linked to the club. That’s 13 midfielders. So who stays and who goes?

Assuming no one is added in this transfer window (unlikely, but let’s assume for the sake of argument), Spurs still have Bentaleb, Capoue, Chadli, Dembélé, Eriksen, Holtby, Lamela, Lennon, Paulinho, Sandro, and Townsend in the squad. Who are the starters you want to see in a 4-2-3-1 formation?

The Automatics

To me, Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela are the only guaranteed starters in the midfield at the onset of the season. Eriksen’s form and class last season proved he was worth well more than the price paid for him, while Lamela struggled with fitness and only made limited appearances. Now, back to full health and under an Argentine manager, Lamela could shine this season. If his performances in the preseason are any indication, it looks like we could be in for a treat.

The better question is where do these two guys fit into the 4-2-3-1? Lamela will obviously be a wide guy, part of the “three”, but he likes to cut in and switch sides. That shouldn’t be a problem once the three (whoever they are) understand each other fully. Eriksen is another question all together. While I believe he should be part of the three, he could also be the deeper distributor playing as one of the two above the defense (the other being a defensive ball-winning midfielder). His versatility will be a huge asset to Mauricio.

The Defensive Mid

Seems to me that we have three choices here: Sandro, Etienne Capoue, and Nabil Bentaleb. With Sandro out with an injury recently (along with transfer rumors to Napoli among other suitors) it looks like he’s a solid bet to not be in that position at the start of the season. Nabil Bentaleb played a deeper role at times under Tim Sherwood last year, but I’m not convinced he has what it takes to play that role. It certainly it would be difficult to see an Eriksen/Bentaleb combo in front of the defense, not much cover there.

My choice is Etienne Capoue. He is big, strong, physical, and is pretty confident on the ball. There were games last season where I think his presence in front of the defense was crucial. He was also overlooked by Sherwood and certainly has something to prove to the new manager. Plus, Euro 2016 is being hosted by France. Expect all French players to be on top of their game in the coming seasons as Didier Dechamps watches closely to club football as France only play friendlies until the tournament.

Moussa Dembélé could also fill this role, but he likes attacking more, so my first choice is still Capoue.

The Wing Men

Lamela is a given. That leaves Aaron Lennon, Andros Townsend, and Nacer Chadli. Chadli is intriguing because of his size, but disappeared during long stretches last season and at times for Belgium in the World Cup. Lennon has been a great servant to the club, but his time may be coming to an end. To me, Townsend has the most upside and honestly showed the most last season. His pace is lethal, his crosses are pretty good, and if he can just decide on when to shoot and when not to, he could be a real asset, much like he was when he started the 13-14 season ablaze.

Central

This is where it gets tricky. Eriksen will be somewhere, that’s obvious. That basically leaves Moussa Dembélé, Lewis Holtby, and Paulinho for one spot.. If I had to only choose one to round out this midfield, I would take Holtby in the middle. I love his game, I love his energy, and I think he’d do well in the center of the pitch, whether it’s in a more advanced position or deeper. Of course, that is all predicated on always using speedy wingers as two of the three options. The opponent will not always dictate that speed is the best option

True, you can’t go wrong with any of these choices and we have yet to see what Mauricio is planning on doing when his squad is full and fit. A back two of Holtby and Capoue with Lamela, Eriksen, and Dembélé in front of them would also be great. Or Townsend/Hotby/Lamela over Eriksen/Capoue. This choices are endless.

We also have the possible additions of Schneiderlin and Depay to throw into the mix and in that case, some players will certainly be unloaded with Chadli being rumored as bait. Also, there’s the prospect of using an almost completely different set of midfielders for the Europa League.

I guess those topics will be addressed in a future post, but until then, who would you like to see in the midfield for Tottenham Hotspur this season?

2. Skillinuf Guest

Our midfield is so bloated that you even forgot about Paulinho. So your initial point is very well made.

3. Davedddddd Guest

Loris walker dier verts Davies
    capoue dembele
    Ericsson lamela Lennon
    Soldado
    As a starting 11 this is very strong, I'd much prefer mussachio to dier but not sure he'll be ready for west ham. I still rate Lennon and have always thought used more centrally he could be devastating. The way the 3 inter change and create space for each other means Lennons pace will punish a lot folk this year. It's one thing to watch some blaze past you down the wing and whip a cross in, it's another to watch some one continuously burst through the middle

4. William Guest

Flexibility and depth is something that the Spurs are actually building. The media (and Harry Redknapp) will often focus just on the best 11. But picking the best 11 for the opponent is important if supported by quality tactics. Spurs can field a physically big team with midfielders and forwards like Capoue, Dembele, Chadli, Lamela, and (Eriksen - the minnow) with Adebayor up front. This line-up is not just brutal size players like Stoke fields, but rather skilled players with size, strength and skill. They can also field a smaller, faster team with players like Holtby, Lamela, Lennon, Eriksen, Townsend and Soldado/Adebayor. Obviously, a combination of size, speed and tactics are what will make the Spurs difficult for other teams to prepare for. The difficult part is getting the players to play effective football together as a team even with a few different pieces mixed in here and there.

I think there is more talent on this team than many outsiders recognize because of all the change and volatility last year. Let this group settle and let Poch get them to work together as a team and good things will happen.

Concerning the squad, I support all of the defensive additions and would not be upset if another proven goal scorer were added. The team is only allowed 17 foreign players and the rumors obviously do not mesh with the reality.

If the team gets Musacchio, this is what I think will happen:
    - Dawson - Sold
    - Kaboul (F) - Sold
    - BAE - Loaned (no one is going to buy him)
    - Carroll - Sold (too small, time to move on)

I believe that Naughton could be sold as well if the club can secure Micah Richards, but I don't think the team is going to add another foreign player for a back-up right back position.

I think there is a good chance that Friedel may retire if another foreign player slot is needed. So, Spurs have one foreign player spot if Friedel stays and two if he retires. I believe this foreign player should be another striker. If Friedel retires, sure, bring in Depay and keep Chadli.

Well, those are my two cents.

5. derek herschman New Member

Agree to many 2nd rate mid fielders;
    OUT Dawson,Churches,Coupe,Sandro,Chadli,-
    Money In Around $40 million....+ Salado, Noughton, Lennon, Ade-
    $38+million =$78+ million!Deadwood gone-WOW!
    Please consider Porch,Levy In
    Morgan,Jay...wait until new year? Remy only on special contract due to health condition,Bony,Menthes, Center Half done deal?

6. Dowie Guest

Our midfield options are exciting and we finally have a decent manager. We need a strong mobile forward though. Bony is a good fit.
    Massively important we have pace at the back if we are playing a high line. Centre half with with no pace will look to naturally drop deep to condense the space behind them.
    Playing the high line cost AVB his job at Chelsea and Spurs so let's hope Mauriccio learns from his mistakes.
    Could be an exciting season.
    Fingers crossed

7. big fran Guest

I would expect one to start from Sandro/Capoue to partner the deep lying playmaker as some people like to call them these days whereas I prefer a holding player who can actually do a bit. I'd plump out of the players we have for Dembele although I'd like to see him play further up and stop playing within himself. On the right lamela on the left Townsend and as a number 10 Eriksen currently our most consistent midfielder and most likely to create assists. The team should be built to get the best out of your best players and he's certainly that! If Schneiderlin comes in I'd expect Sandro to be moved on and then its interesting whether he plays as the holder or the playmaker which totally changes the dynamics for dembele as he's our most complete player and has to start for me BUT he has to do more with his ability!

8. ralph coates New Member

No more midfielders please!! Last season proved we need a proven net bulger & Bony fits the bill. If we dont go in for him with a serious bid the scousers will snap him. Our current attacking options are woeful as who knows which Ade will turn up this season !! COYS

9. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

I would expect to see some rotation in the MF depending on form, fitness and the quality of opposition. We have a lot of MFs and they all need regular games to keep them match fit and keen. In the middle I think Capou has done enough to nail down a spot for the start of season, any one of Dembele,Bentelab,Sandro or even Holtby could slot in alongside. Eriksen and Lamela are definites and for me the left is up for grabs. Maybe Depay. What we need from our MF this year that has been sometimes lacking is goals.

10. Chrisdb94 Guest

Massive fan of Capoue even before e came to Spurs. He has the ability to be as influential as our own Yaya. He has to start with potentially Sandro but will hopefully start with Schneiderlein.

Lamela must start on the right and occasionally switch to the middle. Eriksen must start in the middle and occasionally switch to the left and Depay would be perfect for the left which solves our left wing problem. Then there is perfect backup of Townsend - Holtby - Chadli

11. big fran Guest

I'm not too sure we would get depay
    And even if he does iI wouldn't expect him to be a guaranteed starter from what little I've seen of him he's very raw. I'm expecting Townsend to get that first crack at the troublesome left wing berth and rightly So. He is an incredible talent but I believe he got caught up in his own press after his displays for England where he played better for them than his club. He has a lovely left foot and he can utilise it from the left more whipping balls in for the CF whomever it may be.

12. kev2407 Guest

Loris
    Walker-Kabul-Vert-Davies
    Capoue-Paulina
    Lemela Erikson Dembele
    Soldado

13. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

We need strength in depth in every position and that doesn't mean having simply two players for each position, but having two of similar quality. To be the best, this is what we need to do and Pochettino is steadily trying to bring this into place.
    I actually think we are okay in midfield already, so not sure we do need any more players, but Pochettino will be looking at what individuals can bring to the overall squad.
    I still want to see another centre back, but other than that, I think the squad is looking very strong for the new season.
    I am not yet sure what my starting 11 would be but players I would like to see start would be Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Davies, Capoue, Holtby, Lennon, Lamela, Soldado. Still a couple I am unsure on but I am expecting to see very fast, fluid football this year.

14. Daniel Guest

The Gk is obviously lloris with vorm and friedel back up in that order
    Defence should be walker on right, vertongen and when we sign musacchio in central defence with dire and chireches as backup and Davies on the left with rose as backup, with Kabul and Dawson out.
    Defensive Mid should be a rotation of dembele, paulinhio, schniedeline once hopefully signed and capoue. I think we will end up selling sandro or he won't sadly be a main player in our key competitions or games so capital one cup and fa cup for him if not sold
    Attacking mid should have a constant and solid pairing of lamela and erikson unless one has a real major dip of form, with erikson central and lamela preferably on right wing so he can turn in on his left. This leaves Townsend, holtby and depay left to fight for left wing. We would probably use a mixture of holtby and Townsend changing game to game and having depay as a solid sub to wein him in. This would leave Lennon out for the minor games like sandro because of his inconsistency.
    Up front I think we need to sign bony. He is quick and powerful and scores like Adebayor in the 11/12 season when on loan, notably vs Newcastle where he was involved in all 5 goals. Then we use soldado as the back up in the prem and main for Europa, capital one and swaps for the fa cup. This leaves Adebayor as the back up sub for all comps.

So the final formation should be preferably with possible signings:
    Lloris
    Walker, vertongen, musacchio and Davies
    Capoue/ dembele, schneiderlin
    Lamela, erikson, holtby
    Bony

15. Michael Guest

16. Michael Guest

See I like this one alot!

However to start the first few weeks I expect it to be

Walker....Kaboul....Vertonghen. ..Davies
    Capoue
    Bentaleb

Lamela. ..........Eriksen. ..........Lennon

Soldado

And within a few weeks after the guys get their legs back.

Chircheş. ...........Vertonghen
    Walker. .......................................................Davies. Capoue

Dembele......Paulinho. ....................Eriksen
    Lamela

Adebayor

I think we can operate with a single pivot and Capoue can handle that position probably better than Wanyama did at Southampton and Paulihno will be better than last year. You could see it when he was freed up to flow forward with Brazil at the end up the WC when he came on as a sub he made a difference especially against the Dutch. He will be looking to have a better season this year. We will rotate so often that it will be nasty for the opposition to adjust. It will hinge on the play of Capoue really. He holds the key to transitioning and will need to get the ball forward and fast.

17. Pete Deas Guest

You didn't even mention Danny Rose who, with the arrival of Davies could be utilised in midfield as he is a god awful defender!

18. big fran Guest

Fair old point on danny rose. Was initially brought in as left winger and barely played there and its at present a problematic position

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button