Team news and expected line-up vs Newcastle - 18/04/2015

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by josh_b, April 18, 2015.

1. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

After a disappointing run of results that has included some incredibly lackluster performances, Pochettino will be looking at this fixture knowing it is one where we could find some form again.

The last time we played at St James', we decimated Newcastle, winning 4-0 in a comfortable game.

This time out, some of the focus will be on the lack of home fans due to the protest against their owner. This should only serve to motivate our players as our own fans will be considerably louder.

Team news

Vertonghen and Walker are both out, so the big news is that Hugo Lloris returns to the action having missed two games through injury.

The absence of both Vertonghen and Walker leaves a gap in defence that I expect to be filled by Fazio and hopefully Yedlin, who didn't do badly in his cameo last week barring a dangerous challenge in our penalty area almost straight after he came on.

After disappointing performances from two standouts this season in Mason and Bentaleb, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of both of them rested, on place of Dembele and/or Stambouli.

While the same could indeed be said of Eriksen, he offers a lot going forwards that otherwise we just wouldn't have.

For Newcastle, their club captain Fabricio Coloccini returns in the centre of their defence, and Siem de Jong made a return from injury during the week, but the trio of Papiss Cisse, Rolando Aarons and Moussa Sissoko will all miss the game.

Might the Europa League actually be a good thing?

We haven't got into the top four this season because, in short, we have two points out of a possible 18 at home against Aston Villa, Stoke, WBA, West Ham, and today's opponents Newcastle.

If we had won all six, as indeed we should have given the qualities of our respective squads, we would have gained an extra 16 points which would have left us 4 clear above Arsenal, and a win behind Chelsea, ignoring their game in hand. Top four would have been solidified by now.

But seeing as we haven't done that, Europa League football might actually be a good thing.

The likes of Pritchard, Carroll, Yedlin, and Lamela, for example, would all benefit immensely from playing European football. From a development perspective it would be a huge bonus to ensure that these players get time on the pitch.

Ignoring the effects on our league form, which could be nullified if we change the central core of players, are there any negatives to this? If so, I for one don't see them anymore - provided that we buy sensibly in the summer.

Expected line-up

Lloris, Rose, Dier, Fazio, Yedlin, Stambouli, Dembele, Chadli, Eriksen, Townsend, Kane.

2. Spursly Guest

Agree that the Europa league should be used a yoof training ground. Qualifiers and group stage games should see 3 or 4 maturing academy prospects playing alongside more experienced squad players per game. IF we then get through to the new year, we can start making it a serious, determined priority for a relatively fresh 1st team get stuck into.

3. spalan Guest

don't put Chadli in the team Chadli is the worst player in our squad, he hides and lets the rest take the blame mans a coward, just watch him stand close to the defender when we have the ball, then move away from their man so dont have to make a tackle or chase back, just watch you will see he never lets me down, just the team every game, coys

4. totcat New Member

my head says we will try to out bore each other and wait for them to score an own goal to give us an undeserved win, my heart says we will come out all guns blazing and win 10-0, but logic says it will some where in between. the truth is the score is unimportant (as long as we win) it's the way we play that counts, another game like the last two can only be viewed as an insult to us all, the ones who travel, the ones who don't, all our fans around the world but most of all an insult to the name and style of our beloved Tottenham Hotspur. the players must want to be in the "ropey" league as they try so hard through their lack lustre, apathetic performances to achieve this heady height. I know we don't need Europe, Europe need us and we should be granted a permanent place at Europe's top table, for their benefit not ours of course but alas the player still want that good old "ropey league to add to their already extensive résumé. yes it would be good for the youngsters, if we play enough of them enough times. what ever happens I won't leave till the fat lady sings and I'll support the mighty spurs till I die and longer. Tottenham till I die, still Tottenham when I'm dead.

5. Lee butler New Member

Can't see us doing anything out the ordinary in this game . Please not chadli his the worst player I've seen in a spurs shirt for twenty years no doubt he will score tomorrow lol. Yedlin why not let's see what his got plus if you blood him now he will see what it's all about for next season plus walker has been awful . The rest doesn't really matter all much of the same .

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Newcastle will probably win. Our season is long over and this has been a very poor season. Not a lot of progress really.

Lee butler likes this.
  7. Lee butler New Member

Totally agree we have only gone backwards since redknapp left well sacked

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  8. Antoni Jones Guest

Every one saying chadli is bad when he was the one scoring crucial goals. Chelsea, Swansea ,qpr and he was the only one that scores against Stoke. The reason we are fizzing out is because we have played more fixtures than any one and for the majority of our players this is there first top flight season.
    Mason bentaleb Kane lamela diet . Worst people in Spurs shirts right now is the fans and fazio

9. Jonesy Guest

The Redknapp era... Gr8, entertaining times eh. A competitive team, mixing it with Europe's elite. Bale, VdV and Modric - world class players, and only a couple short of being title challengers.

Where has it all gone wrong???

Reckon a point a piece tomorrow; anyhow, I think it's all about improving the performances now. There are a number of players which are playing for their futures with our beloved club; however, for some, it's too late.

I note 2 pts out of that possible 18, and against those teams. That is a truly damning statistic and totally unacceptable; this can't be repeated next season - so so costly...

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Its repeated every season, same excuses wheeled out everytime.

11. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Good comments about the Europa and as hard a it is for some fans to swallow, we qualify, we play. End of.
    I don't see us winning this comp anytime soon and I try not to lose too much sleep when we inevitably drop out
    after the group stages. However, I totally agree with the author, and this has come up several times over the years
    but again, we have a big squad and a lot of youth players that need real competitive games on a regular basis and the Europa is a perfect platform and if we cant handle the pressure of playing twice a week then we should stop bellyaching about not making the CL. Anyway, without the Europa there would be less games to moan about.

Even in our current form surely we should be able to see off Newcastle. I don't see Poch making too many changes and its probably too late and a bit much to ask to bring in certain players that have been left out to rot by the manager but
    id like to see a few changes, Mason and Bentaleb have been woeful lately and should be rested. If Walker is out then maybe Yedlin but I would expect Poch to play Vlad there instead. Agree with others that Chadli has been rubbish lately and id still like to see Rose play further up the field with Davies at LB. Also with Townsend not playing on his natural side and not being played as a winger as such in this compact system, then what's the use of him on the right?
    Id be tempted at this stage of the season where we are lacking in any guile or creativity to try Soldado on the right to back up Kane. He hasn't had his scoring boots on for a while but he does work with the ball well and has assists in him and can be a clever and creative player, he's even been rumoured to have a goal in him. Just a thort.

Lloris

Yedlin Dier Jan ( late test?) Davies

Dembele Stamboul Rose

Eriksen

Soldado Kane

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. big fran Guest

Wonder if MP would be brave enough to debut one or two young players in veljovic carter Vickers McAvoy ceballos maybe pardon the spellings.
    I'd go vorm yedlin Jan dier Davies rose dembele bentaleb Townsend soldado Kane. Resting eriksen for the latter stages and potentially throwing on one of the above kids

13. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Not especially related to the article but there are rumour that Baldini has been sacked for illegal dealings over some players. Just a rumour.

Mattj78 likes this.
  14. Felon82 Well-Known Member

What a surprise that would be!

All i want is a bit of balance n flow to our play today last 3/4 games have been an insult to the fans

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button