Team news and expected line-up against West ham - 16/08/2014

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Callum, August 15, 2014.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

Mauricio Pochettino will be targeting a positive result in his first competitive game as Spurs boss when Tottenham get their Premier League campaign underway with a tricky fixture against West Ham United at Upton Park.

Bolstered by the additions of Michel Vorm, Ben Davies and Eric Dier, Spurs will be looking to avenge last season's defeats against the Hammers.

History doesn't favour the Lilywhites who have only managed seven wins on the opening day of the season since the inauguration of the Premier League in 1992.

West Ham, meanwhile, have made six summer signings of their own. Sam Allardyce will be hoping the acquisitions of Aaron Creswell, Carl Jenkinson, Cheikhou Kouyate, Diego Poyet, Enner Valencia and Mauro Zarate inject a new lease of life into the side.

The Hammers go into the game in a dismal run of form having only managed to record one pre-season victory out of a possible nine in normal time.

The last time these two sides met at Upton Park was back in May of this year. West Ham picked up all three points courtesy of a first-half strike from Stewart Downing and an own goal by Harry Kane.

What they said...

Mauricio Pochettino on implementing his style of play...

“We know we need time to improve our new system, our new philosophy, but we are very happy at the moment.”

Lewis Holtby on the importance of Saturday's clash...

“If we could win at Upton Park I think that would mean a lot to the fans, especially after last year. Everyone’s really up for it and we can’t wait to kick off.”

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce on what this match means to the fans...

“It's a very exciting fixture for us to have, very exciting for the players and the fans and everybody surrounding West Ham - a big local derby to start the season off.”

Team News

Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele, Paulinho and Jan Vertonghen are struggling for fitness having returned to pre-season training late due to their participation at the World Cup. Vlad Chiriches (back), Michael Dawson (ankle) and Kyle Walker (pelvis) are doubts.

Possible Line-up

Lloris; Naughton, Dawson, Kaboul, Davies; Capoue, Holtby; Lamela, Eriksen, Lennon; Adebayor (4-2-3-1)

2. stevethespur Active Member

Be a tough game in east london. Be interesting to see the starting eleven, could Dier start due to injuries ? I hope he gets his chance. Time for Lamela to star. Lets get Ade up for it as i feel he'll be key if we're to get a result. Coys.

3. Coys2014 Guest

Rose should come in for Naughton and Dier should replace Dawson. Both of them were really poor last season and cost us a lot of goals.

4. fxfx Guest

This will be a good test for Spurs. Get a win and it could be a launch pad to a good season.

5. rob Guest

My god. Dawson Naughton and Lennon? Have I been looking forward to this game for these 3 mu poets to destroy my soul. Please Mauricio nooooooo

Felon82 likes this.
  6. stevethespur Active Member

We've had the oppurtunity to improve our defence but haven't taken it. We haven't spent big money in that area whilst man city and chelski continually spend and improve. Hope Davies and Dier can do well but its a big ask. Looks like we're starting the season without Vlad, Walker, and Verts fit. Daws and Kabs wont lack for heart or commitment but we know they can be exposed. Coys

notnats and Felon82 like this.
  7. Tony Petts Guest

We will play Vertonghen as he will get through over Dier. Will be Lloris, Naughton, Kaboul, Verts, Rose/Davies: Capoue/Sandro, Holtby: Lennon, Lamela, Eriksen: Ade. Keep it tight, smother Wet Spam and counter with pace to win by a couple. 3pts is everything after last season.

8. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Look, Pochettino has the credentials to get the best out of players. Half of the Southampton team that have been sold were hardly setting the World on fire before he arrived now we're they. Dier looked very comfortable against Schalke and he has looked very good when playing for the England under 21's.
    Lennon seems to be in a free role and I expect him to be in that position against the Spammers. Providing Adebayor shows a full season of commitment, there is no reason at all why he can't get twenty plus goals, and I think Lamela will shock the league this season. Soldado did not become a bad player overnight and has the capability to score twenty odd goals as well. Last season he was badly managed and when he did score he got dropped the next game. That is not the way to breed confidence!!
    Rose in pre season actually looked confident and was staying in position.
    I am usually a pessimistic Spurs fan but I think we will wi l silverware this season.
    Mind you, come quarter to five tomorrow my reality beacon will probably light up again!!!

9. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

I'm excited about the season. I expect Lamela to flourish under Poch. It's important that we get a good strong start to the season, it'll ease lots of the pressure off for fans and players alike.
    I'm hoping for the following line-up.
    Lloris, Naughton, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Davies, Capoue, Holtby, Lamela, Eriksen, Lennon, Ade. Soldado to sub early in the 2nd half depending on how the game's going.

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I dont care who plays as long as they turn up understanding the magnitude of this game and rise accordingly to the challenge. Its Scummy WHU who beat us 3 times last season- losing is not an option!
    Show some pride and bring back the 3 points so we can head into the season with some belief!

notnats, stevethespur and Mattj78 like this.
  11. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

What a game to kick the season off, both teams will be up for this one. I do think this is a tough test for Poch's first league game as I expect WH to play their usual ugly game with five in the middle and try to outmuscle and dominate us in that area and then exploit our high line. It worked for them last year as we know, and even Poch himself had no joy against the hammers last year with a draw and a loss with soton. I expect Poch to start with his favoured 4-2-3-1 but I wouldn't mind us starting with three in the middle at least until the game settles and we can dominate possession.
    Lloris, Naut'n, Kaboul, Jan/Dier, Davies,
    Capoue, Sandro, Holtby,
    Lamela, Eriksen,
    Ade
    Bit concerned with our CBs with Dier already a big chance to start, got a feeling we will see a lot of this kid this season, could be our best signing. Ade will start but I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Soldado, Lennon or Townsend to add some pace against tired legs later on. Counting the hours, COYMFS...

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

And so the Day has arrived. That one day in the year when you wake up early like an excited kid at Christmas full of hope and optimism, only for it to be ruined by eleven idiots come quarter to five!!!
    This year will be different though!!!!!

COME ON YOU LILLYWHITES!!
    WNBMBNRAWB!!!!

notnats likes this.
  13. eli Guest

bantaleb and rose in the starting 11 pochetino has made his first mistake as spuss manager

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button