Team news and expected line-up against QPR - 24/08/2014

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Callum, August 23, 2014.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

Spurs will be looking to build on last weekend's dramatic late victory against West Ham United when they face another London opponent in the shape of Queens Park Rangers.

The game will mark Harry Redknapp's return to the White Hart Lane dugout for the first time since being sacked as Spurs boss two years ago. Redknapp will be accompanied by club legend Glenn Hoddle who recent linked up with Joe Jordan and Kevin Bond as part of Rangers’ coaching team.

Pochettino is expected to ring the changes following a midweek victory against AEL Limassol in the Europa League. This could mean a return to league action for Tottenham's World Cup contingent including Jan Vertonghen, Mousa Dembélé, Nacer Chadli and Paulinho.

The Argentine will no doubt be aware of the club's terrific home form in 2014 which has seen them win all but two of their league games at White Hart Lane. Spurs have also not lost to a promoted team in 12 matches since a 1-0 defeat to QPR in April 2012.

The last time these two sides met in North London was back in September 2012. Spurs triumphed 2-1 thanks to two goals in as many minutes from Alejandro Faurlín (o.g.) and Jermain Defoe.

What they said...

Pochettino on QPR:
    “We watch a lot of games from them, and the last game they played well.
    “But, in football, not always when you play well, you win. It is a derby, we expect a very, very tough game.
    “I am looking forward to it, my first official game at White Hart Lane in front of our supporters.
    "It is important to win, play well and develop our style and improve, which is important in each game, to try and improve.”

Mauricio Pochettino on former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp:
    “I have full respect for him. He was born on the same day as me, March 2, so he is a special person too like me. I know about Harry Redknapp, I have full respect for him and he, too, was the manager of Southampton and Tottenham.”

Harry Redknapp on his return to White Hart Lane:
    “I had a fantastic time at Tottenham. I had three and a half years there and I loved every minute of it. I’m looking forward to going back and seeing lots of old faces and friends, but we’ll try to get the three points.”

Jan Vertonghen on the threat Queens Park Rangers pose:
    “They are a very dangerous team with lots of quality and very good strikers. It surprised me a little that they lost at home but they are a strong team and it will be a test.”

Team News

Emmanuel Adebayor, Christian Eriksen, Younes Kaboul and Aaron Lennon are back in the frame to feature on Sunday. Kyle Naughton is suspended following his sending off at West Ham while Kyle Walker (pelvis) and Vlad Chiriches (back) remain sidelined.

Possible line-up

Lloris; Dier, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose; Capoue, Bentaleb; Lamela, Eriksen, Lennon; Adebayor (4-2-3-1)

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Game aside, I have always said and always will say that Harry served us well and was only sacked due to the ego of mr levy. Since Harry left our league position has gone backward. These are facts.

Felon82 likes this.
  3. J O'Neill New Member

I don't remember Harry being sacked, he finished his contract and the club didn't renew it, which is their prerogative, he didn't want it renewed when he thought he was in with a chance of the England job, others had ruled themselves out, they showed loyalty to their clubs, it was only when the England job was gone that Harry wanted his contract extended, you can't have your cake and eat it

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. SATB Guest

Levy backed Redknapp during his court trail and how did harry thank him? By making googly eyes at the FA instead of focusing on the job of getting spurs into the top 4.Harry should of been counting his blessings when levy gave him a job at a top english club. Yes harry did well but he also aliented quality players like pienaar and kranjcar by refusing to rotate his team in the league. harry severed the club well but levy was RIGHT to sack him!

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Think it was time to go for Arry he flirted with the England job far too much, he did have his limits when it came to rotation and a plan b. But having said that some of the football played under him was the best ive seen in my lifetime at Spurs and i for 1 miss that compared to the robotic dross weve churned out since.
    At the time i thought he should go but only if there was a better replacement- AVB was not, lets hope Poch can emulate the work Arry did.
    Think Arry should get a warm welcome whenever hes back at the Lane QF of the CL, top 4 twice and saved us from relegation he deserves it!
    Then hopefully 3 points for the Spurs!!

Mattj78 and notnats like this.
  6. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

C'mon who hasn't got a soft spot for Harry? it will be good to see him back at the lane. Great character but he did let his ambitions and his ego go to his head, I think he was also being naughty by flirting with the Chelsea job for a moment too when he was bookies favourite albeit for a brief moment. I think he took us as far as he could after relations between he and Levy broke down and then he demanded a pay rise. brilliant. Looking forward to the game, always a tough one but I expect us to edge this one 2-0. COYS..

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Neil Guest

2 years on and u all forget how every one of u was willing Harry not to get the England job and stay as our manager he should get a standing ovation and me for one think he should be back at the helm

8. Gimpster

Gimpster New Member

Harry makes transfer dead line day the most exciting day of the season for that alone I love him.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. big fran Guest

Let's be honest harry did a 'triffic' job at spurs and took us to his peak. One or two times IMO he could and should have been backed but tactical nouse defo held him back. Many come on here and say the club lack ambition but maybe it was too much ambition that forced the sacking.. Anyhow we are where we are and time and football moves on and its time to back poch after a positive start. Let's also back soldado and lamela after a positive midweek showing to spur them on. I'd go with a 442 today lloris dier kaboul JV Davies dembele capoue eriksen lamela ade soldado.
    Also would like to add selling Sandro would represent a massive mistake and loss for the club as I believe he is one of the few world class players we have and would like to see him rotated with capoue and paired with him v the big four in a 4231 formation. Chiriches also worth keeping for a while longer yet!

10. notnats

Lloris, Dier, Kaboul, Jan, Rose, Capoue, Holtby/Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen,Kane, Ade.
    4-4-1-1 Not sure about Davies, looks like he needs a bit more time, like to see both Holtby and Dembele get some time on pitch, both Eriksen and Lamela need to put in and Kane and Ade to both score.

11. Mattj78

Whatever Harry did or didn't do in relation to the England job etc, I find it ludicrous that so many Spurs fans have very quickly forgotten what Harry did while in charge if Spurs. He came in and took over when we had two points and we're going absolutely nowhere. A season later we were in the champions league giving Inter Milan the game of their lives and Gareth Bale being nurtured into top class player, making Maicon look like the worst right back you had ever seen.
    We should have finished third under Harry but we lost our way and, yes, he made some bad decisions, but the players also lost focus. However, we still finished fourth, again. Other than not winning a trophy, Harry was without doubt our most successful manager in the premier league era, delivering TWO top four finishes and some brilliant football to boot.
    We got to two FA cup semi finals and although no silverware ended up where it belongs! Spurs under Harry were exciting to watch and gave the top four and the best in Europe a real run for their money.
    Would someone like to tell me when that has happened since he left or when it has even looked remotely likely?
    It hasn't that is why!

Anybody who boos Harry today is short sighted and should perhaps think about what they actually want for the Spurs. Harry Redknapp did a fantastic job, not perfect, but he laid the foundations for Spurs pushing to be a consistent top four club. You simply cannot ignore that point, and anyone who does May as we'll take a hike and go and support the Woolwich Wanderers.

As always, COME ON YOU SPURS! And welcome back Harry and God.

12. Mattj78

I really have no idea why Kaboul is captain. For me he simply does not lead by example and his performances are not good enough. Loris should be captain in all games for me.
    Slightly worried as to why Bentaleb is still considered good enough to start though. Hoping fir lamela to rally show what he is capable of at this level today. Was hoping to see Soldado start.

notnats likes this.
  13. notnats

Agree, the club needs to make a decision as to who captains this team. For me its also Lloris.

14. Mattj78

Brilliant first half from the Spurs! Lamela looks a different player and the first half is why I am so excited about the new manager. Rose and Dier have gt forward and overlapped well, Eriksennhas shown some beautiful touches on the ball and Chadli looks strong and composed.
    One person who comes in for criticism, not least from me, is Bentaleb but he has been superb in that first half, really positive going forwards.
    More of the same in the second half please lads and I would like to see Soldado come on. Poor finishing from Adebayor means it is only three nil at the break, but if we keep up the possession and tempo, we could be looking at a Wigan score line!!
    Come on you Spuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrsssss!!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button