Team news and expected line-up against Hull City

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by josh_b, May 15, 2015.

1. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

In a game that will no doubt be overshadowed by ex-Spur Jake Livermore's failed drug test, Spurs 'entertain' Hull City in a game the away team simply have to win.

From a Spurs point of view, there is very little riding on this game and as such it will hopefully be a place to showcase younger players against a team that could easily go down.

Onto the summer already?

As I am writing this, I have seen the Metro link us to three separate players - Jackson Martinez, Schneiderlin, and Claudio Beauvue - the latter, for those who aren't familiar with FC Guingamp from Ligue 1, is a 27 year old striker who has managed 21 goals in an average team in an average league.

The fee is estimated to be around £6million and this looks to be a signing for the sake of a signing - I cannot imagine Pochettino, Levy, or Mitchell are particularly excited about him.

The other two, however, are players I would love to see at the Lane; Martinez has the physical capability to play in the Premier League; similar in playstyle to Benteke and Drogba; and Schneiderlin needs little introduction to all of us.

It seems to me that the remaining two games really don't matter, and although it would be pleasant to win the last two games of the season I don't see it happening either!

The opposition

Jake Livermore is out of the game due to failing his drugs test; Michael Dawson may return to the Lane and should be sure of a warm reception. Gaston Ramirez (hamstring), Mohamed Diame (knee) and Robert Snodgrass (knee) are all out due to long term injuries, but the rest of the squad are fully fit.

Hull find themselves in the relegation zone with two games left against us and Manchester United - so they would really have to beat us to have any chance of maintaining Premier League status.

The Lilywhites

Danny Rose returns to the squad in what is a welcome return, whereas Chiriches is suspended (hurrah!) and Adebayor a doubt through illness.

Two of our other fullbacks in Davies and Walker (shoulder and foot respectively) miss out so hopefully Yedlin is finally given a game at right back.

With performances recently one can hope the likes of Dembele will return to provide some midfield steel which has been lacking in recent games.

Our whole team has been sluggish of late but I don't expect wholesale changes - although I wouldn't be surprised either if Kane, Eriksen, Chadli and/or Mason drop to the bench.

With any luck some of our younger players will make appearances too - what better situation for the likes of Josh Onomah to get Premier League minutes?

Predicted starting XI

Lloris, Rose, Vertonghen, Fazio, Yedlin, Dembele, Mason, Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela, Kane

2. Rob G New Member

Just seeing Dembele's name in the XI is enough to stir up all the emotions he has caused over the past few years. Excitement, followed by frustration, then uncertainty, doubt, anger. I think denial and acceptance are in there somewhere too - not sure where though ;)

Jacob likes this.
  3. big fran Guest

No chance on Schneiderlin or Martinez.

4. Jacob New Member

Poch can't keep playing Chadli AND Lamela. We need at least one real winger.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I can see it now-

Asked for Martinez & Schneiderlin
    Gets Akinfenwa & Barton

6. big fran Guest

Was very interested and also refreshing the other day to hear MP openly state we need 5 players to compete for top four. Also he said that the type of player and price range needs to be changed which I agree. The big money buys simply have not worked out and we have done well signing up and coming gems like carrick berba modders bale etc but recently not acted quick
    Enough to snatch the hazard and Oscars etc.
    But the five signings would have to be quality as to which we don't have the funds unless we manage to shift six or seven. Free transfers could be an option the likes of milner konoplkplaya Adriano for example meaning we could spend big on the other two signings. For me a right sided centre half is needed a quality cm x2 a winger come striker and a striker come no 10.
    Miralles berahino ings all great options.
    My choices would be schaar mirrales ings/berahino and Christ only knows for cm!!

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

When was the last time we got a window right???
    Quality costs money its as simple as that - pay peanuts n u get......
    There are exceptions to the rule due to contracts and good scouting but this phobia of spending big on players due to the car crash spending of Baldini and Levy is based around spending big money on 2 players that were always going to fail.
    Soldado was bought on record alone not his atributes and how that would compliment the team hes a box player that needs it on a plate not a powerful runner able to deal with powerful centre halfs etc, now had we bought Benteke (which i banged the drum for) for the same amount wed be in a totally different position.
    30 mil on Lamela was just a massive gamble a club of Spurs size cannot depart with 30mil on a prospect it has to be a big ready made player not a timid boy.
    Every window is a mirror of the last its quite obvious what we need but we NEVER remedy it by close.
    We NEED another striker, we need pace and width with quality, we need a general in midfield, we need 2 imposing and pacey CBs, and even a decent RB.
    And all need to be of solid prem to higher quality if were to even entertain top 4 or trophies.
    Fail this and they fail the club and fans once again following the leadership of the master failure Daniel Levy.

8. rchaste New Member

Great hearing who you would target Big Fran - agree those would look like good signings. Guess with the likes of Ings and Berahino it depends who else goes in for them as to if we would have a chance, but would love Berahino personally. Not sure how much Oscar and Hazard were ever realistic - think its probably hard to sign someone under the noses of a club like chelsea in the world of agents we have nowadays, unless your a couple of years before them. It does seem like we could be a bit bolder sometimes - like with Depay and schneiderlin last summer and Bony / Benteke before that. We put in 15 mill for Depay last summer apparently - you wonder what would happen if we would have bid 20 - 25, but at the same time, as Felon points out, a club like us can not always afford to take a gamble of bidding that much for a prospect. Would love to hear who everyone else thinks we should go for? I would still love Rabbiot if there was a chance... probably not though.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button