Solid, professional Spurs cruise into last 16

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, February 25, 2016.

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

After losing to Palace in the cup last time out, it was important that Spurs gave a good account of themselves tonight and bounce back with a win. With Kane and Dembele out, Chadli led the line and Mason came in in midfield.
    And did we miss them? No we didn't!! And that shows that this Spurs team is very strong. Mason was effective and scored a lovely goal in the first half after a lovely ball from Alli.
    Chadli was not exuberant but he led the line well and put in a good shift.
    Sadly Alli was booked and misses the 1st leg of the next round. It was never a booking but there we go.

Lloris was rarely troubled but was alert when he needed to be and had a good game as our sweeper!!!

Wimmer and Toby were excellent at the back and Tripper again showed why he should start ahead of Walker. Toby is just an outstanding player. His passing is world class. He is world class. Absolutely outstanding.

Lamela worked hard as he does now a days and I was delighted he got his goal tonight.

Eriksen scurried and hurried the play and Alli embodied the pressing game with aplomb.

Excellent at the back, solid and dominant in midfield with 3 goals to boot too. And a fabulous atmosphere at the Lane.

The next week is a big one for Spurs. Swansea at the Lane, The Spam at their place before, in 9 days time, what could be one of the biggest North London Derbies for years.

It's all to play for.

As ever, come on you Spurs!!!!

bruski and Deggsy56 like this.
  2. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

This was a fantastic team performance, with all players putting in a real shift. The more I see of Trippier, the more I like him. Everybody run hard, harried, covered, broke quickly, created chances and took them. One of our best EL performances. Proud of all of them tonight.
    COYS

notnats and TerryMcC like this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The work rate was brilliant, and we are moving the ball around quicker with much more purpose these days which is having a much better effect going forward.
    Also we attack in numbers and as a unit something ive been crying out for last 3/4 years.
    It was a professional performance that showed character and the desire to win.
    Great win great result

As the Spurs go marching ooooon

4. N4 bred Guest

I follow this site fairly regularly but first time I've posted. Interesting statistic that fiorentina had marginally more possession than us (according to BBC stats). Can't say I've seen that too often this season but I take it as a positive that we can mix it up a bit. I didn't see the game (I'm in the USA hence its in the middle of my working day) but glad to see we can still score without Kane.

bruski and Mattj78 like this.
  5. bruski

bruski Active Member

I've been following my Lillywhites for 50 years and I've seldom been more proud of our performance. WE ARE A TEAM!! Astonishing thing to say in a team game but it rarely happens, Leicester also embodying that ethos to perfection. I have to highlight two people who I believe are the catalysts for our recent success and they are our glorious leader Poch and young Deli (no I'm not forgetting Harry). Significantly Poch says Deli reminds him of his young self and that's exactly how it looks. Alli gives us flair, graft, attitude, passion, skill, difference, and the list goes on, and all that is very infectious within a team environment. And doesn't Poch represent us so professionally? You can tell how well he is regarded by the warm greeting he always gives and receives to other managers. Mr Levy......look after this manager and team please. I am a very happy Taffy this morning.
    COYS!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. guesty Guest

the great thing is that we can all perhaps pick a different player. they all individually bring much to the team.
    For me....I like Dier in the defensive midfield role. ...he is a mountain. just everywhere he needs to be.

but the players have just somehow got it this season...in terms of what Pochy wants.
    It would be brilliant to win something.....but the potential is there for a few years to come. ...we are here to stay and everyone knows it.

we do indeed now have a 'team'. forwards word hard to win the ball back....which allows the team to press.
    great to watch

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. burnt Guest

You'd have to feel sorry for poor Dortmund , getting the toughest draw in the hat ...... C.O.Y.S ......

Mattj78, Bazza47, Remy Uwilin and 2 others like this.
  8. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Aston Villa tie should be moved to Sunday, shouldn't it?

9. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Great result for Poch and the boys, what a performance. I was really impressed with the team effort both with and without the ball, this sort of play is becoming a normality and that is fantastic to see. The effort especially in the defensive side of the ball is what truly stoodout, Fiorentina never had anytime on the ball without 2 to 3 spurs players surrounding and winning the ball back especially within our defensive 3rd. This defensive mindset is going to be very beneficially for us playing in European competitions; good defensive sides always fair well. We'll be well tested against Borussia Dortmund; very optimistic about our odds.

On the game, what a shift for the boys; Dembele and Kane being out. The squad showed that we're far more than just a team that depends on a few key players. The whole team was on full display yesterday, no one player was carried.

Last topic I'll comment on is the notion that Trippier performance earns him a spot over Walker in the league games, Walker hasn't been under performing. Personally I believe Walker's game is well suited for the premier in terms of speed in recovery and strength. Overall defensively he's more experienced; that makes a big difference in the premier. Although, granted going forward Trippier's better. Overall rotation of Rose/Walker, Davies/Trippier is fairing well, why mess it up?

Last edited: February 26, 2016
    notnats likes this.
  10. johnnyhrvat Guest

I'm very happy for the Fiorentina fans - they got to experience a great stadium, a great atmosphere and watch a great team play football.

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Remy Uwilin like this.
  11. Tottenhamlover

Tottenhamlover Member

Great comment from Burnt...
    However Dortmund will be a tough test, and it gives us great experience for the CL next year
    COYS

12. Bazza47

You've have to meet the good ones sometime, why not now.....a great test, looking forward to seeing how we fare....

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. Spurporter Well-Known Member

We would rather meet the better once a little later, next round may be. To have a chance in EL Poch needs to send the strongest team to Germany. Practically impossible, unless he snubs NLD (taken place 4 days earlier) one more time, which should not and will not happen.
    In some sense Spurs are back to last year...

14. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Fantastic draw for us after all these are the games we all want to see. Have to admit to being a fan of Thomas Tuchel who I had touted as a potential manager before Poch was appointed. These are two of the best young managers in the world and a very interesting tactical matchup.
    Tuchel also likes to play possession football but unlike his limited predecessor Klopp, he has a plan A, B, C and D.
    he has in the past done a number on teams, particularly those who depend on their FBs because he knows that most play starts with the FBs and so he will try to close them down and frustrate our go forward and momentum, this tie is a tactical test for our young manager and he will need to out think his opponent and be able to make tactical changes where necessary.
    Looking forward to this one as well as a few other massive games coming up the pressure is on and we will see who wants it. COYS

Mattj78 likes this.
  15. I watched the game without sound on my tablet while at a business meeting in Texas.

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. Bazza47

Doubtless Harold watching Spurs was a good deal better than your meeting...lol...

Mattj78 likes this.
  17. Mattj78

Leicester now only have 11 games left. A United win by a few goals would be handy followed by our win emphatic win over Swansea. Our goal difference could be vital come May.

18. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

It may already have been said but I like the difference in play style of our fullbacks - when we have to break teams down and score scrappy goals against teams who come to defend, Trippier is far more effective than Walker, who is better against big teams who play with pace. It's just nice that we don't weaken the team by taking players out.
    Also, atmosphere was great, the Park Lane/Shelfside chant went on for a good 10 minutes and credit to the two guys at the back of north upper who screamed 'yid army' at each other for a good five minutes on their own!!

Remy Uwilin and Mattj78 like this.
  19. Mattj78

It also means we are getting to the bi line and getting early balls in rather than all that inverted nonsense.
    I have said on many occasions that having to come back on your favoured foot allows defences to get back and makes defending easier. Our 3rd goal on Thursday showed that. Either a striker or defender ends up putting the ball into the goal.

20. N4 bred Guest

Hah love it!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button