Pundit full of praise for Tottenham's reaction after cup final defeat

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, March 12, 2015.

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

Tottenham have been praised by leading pundit Andy Gray for their reaction to Capital One Cup final defeat to Chelsea, with the former Everton striker admitting that the club stand a good chance of a top-four finish.

The team suffered a tough week following elimination from the Europa League and defeat at Wembley, but Mauricio Pochettino’s men have dusted themselves down and got on with the job at hand.

Wins over Swansea at home and QPR away mean that Spurs are right in the reckoning for Champions League qualification, with the eventual top four seemingly not set to be decided until late in the campaign.

Gray was full of praise for the side on talkSPORT and stated that we have shown resilience since the disappointment of Wembley.

“I like Spurs, I thought their response to losing the final has been great, two games in quick succession and six points out of six.

“I think that was terrific and it shows that he's got them going Pochettino and he's kept them there, so I think they definitely could be there.”

Spurs certainly have shown mental toughness through the campaign, with the guts to come back from deficits and scoring late goals to get results very positive signs for the club.

Previously, especially in Harry Redknapp’s tenure as manager, Spurs had the opposite mentality and despite playing some scintillating football at times were always susceptible to collapse.

Under Redknapp Spurs were being mentioned as potential title chasers at the halfway stage of seasons, only to fall away and suffer disappointing defeats in a spiral of low confidence.

The fact that this young Spurs team have defied that recent track record and shown that they are capable of performing well after disappointment can only bode well for the future and our chances of top four football this season.

The acid test will come at Old Trafford this weekend, with a positive result a necessity if our dreams of Champions League football in 2015-16 are to have any chance of becoming reality.

Louis van Gaal’s side are right in the mix with us; a victory would see Spurs leapfrog United and make quite the statement of intent.

With our North London rivals going to Old Trafford and winning in the FA Cup on Monday and the hosts not looking anywhere near as strong as previous United teams, they are there for the taking.

Gray’s words are all well and good, but winning at United would show that Spurs are serious in the ambition of finishing in the top four and this new-found resilience is not just a temporary measure.

2. mike New Member

If Spurs win 15-0 then we would leap frog them. Can't see that happening tho' can you?

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. John Guest

It wouldn't need 15 nil, as their goal difference goes down by one and ours up by one for every goal we beat them by. Seven nil would be enough to draw level, but i cannot see that happening either. I can see a Spurs win however.

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

An absolute must win game.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button