Post-match Blog - Burnley 1-1 Spurs

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, January 5, 2015.

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Our awkward FA Cup 3rd Round tie away at Burnley threw up a result which nobody wanted thanks to Sam Vokes’ leveller at Turf More.

Mauricio Pochettino left Harry Kane on the bench for the clash which saw a pitiful attendance of just over 9,000 made up of over 2,000 travelling Spurs fans, but named a strong side with Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli making the cut.

And, with the game ‘s failure to be televised, the majority of the support was relying on audio commentary to provide coverage of what was an unbelievably uneventful first 45 minutes of football.

Pochettino required his substitutes to reinvigorate a dying game and once again Harry Kane was the man to inject some much needed energy into the side.

The 21-year-old pushed Christian Eriksen out to the wing and played in behind a lacklustre Roberto Soldado as Spurs took a slightly deserved second half lead thanks to Nacer Chadli, the Belgian hitting his 9th goal of the season thanks to Ben Davies’ cross.

But the elusive second goal never came and it was that that allowed Burnley back into the game. While Poch threw on Andros Townsend to try to stretch the tiring Clarets, Sam Vokes found the bottom corner in only his second game back from injury to seal the replay.

That adds yet another fixture to the growing list that now backs up the Tottenham diary, with progression in the Europa League and a Capital One Cup semi-final as well as our Premier League adventures.

This game was a non-starter, with the radio commentators even taking a pop at the two staggering sides during a first period which saw more fouls than chances created, and not a single effort on goal.

It wasn’t the night we had hoped for in the FA Cup, with the dismal turnout and astounding lack of television coverage adding to the decease of the occasion. The traveling 2,494 Yids can be our biggest positive from tonight as their support was once again unbounding.

The replay at White Hart Lane will surely be a more open affair…

Boss Mauricio Pochettino after the game:
    “"The first half was difficult and poor. But the second half was a turnaround. We scored and the game was ours but you never give up and they got back in the game. I am disappointed because we have to play another game. We have a lot of games ahead.

"Amazing support from our fans. Thank you very much."

2. Ricky Vee Guest

Surprised to see Burnley field such a strong team with survival in the league a more pressing issue. This tie was definitely a banana-skin which makes the draw a decent result for Spurs. Personally any chance I get to watch Spurs play is a good thing so the more games we have the better. Keep 'em coming. Coys

3. Luka Modric Guest

I thought we had more their than 2,500?

The away end was the, Cricket Field Stand (or The David Fishwick Stand) 4112 Capacity
    It was easily 3/4 full. See picture 12 of this lot,
    http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/gallery-burnley-1-1-tottenham-2184812.aspx?
    The rest of the stand was totally ramo?

Anyway, superb support for a Monday night. I note the 4k plus for the Wednesday night semi at Sheffield is sold out you needed 344 loyalty points if you were a member to get a ticket. (You could of got 4 points for attending last night).

Re the game, I'm worried about the lack of creativity, but lets be fair a tricky game we didn't lose they are good at home and we must take the positives i.e. it gives us another chance to see some of the fringe players and of course we didn't lose the game.

4. JimboSpurs Guest

In essence this was a Premier League match played away on a Monday and we did well to stay in the cup but given the money spent on that starting eleven what 130 million and the rest? You would expect a bit more. We definitely need some attacking players if a choice attacker gets injured where are the goals and chances going to come from? And why Townsend didn't start on the other flank is a very worrying managerial tactic in my mind.

Felon82 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button