Pochettino reveals plans for the transfer window

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, December 24, 2014.

1. Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    In a similar twist of fate, Mauricio Pochettino has hinted that he is unlikely to sign players during this January transfer window. Over a year ago, then-Spurs boss Tim Sherwood also told the British press that he too was not expecting any incomings at the club.

However, where Sherwood turned down Levy’s offer of signing players in order to prove his worth of getting the best out of the squad, current-boss Pochettino is said to be happy with his squad and does not want to put pressure on chairman Daniel Levy to panic buy.

What Poch said

In his pre-match press conference, Pochettino was routinely asked about Tottenham’s plans during the up-and-coming window, to which he replied: “January is not about whether we sign a player or not. I am happy with my squad.

I never put pressure on the club to sign a player. As head coach I try to explain to the chairman and the sporting director my thoughts and after we decide together what is best for the club.”

Poch’s response was carefully constructed, as he was keen to show that transfer policy now involves a decision from many, not merely one. With Paul Mitchell now at the club, it is said that Spurs’ new transfer policy will be based on a joint decision – restricting individuals *cough* Levy and Baldini *cough* from going out and buying on their own assumption.

Window of opportunity but at a price

The January window is an exciting period for fans and when their club refuses to invest or then invests in the wrong players, they are left disheartened. In a vice-versa role, the majority of clubs are very much against the window. This is because player prices usually inflate as clubs become desperate to buy while the seller less likely to do business.

Pochettino’s first season at the club is merely to keep the Spurs ship sailing – a rebuilding process us fans have said of it. As a result, it is unlikely we will invest millions so early into the new manager’s rein. But then again, we usually never invest heavily in January!

To analyse Poch’s quotes even further, he has not explicitly said that he doesn’t want signings. He has said that he does not ‘expect’ signings, as if to suggest Spurs will operate on a deal-by-deal basis, only entering into the market if the right player becomes available at the right price.

Buys will depend on winter sales

As many have suggested, Poch needs to gut the squad of the poison and the deadwood, it is promising to see the papers reporting exits from Spurs rather than questionable incomings.

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

We need to sell and buy. He cannot be happy with his squad. We have a lot if deadwood that makes up a big squad, but we need a squad with quality.
    If he is happy with what he has, then the men in white coats should take him away.

notnats and Felon82 like this.
  3. jay Guest

OUT townsend, adebayor, naughton, the Romanian fella who has played so little part for us I cant even spell his name, maybe dembele and lennon if the price is right, IN, I think these 3 players turn us into a top 4 side, konapayanker who is quick on the turn and quick when running with the ball, takes corners and freekicks and can play left right or behind the forward. schneiderlin class act, and a solid centerback. done deal. coys

4. Sigurd Guest

Poch is deep in Levy's pocket. But there are many players who could leave. Chirices, Paulinho, Soldado, are to me the most obvious ones. Then get a forward, Berahino, and a stopper, centre back, and a midfielder. Do you hear me DL?

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Poch as was Sherwood as was AvB (as was Arry to an extent) has been given the directive behind closed doors- we are not spending any money, but for P.R say your happy with the squad.
    Poch is another puppet in the Enic scam who will be taking the fall sooner or later for the boards total ignorance, contempt and lack of ambition.
    We need to start doing some buisness, there are way too many wage thieves, passengers and sub standard players in this squad who will never play to Pochs style or the level needed to take the club forward.
    If this is as has been played out so many times over the past decade 'a transitional' then surely the work needs to start being put in place to be ready for the start of next season? Else this is not a transitional it is a waste of everyones time.
    Clear the decks- Identify 5 main priority end product targets get 2 in January the other 3 end of season promote some youth to make up the numbers and balance the books.
    We need some pro activity for far too long the silent dictator has held this club back playing glorified swapsies, we need some investment and we need a manager with the balls to stand up for what he believes in and be given the players he wants/needs to execute his plans.
    Same old same old we need at least 1 new proper CB, we need end product width and for Christ sake Bony or/and Benteke wake up the Board and wake up the fans that are being conned everytime they fail to deliver these basics to the team.

6. The Cockerel

The Cockerel Member

Once again, as we approach the mid-term transfer window, some Spurs fans are beginning to behave like spoilt children again. They want almost every toy in the shop, with no consideration for how much it will all cost and who will pay for them. Back here in the real world, Spurs will probably do some business, getting in another striker to supplement HK is vital. The rest is dependent on who we can ship out . We'll probably get another central defender if we can get rid of Kaboul and Chiriches (preferably both). My suspicion is that DeAndre Yedlin will probably start as an attacking winger, once he settles in, given his mad pace and attacking instincts. That may put an end to Aaron Lennon or Andros Townsend's Spurs career, may even both of them. Paulinho should also leave in January if we can find suitor we like ( we're talking money here ).
    It's important to remember that both Levy and Pochettino are looking to make player transfer decisions with a medium to long term view in mind, so there will be no short term panic buys, no matter how loud a section of our fans scream.
    Finally, we WON'T be buying Saido Berahino for £25 million because he's not worth that sum of money. £15m-£17m, maybe, but no more than that. For £25million we're talking Bony and Benteke class, proven leaders on the pitch, not apprentices with potential.

notnats and Deggsy56 like this.
  7. Bazza1947 Guest

Can't remember my password, so I'm guesting.

Let's hypothesise that really thinks we will not add to the squad, or change out players, then one of two fairly simple conclusions can be draw:
    - he doesn't have a clue
    - it's the Royal we talking and Blofeld has put the kibosh on any money being spent
    Or both are true.
    If we were to try to make this "self financing"....sell Soldado, Paulinho, Lennon, Adeybayor....say you get £25m....then buy Benteke. Wages of those 4 - £16m. Benteke £4m. So buy a decent centreback or a winger for £12m and it's all paid for in a year. Also sell Vertonghen if he really wants to go, you'd get good money, reinvest, still cash neutral.

Either way we need a 20 goal heavyweight striker - Benteke...look no further and pace....a winger....keep Fazio and Verts for now....see easy.

COYS

8. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Poch isnt so much hinting that we wont buy in january he's making it loud and clear. January is a time for panic buys and quick deals or deals that have been ongoing for some time that have slipped under the radar. I wouldnt mind seeing a few go out, Paulinho is one, even on loan but dont expect too much activity youv'e got more chance sending that player list to santa than sending it to Levy, anyone who thinks we are getting in a new striker in january has been drinking to much eggnog. Yes we need one but no way does Levy move Ade and Soldado this window with Levy's negotiations and the fact that no one, or no team is stupid enuf to pick up Ade, maybe Bobby but not at the fees that Danny will be demanding. Wev'e got this lot till the end of season, ho fecking ho...

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Here's a scenario for all those already backing DL in not buying anyone like he's doing a fantastic job in the best interests for the club- Harry Kane gets injured.
    Will they all be clapping Danny along and his tough negotiating when Soldadud with his 1 goal in 8 months ratio is leading the attack?
    A club that has been stagnating/going backwards past 3 years is not going to progress without some needed exits and upgrades Asap.
    If we don't start in Jan then it's left until summer which means even bigger upheaval that will no doubt be left until the last week of August again writing off next season before its started touting time to settle, patience and yet another "it's a transitional".
    AvB was not deemed good enough and was sacked, Timmy was not deemed good enough and was sacked, Levy has gone out and brought Poch in because he is deemed the coach that this project is to be spearheaded by. If this is the case then where's the plan to get this going because doing nothing but holding onto nobodies proven failures and ignoring the glaring deficiencies in the squad is not going to get us anywhere.

10. big fran Guest

Although there has been a few signs of recent improvement the squad still needs major surgery while the first 11 maybe does not! We are a first choice cb needed a central mid winger and obviously a CF short. Its unrealistic for us to get all four in this window as the priority as stated above would be to raise cash first by getting sales done and some big earners out. If none come in then I also agree that its not a transition but merely an acceptance of what we are by Enic levy and the board and the fans will have to acknowledge the impossible task the current manager and the previous ones have had. The disappointing thing is from where we sit in the table as we speak a good manager and good investment with a good recruiting could easily propel us into the top four. I'm not sure we have any!!

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Selling and Buying aren't always the answer. We shouldn't haste into anything, the squad is starting to gel and we shouldn't bring in too many people.
    I we get away with selling Paulinho, Capoue, or Dembele, maybe 2 of them but not all. Either Ade or Soldado too but we'd still need one of them to stay, i prefer Soldado staying, he partners well with Kane at times.
    With that we would need to bring in a striker, can't settle for any striker though; i believe we should aim for only Bony or Benteke.
    It's tough to find but I believe the biggest thing we are missing is a leader for the team, especially on the defensive end. Could be a stretch but maybe a Vidic from Inter.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button