Pochettino & Levy ready for last-minute wheeling and dealing

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by George S, August 13, 2014.

1. George S

George S New Member

After settling into life in the hot seat at White Hart Lane, new Tottenham Hotspur head coach Mauricio Pochettino is set to wield the axe on several members of the first team squad.

The Argentine recently stated that he wished to take a squad of 25 into the new Premier League season and therefore sales would be required, especially with the former Southampton boss looking to bring in new players as well.

25-man squad is Pochettino’s limit

The Spurs head coach was quoted by Daily Telegraph as saying:

“We have a long, long squad. I think we need to take a decision now to decide how many players to keep, because we have more than 25.

“For me, too many players. My idea is 25. No more than 25. We need to decide now, after our tour in America, and start to work here and decide our squad for the future.”

The latest information from Daily Telegraph, and seemingly the club with various sources reporting similar, is that 11 players would be allowed to leave for the right price.

England internationals and fan favourites up for sale

England international Andros Townsend and Aaron Lennon are both available, although Tottenham wouldn’t allow both to leave and with Queens Park Rangers interested in the former it seems Townsend may be the player to depart White Hart Lane.

Meanwhile Nacer Chadli is one player likely to be offloaded and defenders Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Kyle Naughton are also available for a transfer away from the club.

Busy time coming up again

Michael Dawson has been previously linked with a move away and was close to a switch to Hull City earlier this month, Pochettino would still be willing to let the Tottenham club captain leave.

Finally, if the Spurs head coach is looking to add another central midfielder to our ranks then one of Sandro, Etienne Capoue and Mousa Dembele could exit the club.

With just two weeks to go until the transfer window shuts it looks set to be another busy time at White Hart Lane in regard to transfers and fans should brace themselves for various comings and goings.

2. S-P Guest

It’s just a made up story. Made up by one of the very least reputable InterWebz sources and copied, often without attribution by media outlets like The Telegraph. Trace it to its source and that is what you will find.
    Essentially, they have compiled a list of players who may be some of the options to be sold, though probably not all will be, and lumped in some players they ‘think’ should be sold/think ‘must’ be for sale because they didn't have ‘great’ first seasons.

3. big fran Guest

What a load of nonsense. I've no doubt one or two may leave to balance the books. I'd expect naughton will stay with walker injured. Be amazed and gutted if Townsend went. Lennon more than likely to stay unless a makeweight for Remy. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dawson and chadli move on. Fredericks and Carroll maybe out on loan. Ekotto the only defo exit .

4. gary fox Guest

This is really nonsensical. Up to 11 players could be sold...in other words, it could be 1....it could be 4.....but it wont be 11. It will depend on who we buy and who wants the players that MIGHT be available, at a price that Levy thinks is fair. In other words, its all conjecture. But if 11 leave I will be amazed!

Deggsy56 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We only have about 5 genuinely top players in a massively bloated average/poor/potential squad i would welcome 15 going if it meant we could get 5 proper quality players in, maybe unrealistic but its certainly what this poorly put together unbalanced squad needs big time.

6. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

I think the squad needs a bit of trimming here and there and a few additions in key positions to get the balance right. There could be a few more leaving, maybe a few on loan would make sense, but it wont be anywhere near ten or more players sold.

stevethespur likes this.
  7. notnats

Felon- You describe the squad as massively bloated, average and poor which I dont agree with but thats your opinion but i am wondering who the five players are that you actualy do rate as top players? and what about potential? for me the squad has a number of players with massive potential and also players that may or may not be considered top players but at the very least be considered good players for the club.

8. Brian.S New Member

You can be sure that MP will clear out the dead wood.
    He will bring through either new signings or current youth.
    What ever the case COYS.

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Notnats, what im talking about is consistant end product players that would walk into sides above and around us - hold their own and improve them. Lloris Jan Eriksen Adebyor Sandro are our genuine class but even they have question marks over sustained performances.
    Potential? Townsend Holtby lamela Dier.
    After that we have a number of players that look good on paper and should be good on the pitch but consistantly deliver nothing- Dembele is a prime example of this his skill is undenyable he has pace power n glides past people with ease but in essence does nothing at all with it, every full back we have has a ? Beside their name as do all our CBs, their are not Goals bursting in this side either to prop up a questionable defence 1 player hitting double figures and only just in a whole season is abysmal.
    I may sound negative but im a bit long in the tooth now to keep falling for these false dawns we have gone from considering ourselves as genuine contenders for top 4 to a side that now should be thankfull to get sixth that is not progression.
    Once again we have players thieving wages that we cant shift but need to, we are lacking genuine quality, we again are in profit this window, we have bought at present understudy standard players - we need 1st team end product standard to move forward and to stop falling short.

stevethespur likes this.
  10. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Adebayor - genuine class?? Are you kidding me. The guy was impressive when on loan. Got what he wanted on extortinate wages. Been a bluffer ever since. That penalty he skied over the bar ( I forget which game but lost on pens)??? Genuine class scores all time. I would replace him w/o hesitation. But his wages will always be a problem. He just is not worth it. Class he is NOT !!

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Deggsy- and that is why i said even they have ?s Adebyor has a run of about 9 games then he is more of a hinderence than a help- and this is our 'top scorer'

12. notnats

Cheers Felon, while it does sound a bit negative to me you make some good points, don't get me wrong tho, I don't have any problem at all with an honest opinion. I agree with the players you've stated as being genuine class and also agree that there needs to be more consistency in their performances. Players with the potential to be top class or at the very least very good players, well personally id add quite a few more names on that list.
    If Poch is the right man for Spurs then I expect a massive improvement on the pitch and from most of the squad this year. However I don't think we are ready to challenge for top four yet, not this year. Its not about false dawns this year its about hard work and improvement and giving the new manager a chance.

13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Trust me Notnats i only tell it as i see it, and believe me i want success for this club more than most.
    I want Soldado to bang in 20 goals, i want Lamela and others to deliver their full potential etc. I crave Titles!!!
    Its just i dont see a number of these things happening due to persistant flaws in the squad and how the club is ran.
    I ask you this if Poch doesnt make top 4 or win a trophy in the next 2 seasons will he still have a job with us? The shoe string budget and transfer policies (buying soley for potential sell on) is flawed and paired with publically unrealistic targets all will end the same as ever.
    For success you have to spend- and before we have the 'were not city, look at Leeds' brigade we are the 13th richest club in europe that make profit every year, im not talking about 100 mill but 20- 30 mil investment is realistic and sustainable if we stop supplementing 10+ poor/average players wages etc

14. notnats

For me the problem with Ade is that he just doesn't have a full season in him. When he's on song he's class, he works his socks off for the team and scores goals. When he runs out of legs he will look tired and disinterested. Going back to comments about lacking genuine class I think the club made a big mistake by not bringing in a quality striker this year.

15. notnats

Poch has come out and said that the squad needs trimming down and it will happen, but not right now, maybe a few now, maybe a few in jan and then again at the end of season, there's obviously a few players that don't want to be moved on and are digging in their heels to stay so yes there are definitely some flaws in the transfer policies at the club, we do pay some average players above average wages, there's no point saying that we don't. Personally I don't understand giving a player like Rose a five year contract. Even when these players are moved on thers no guarantee that they will be replaced with proven quality, lets face it Poch wasn't brought in because he can attract top players to the club, he was brought in because he has a reputation for developing and getting the best out of certain players so don't expect the policy of buying players with potential, and yes potential sell on value to stop ( im not buying into buying solely for potential sell on). If Poch is the right man for Spurs then I think we could be contenders for top four or pick up a trophy in the near future although I still think Poch needs at least two years. Will Poch keep his job if he doesn't achieve those expectations, well we all know the answer to that.

16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

And this is exactly it Notnats the glaring issues within the club that season after season are never rectified.
    We have not solved a number of issues from last season- we only 'Hope' that players will come good but you wouldnt put your savings on it because you know its only hope.
    Were wandering into yet another season without a Solid Cb partnership, dodgey fbs, an over crowded midfield, an array of attacking talent that only 1 player managed double figures.
    And what are we doing about it?

17. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Anyone that thinks Levy will be holding some sort of Jumble Sale at WHL this summer, obviously has forgotten who they are dealing with.

Making players available is one thing. Matching Levy's valuation is quite another, and there is no question that if players such as Dembele, Townsend and have been touted around different clubs, The Chairman WILL be wanting top dollar!

I said at the beginning of the transfer window that Spurs would make at LEAST 3/4 signings and so it has proved. I also said that I could see around 5/6 players leaving, and with Sigurdsson, Livermore, Gomes and Falque already moving on, I don't envisage more than another 2/3 more players being sold.

I think you can more or less rule out the English lads, bar Dawson, for this one, considering most of them Lennon, Townsend and Kane qualify as home-grown players which will be important for the EL, as well as the EPL.

I think the players MOST at risk, as things stand, will be BAE (wherever he is), Dawson, Chiriches, Paulinho, Sandro and Chadli.

notnats likes this.
  18. notnats

Last season was one to forget, but im not going to start this season by comparing it to the woes of last season before a ball has even been kicked. I would have loved to see a quality CB and a quality striker brought in but realistically I have to accept it when the manager says that we have to get rid of a few first before we bring in the quality. Maybe Poch coming out and saying this is an indication of a new direction in our transfer policies. As fans we all get frustrated with the things that we have no control over and so we have to hope for improvements and a better year, however I wouldn't say nothing has changed, we have a new ambitious and energetic manager who brings a new style and philosophy as well as a tough work ethic in his training. Thers no doubt that Poch and the whole squad have a massive job and some hard work ahead of them and so far in the pre season there have been some good signs that the squad is connecting with the new manager which means that overall contributions will be better this year. Im not saying that we shouldn't voice our opinions or make criticisms when performances are lacking or when we see fit, but its the new season so cheer the **** up.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Notnats- every transfer window we are all saying the same thing a quality CB and Striker and guess what? It never happens.
    The squad should never have been allowed to become so congested that we are stuck with a number of poor/average players taking up space/wages that we cant get in genuinely needed quality.
    Thats my gripe with it and until there is a major rethink about our policies we will forever remain in this land of limbo, being- hire new manager- inherit bloated squad, need players but cant sell or buy, talk about top 4 and trophies, dont/cant strengthen in Jan, fall away, exit cups, pressure on manager, best players looking for moves, and before you know it Poch is out of job and it all starts again.
    Its cloaks and daggers from the board whos obvious faillings are detrimental to the club on now a persistant basis that is taking us backwards.
    Anyway Lets hope we do the scummy irons and have a great season where players reach their full potential the team click and we romp the league and europe, Poch cant do worse than AVB and Sherwood- can he?

notnats likes this.
  20. notnats

AVB was wrong for Spurs and Sherwood was just wrong. No, Poch cant be any worse. He wasnt my first choice as manager but so far ive been impressed with what ive seen. Its a bit early to say too much but i still think he needs to be given time, taking on a job like Spurs is a massive challenge, he seems to have a good style and a good philosophy, lets hope he's up for it.

Deggsy56 and Felon82 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button