PLAYER RATINGS: West Ham 0-1 Tottenham

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, August 16, 2014.

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Eric Dier marked his Spurs debut with an incredible 93rd minute winner as Spurs fought for over an hour with 10 men to take all 3 points from Upton Park.

Dier ‘nother day
    Kyle Naughton saw red for a harsh goal-line handball just before the half hour mark, but justice was served as Mark Noble dragged his weak penalty of the Spurs post.

Both sides traded blows evenly but Spurs’ makeshift defence kept the Hammers largely at bay, forcing shots from range and but looking shaky from set-pieces. And referee Chris Foy evened it up 2 minutes past the hour as Emmanuel Adebayor was blocked by the already-booked James Collins to send the Welshman for an early bath.

With the game seemingly burning towards an inevitable goalless end, substitute Harry Kane picked the ball up in front of the back 4 and threaded a neat pass through to the unlikely figure of 20-year-old debutant Eric Dier, moved to right-back from centre half to accommodate Naughton’s red.

And the £4million man did not disappoint, rounding Adrian to slot home left-footed and send the frustrated travelling fans jubilant.

Ratings
    Hugo Lloris - 8 – A clean sheet for the Frenchman, and one that he arguably earned in one moment. Some weak tackling from Etienne Capoue allowed Kevin Nolan’s backheel to find Stewart Downing 6 yards out, only for our newly branded number 1 to smother the winger with the scores level. Impressive destitution too from Hugo.

Kyle Naughton - 3 – Could be considered harsh to have been found guilty of “deliberate” handball after just a third of the game, but arguably gave the referee no choice when flailing his arms above his head. His ban will surely be appealed.

Younes Kaboul - 4 – Very disappointing afternoon for our skipper. In my opinion our worst player on the pitch, being caught on the ball often and uncharacteristically outmuscled numerous times. However, led the side to an unlikely late win so deserves SOME credit.

Eric Dier - 8 – Although his rating might have been lower had the game ended in the 92nd minute, I really couldn’t care less. If the boy was in front of me right now I’d kiss him, thanks to his cool-headed match winner. Away from the heroics, he performed maturely in what really must be the deep-end for the youngster. Bright future.

Danny Rose - 7 – The £10million signing of Ben Davies might just have given Rose the kick up the backside he needed, and it would be fair to say he wouldn’t have been the scapegoat he was last season if he had performed like he did today. Although understandably not the best in the air, Rose defended better than he attacked – a rare sight.

Etienne Capoue - 6 – Did well to shuffle into centre-back for the majority of the game, but was guilty of pulling out of a few tackles from my point of view. On too many occasions I was found shouting “PUT A TACKLE IN THEN!” at the screen. Needs to step up as the team’s “hardman”.

Nabil Bentaleb - 6 – Ran the centre of midfield for an impressive stint but didn’t really bring any spark to the game. True, it isn’t his job to pull the strings but he did seem a bit jobless at times. Could be likened to Michael Carrick today, preferring the sideways passes. Although, that might be what the team needs.

Christian Eriksen - 6 – A rare quiet game from Christian, who wasn’t able to muster any kind of goal threat even when he was presented with a picture-perfect free-kick opportunity he would usually take. We expect a lot of our new talisman and so a few more Hollywood passes might pay off.

Erik Lamela - 6 – We only saw a shadow of the player we saw in pre-season today at Upton Park – although much more positive than anything we saw last season. There are so many people willing Erik to succeed in England but West Ham might not be his kind of game, often rebuffed by the physicality of their style.

Aaron Lennon - 5 – Just like Lamela, we all had high hopes for Lennon thanks to a brilliant pre-season showing. The sighs that used to come with Lennon’s name on the team sheet were quietened in anticipation today due to his off-season showing, but his early substitution showed that he was largely unmissed on the field.

Emmanuel Adebayor - 6 – Held the ball up as our midfield trio probed for an opening, but didn’t display the sharpness required to find a clear chance on goal. Often with his back to goal, the Togo striker will relish the times where Spurs have the opportunity to lift the ball off the ground and look for the big man’s head without the danger of it being lifted from his shoulders like at Upton Park…

Subs
    Lewis Holtby - 6
    – Certainly freshened things up with his introduction, replacing Erik Lamela in the midfield trio, but also failed to find any openings in the tight West Ham backline. But definitely the energetic kind of player we can utilise.

Andros Townsend - 7 – Perfect introduction to the season for Townsend as he took it upon himself to test the West Ham ‘keeper from range unlike any other player. Ran brilliantly as an option or a decoy at tired opposition legs.

Harry Kane - N/a – Superbly weighted assist for Dier’s winner.

A wonderful introduction to Tottenham’s 2014/15 Premier League season, and despite a shaky showing in places, there is no better feeling than winning a London Derby in the 3rd minute of added time.

We can celebrate the victory and the emergence of a defender who plays beyond his years, and although it is important not to hype the youngster up too much, we can begin getting excited about a great prospect.

That is, of course, before Real Madrid come knocking.

COYS!

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

The sending off was harsh but his hands were high. Great that Dier got the winner but what concerned me was that we seemed to play as we started last season and those of you who think Kaboul is world class.....get a grip. He is not a captain in any way, shape or form and when he played last season he was awful and today he was awful again.
    Dier wasn't great but got the goal. Capoue passed to more spam players than ours and overall the performance looked very similar to last season.
    The three points are welcome, and we will get better but tactically, I am disappointed with pochettino today. Same set up, most of the same players and surprised we looked very unfit before the red card.
    I am happy with the points but what I saw today suggests that top six is where we will be.

3. Chris Guest

I'm still unconvinced Lamela is going to make it in this league, or any other with physicality. He was invisible in both this game and the game vs Schalke, and only really shined in weaker opposition. Would play him in Europa constantly as the defenders will be weaker, but not many Prem clubs will give him the time h wants

4. SpursFan Guest

Overall chuffed with the win, despite an OK performance overall.

Holtby should have started over Bentaleb. Holtby scored and assisted in the pre-season, and he deserves much better.

Kaboul looked poor, but did well overall by heading away dangerous balls.

Dier - MOTM. Scores like a striker, and can play CB and RB... Enough said.

Rose - looked sharp and solid - some edgy bits but overall solid.

Naughton - Disastrous as usual. Back to his old self. Played unimpressive in pre-season against weaker teams, and flops against harder teams. The only player I do not want to start for Spurs. Not many team he'd walk into in the PL.

Adebayor - enigma player. Does well some parts and disappears most game.

Bentaleb played well.

Capoue - I was really impressed with him, made a lot of crucial interceptions prior to the red card, and played well at CB.

Eriksen/Lamela - average performance, but was not poor.

Holtby, Kane and Townsend effectively changed Spurs game and that's when Spurs looked more of a threat, and lead to the winning goal by Dier.

Lloris - had a quiet game, did not need to make any serious saves. Solid.

Lennon - decent.

Personally, I think Lennon-Soldado-Lamela is better for Spurs offensive play than Adebayor. Lamela seems to shine when playing with Soldado, they have a great connection with each other, and Lennon responds well with them two too!

MoPo - starting line up was not great, but his substitutions won the game. Overall, managed well. Considering it's his first game and had to make drastic decisions due to the red card.

5. eli Guest

these rating are biased dier was a 6 apart from the goal he did nothing capoue played better than dier at cb rose has not improved he is still poor

6. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Great win today, considering the team played with 9 men for most of the match.

Adebayor was shocking when he did NOT have the ball at his feet, today, offering little or no opposition to the West Ham's defence desire, to simply waltz into the Spurs midfield, and pick a pass.

It was a really disappointing trait in the Togolese striker's performance this afternoon, and as a result had a major impact on the teams ability to press high up the field. It was a shame for Ade, because his link up play was generally quite good. Yet, on a day, when when Spurs NEEDED the big man to fight, and lead, from the front, Adebayor was nowhere to be seen. Must improve!

It wasn't a particularly impressive display from the team today, by any means, but the referees ludicrous decision to red card Naughton made it extremely difficult for Spurs to grow into the game.

I think the fact that Pochettino chose to play Capoue in defence ahead of replacing Bentaleb with Dawson, and keeping the Frenchman in midfield, is maybe the clearest sign that Michael is not part of the Argentinians plans.

The introduction of Holtby and Townsend proved astute, and those two, as well as Kane, will be the biggest beneficiaries of some ineffective individual displays from those in white.

Listen, the first game of the season is, always, one of the MOST difficult, especially when you are trying to bed in, and implement, the ideas of a new manager... Just look at what happened to our dear, old friend Louis, if you don't believe The Ram.;)

So make no mistake about it, this win, at Upton Park, against what will be a VERY competitive/good West Ham side, is a HUGE boost, and will no doubt do wonders for the team confidence, belief and sharpness.

The EL game midweek will give Poch the opportunity to integrate the players who have yet to play (i.e. Chadl, Paulinho, Dembele, Vertonghen, Walker and perhaps Chiriches), and further attempt to impose his philosophy onto the team.

At the moment the team doesn't appear fully committed to the idea of the high-pressing game, with some individuals failing to pull their weight. Rest assure that Pochettino will be identifying who it is that is failing to grasp his concepts, and with the transfer windows closure fast approaching, their might be a few surprise transactions in and out of the club before Sept 1, if there isn't a noticeable improvement in some attitudes/displays.

Excellent 3 points to start the campaign. Bring on Thursday!

Last edited: August 16, 2014
    notnats and Felon82 like this.
  7. Evan Guest

Danny Rose was ran ragged by Stewart Downing for the first 45mins. I'd say 90% of West Ham's pressure came down our left hand side. Whether Rose was left exposed by Lennon is another thing altogether but to rate him an 7 is crazy. 5/6 at best.

8. Chris #2 Guest

The ratings seem right to me, except Rose getting a 7 (6) Naughton getting a 3 (5) and Bentaleb getting 6 (5, poor passing). The Dier rating is perhaps a bit high as well.

I was shocked when Naughton was red-carded - penalty ofc, but hardly a deliberate choice by Naughton :/

9. stevethespur Active Member

Great for Dier to get the winner on debut. Poch starts with a victory and as Napolean said "give me a lucky general" ! We move on from this win, there is lots of work to do on the team but if we can win games whilst Poch makes his stamp on the side, all the better. Fantastic to beat the 'ammers. Coys.

notnats likes this.
  10. Mattj78

Some individuals failing to pull their weight.
    Who commented on that last season and got ripped to bits for it?
    I would think Mr. Sherwood may have a slight smirk on his face tonight!
    We won and that's the most important thing but I think we will see Pochettino's style against QPR. Either that or Harry and Hoddle will simply laugh at our chairman on their way out!!!

Joking aside, today we won, looked like last season was still in the system, Rose was poor, kaboul was very poor and Lamela looked undernourished.
    However, .......... we won.
    I predict top six and on today's showing, I think that will be about right.

11. Mattj78

Okay, just watched the game again. Bentaleb played well and Dier will be a great signing.
    Rose was poor.
    Kaboul was embarassing at times and his injuries are showing.
    Eriksen was not great but he will be fine.
    Lamely looked lost again and he lost the ball far too easily.
    Adebayor is someone I will never work out. He is like the wife really. Offers plenty but only delivers when he can be arsed.
    Capoue worked very hard and could be a great player. He won't excite but he will be solid.
    Townsend and Kane both looked hungry when they came on and are players I don't want to see leave.

Three times I have seen the game and I still come to the same conclusion. This team needs more goals and will be a top six team.
    Top six and a trophy would be great but there are too many players who are not fit to where the shirt.

Bring on Thursday and then Arry and God.

Be realistic Spurs fans, we are not a top four team.....yet.

Spurporter likes this.
  12. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

The 3 points are well welcomed but we're still a long ways back from becoming a top 4 side. Dier and Lloris are the only players on the pitch today who performed.

Lloris(8), Naughton(4), Dier(8), Kaboul(4), Rose(5), Capoue(6), Bentaleb(6), Lennon (5), Erikson(5), Lamela(4), Ade(6)

Townsend(6), Holtby(6), Kane(N/A).

Rose was abused on the left, Downing had any and every sort of cross that he wanted.
    Bentaleb and Capoue were mediocre but mostly due to the fact that Capoue played out of position when Naughton was sent off.
    Kaboul was a big disappointment, figured when healthy he can be dominant with his statue and physicality.
    Liked the energy that Townsend and Holtby brought on the pitched when substituted in, also Kane's perfect through pass for Dier.
    Hopefully Vertonghen will be back for the next game to establish the presence we need in the back, I'd also like to see what Ben Davies can do.

Last edited: August 17, 2014
  13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

3 points, 1st game, away to the scummy Hammers, Dier class finish, on debut, winner at the death.
    Dont care about the rest at the moment we done what was needed and got the result!!!!
    COYS!

notnats and Ramos43 like this.
  14. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

As far as I'm aware, no one has set the world alight on this opening day. And there were plenty of opportunities to do so, you would of thought, with many of our rivals playing teams of lesser quality/ability than West Ham.

Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd all struggled to pick up victory's/points, so the fact that Spurs managed to grab all 3, in the first DERBY of the season, whilst playing with a man less than their opponents for 30+mins is of great credit to the team.

Anyone who thought that Pochettino was simply going to waltz into Spurs with a magic wand, and have the team playing exactly how he wants from the offset is either foolish or naive... or perhaps, even, both.

I concluded, after a fairly easy/difficult (in some ways) pre-season programme that the teams first REAL examination would come at Upton Park, and so it proved, with the team ultimately passing that test, be it, by hook or by crook!

You can play all the friendlies in the world, and yet it is only once the referee blows his whistle to signal the start of an EPL match that a manager REALLY gets to know his players.

If the team wants to be as successful as I know they can be, then they will have to learn to win whilst not being at their best and that's what they did. It's as simple as that!

Spurs have options, and PLENTY of quality ones at that, still to be considered for roles within the squad. That was NOT the 1st team, and that fact alone, along with the result, should be reason for great optimism heading into the game against QPR.

Not many teams will go to West Ham and pick up 3 points, this season, so for Spurs to do that is a huge bonus as the club seeks to upset the odds and finish in the top 4.

Performances, and any deep analysis of them, can wait for me. The MOST important thing on the opening day of the season is to get off to a good start, and pick up some points.

So as you can probably tell, I'm delighted to start the season with a hard-fought AWAY win!

notnats likes this.
  15. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Special mention MUST go to Lloris. In a summer where Spurs have kept their powder dry in terms of big outlays on transfers, so far, the best piece of business perhaps Spurs were ever going to do is securing the services of the Frenchman.

Without a doubt one of the best goalkeepers in the world, Lloris produced two moments of magic to help secure the team the 3 points,today.

The first a double save, diving down low to stop a shot from range, and then rushing out to swat the ball away from the feet of an on-rushing player.

And then the 2nd, when West Ham carved open a makeshift Spurs backline, to perform a stunning (and ultimately match-winning) block from a shot by Stewart Downing.

Untested for the majority of the game, it's the capacity to produce decisive saves like these, at big moments) that separates the cream from the rest of the crop!

Great display from the Spurs no1.

Mattj78 and Remy Uwilin like this.
  16. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

A well earned and hard fought victory for the lads, individually there were a few average performances but as a team they really held their nerve after Chris Foy who doesn't seem to like us very much made a huge mistake in sending off Naughton, there's no way the handball could be seen as deliberate, justice was done with the resulting miss. Even down to ten men I thought we held them and played reasonably well considering it was the first game of the season and that weve come off a pre season that really only amounted to a few training runs, the hardest thing to endure during the game was Tony Gales commentary and that we nicked it. Yes they looked the more dangerous at times and they created more chances, but really what did they do with them? the closest they got after the penalty miss which they didn't deserve in the first place was in the 72minute when Hugo saved superbly from Downing. The winner was the icing on the cake, what a goal, what a run into the box so late in the game, what a signing.

Ramos43 likes this.
  17. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

3 points is 3 points, in a derby game that's all that matters. We're far from seeing our best lineup yet. Once we're all healthy and have had a couple games on our belt, we should be fine. This season is wide open, just as last year was.

COYS

Ramos43 likes this.
  18. notnats

Some interesting ratings, Hugo was very good and should be our captain, at least he will play every game, Naughton a 3 ? wasn't that bad while out there, unlucky. Kaboul was poor, ok in the air but other than that really poor. Rose, well some will say he was also poor but he never gave up and fought hard, Downing was very good today. Capoue was also very good some good early interseptions, played the ball out of defence well, and had to drop back to CB which isn't his position. Lamela, disappointing first game of season, gave the ball away too often, will get better and Erik Dier, to hold his own as CB, as FB, and then score a CFs goal in extra time, this kid looks to be already on the rise, well done. Also interesting to see Kane come on ahead of Soldado but again he didn't disappoint and played a clever ball through for Dier, proving to be a useful player.

Ramos43 likes this.
  19. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I predicted 0:0, was glad to be wrong, but ended not far off. We looked at Sherwood's Spurs, obviously. Poch is young, yet experienced enough to know that evolution is the way to success, whilst revolutions lead to failures. His stile will be installed, but for very important first match he started last year XI except for Dawson, who will be sold soon, substituted with Dier. And we witnessed another great win that must have made Tim proud... Similarly we observed many properties in this team that made last season so hard to take at times by an average supporter. All should agree this is NOT the way.
    I would give 6 to all, except Lloris who saved us from loss and would also give 7 to Dier for that side kick from his left.

20. notnats

Off topic but nice to see Siggy get the winner at OT, he also made a nice mention about his time at Spurs after tbe game. Class.

Remy Uwilin and Mattj78 like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button