PLAYER RATINGS: Spurs 3-0 AEL Limassol

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, August 28, 2014.

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Spurs cruised into the group stages of the Europa League for the fourth successive season as Cyprus’ Limassol were defeated with no expense spared.

The game got off to a flyer with Kyle Naughton being felled by AEL ‘keeper Karim Fegrouche, who was replaced by Andrés Romero after being injured in the collision. Youngster Harry Kane stepped up but his spot kick was tamely saved by the feet of the substitute.

But the England U21 man picked himself off and spared his blushes just a minute before half time when Paulinho latched onto a defensive error to send Kane through one-on-one, a chance which he duly dispatched.

It took just 4minutes after the break for the Brazilian to grab his own goal, dropping the shoulder and firing across goal after Vlad Chiriches’ sliding tackle.

Further pressure paid off midway through the second half as a handball in the opposition box allowed Andros Townsend to slot home his first goal of the season from the spot.

Player Ratings

Hugo Lloris - 7 – Just like against QPR at the weekend the Frenchman had very little to do between the Spurs sticks. Was off his line quickly on one occasion and deal with two or three crosses but never threatened.

Kyle Naughton - 7 – Certainly progressed hugely as a Spurs player in the past year, operating in a mature manor at right-back. Did well to earn Harry Kane a penalty in the first half, and backed up Andros Townsend well down the right flank.

Younes Kaboul - 7 – Lead the side well from centre-half, snapping at the AEL striker’s heels and not allowing them to turn towards goal. A good chance to stretch his legs before the challenge of Liverpool at the weekend.

Vlad Chiriches - 7 – There’s no way Vlad will be leaving Spurs this summer if Pochettino has any sense. He’s the exact sort of centre-half Poch loves, a ball-playing, creative, progressive stopper at the back. Also provided a handy assist for Paulinho’s goal.

Ben Davies - 7 – The competition at left-back is hotting up! Danny Rose has made the headlines with his England call up but Davies had a solid showing tonight too. Came so close to opening his Spurs account late on with a dipping left foot strike and looked at home behind Aaron Lennon.

Mousa Dembele - 6 – A mediocre game from the Belgian, but failed to provide the deep-lying creativity he was put next to Sandro to provide. Never really spotted a through ball from just past the halfway line and persists on going alone too often, but nevertheless stood his defensive duties firmly.

Sandro - 6 – Isnt going to topple Etienne Capoue if he doesn’t do his homework on reading the game better. Physically Sandro is unrivalled but it is Capoue’s ability to spot the danger and extinguish the threat that sets him above the Brazilian. Again, nevertheless he quelled all attacking threats but without the effortlessness of Etienne.

Aaron Lennon - 7 – More of the Lennon from pre-season, cutting inside to cause all kinds of problems for AEL. He didn’t show up on his big break at West Ham but looked much better here, and deserved a goal. His delightful chip over the AEL ‘keeper showed his ability to think on his feet.

Paulinho - 7 – Speaking from my point of view, it seemed to me that prior to this game the overall patience with Paulinho was running low. He had a nightmare in Cyprus last week and didn’t get a look in against QPR because of it, but tonight be showed glimpses of what he can do. Somewhat “freed” into a more advanced role than under AVB, Paul grabbed a goal and almost scored the goal of the season with an overhead kick.

Andros Townsend - 7 –A frustrating but overall successful night for the England man. Buoyed by his call up, Townsend dispatched his penalty well and did deserve the goal for his game-long efforts. Could be called one-dimensional, a one-trick pony, but he is persistent and definitely the sort of player you’d rather have on your side rather than theirs.

Harry Kane - 8 – The HurriKane! Clearly playing with boundless confidence after his breakthrough into the Spurs setup, Kane looked like one of the first teamers among them tonight along with Hugo, Younes, Vlad and Andros. The finish for his goal was as cool as you like, especially after his penalty miss knocked him. Plus, his nutmeg in the box in the dying minutes of the game had me on my feet.

Subs

Lewis Holtby - n/a – Although he didn’t really contribute when he got on, you can really see why Spurs fans want Holtby to stay so badly. He’ll pick the ball up at centre-half and play 3 or 4 one-two’s until he’s in the opposition penalty box!

Milos Veljkovic - n/a – Unbothered a centre-half but another appearance under his belt.

Overall, the affair was not as shaky as last week’s meeting between the sides and Spurs’ class shone through as they progressed without hassle.

The real test will be this weekend against Liverpool, and tonight might have been the last time we saw some of the lads playing in the famous Lilywhite at the Lane.

COYS

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I thought Sandro was brilliant. I thought he read the game well and his challenges were top drawer. He showed desire and covered the pitch very well. He looked fit and hungry. I thought he deserved a 7 at the very least.
    Dembele was also great. He was strong, linked okay well and held off opposition players with ease.
    Townsend was trying too hard in the first half, but was much better in the second.
    Chiriches, I agree was solid and comfortable on the ball, and it would be daft to sell him.
    I don't think, after tonight, we will see any of tonight's starting players leave in this window. Holtby will possibly go, but other than him, and he of course was a sub, I think we have just seen, in the last two games, the twenty odd players that MP wants as his squad.
    I may be biased as a spurs fan, but If I were a Man UTD fan right now, I would give my right arm for Spurs squad.

Players are fighting for places, the manager is set on his system and I am getting excited as each game passes.
    If we beat Liverpool on Sunday, my excitement and belief is going to soar........

James McC likes this.
  3. Chris Guest

Really? 8 for a player who missed a penalty?? For me Lennon naughton and Sandro all had great games. Sandro was a little sloppy but should start at the weekend over Bentaleb. Davies wast great either, his positioning at times was all very the place, but ou can't really see that on telly, only at the ground

James McC likes this.
  4. Baz Guest

Kane missed a penalty,missed several very good chances and lost the ball on a number of occasions.You must have been watching a different game to me.An 8?
    If this was Soldado you would have crucified him.

Deggsy56 likes this.
  5. Jim Guest

Baz, you must have been watching a different game. I saw a young striker shrug off a penalty which could easily have gone in on another day, show some great touches, make himself available, fashion chances himself and calmly slot away his goal. Paulinho on the other hand, in the first half, his touch was abysmal, didn't support Kane well at all (until the goal) and gave the ball away. Was better second half but don't see him getting into the league starting line up. I see no reason to change it on Sunday. Although, I don't see what Bentaleb brings that Holtby doesn't.

Mattj78 and James McC like this.
  6. DanDy Guest

Those slating Kane for an 8 are missing the point. Yes he missed a pen but his overall game was excellent. Held the ball up well, hassled and parried and caused the defence problems. Was unlucky not to score another. He will be a great player for us.

7 for Townsend on the other hand is laughable. He was awful all night. Squandered possession every time he got the ball, ran into players or the corner off the pitch killing attacks, didn't pass when he should have and generally cr@p. He scored a pen, that was about it. Needs to get his act together or Poch will sell him in Jan.

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Sid Guest

Fan for 35 years and if you believe me or not the next few years are going to be spurs time.Gordon Strachan said that we had one of the top managers in the world. Ive tried to drum into my spurs pals how good this guy is and don't be surprised what he can do with this squad of players.Southampton players were average but the spurs are good if not lamela and world class +++++ a few others who can be and a world class keeper ten to 15 points a season or 20 compared to some of our last lot of keepers. Coys the start of good times to be a spurs fan as Sunday will show.

Mattj78 likes this.
  8. Mattj78

Although Sandro was good, based on tonight and the first two games of the season, Bentaleb still deserves to start. I don't see the starting eleven on Sunday being any different from against QPR. The reason Kane is not getting as much stick is that his work rate was excellent and Soldado has not shown that enough yet. Soldado didn't just miss chances last season, he failed to move into the positions, and Kane did that tonight. 8 is perhaps a little kind, but bear in mind he is a young kid and for me, I think he is a very exciting prospect.

9. Big kris Guest

Kane 8

Your having a laugh championship player at best

No pace. No. Skill no quality

Never prem player

10. Mattj78

Kane showed strength on the ball and dictated a lot of what we did tonight. He spun off his man on at least three occasions and, although his finishing wasn't always great, he got in scoring positions and fully deserved his goal.
    MP wanted Kane at Southampton and can see that he has a great future. His finish for the goal was calm and cool. The penalty miss didn't affect him and he kept a cool head.
    He is not the finished article by any means, but he is a talent and that is why he had been given a new contract.
    This squad has depth and quality and as Strachan said tonight, we have one of the best young managers in Europe.

11. Lbanu New Member

Tottenham would be out of their minds to let Sandro leave! It's good to see Dembele and Ciriches back too.

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. Mattj78

Chiriches in particular had a good game. Considering injuries and playing time, he looked comfortable on the ball and I think he will stay.

13. stevethespur Active Member

Thought the team played well tonight, and showed the depth of our squad. Poor opposition but we've played similar before in the europa and looked disjointed. Enjoyed our movement and passing, and some great closing down. Kane missed a few but he's still learning and i think he's grown alot over the past year. The ball appears to stick to him at times and thats a good knack to have. Big test on sunday but we should go into the game without fear and looking to make a real statement of intent. Coys

14. Ben Guest

I personally thought Townsend was poor, he always seemed to be facing the wrong way when he received the ball. He needs to be getting the ball whilst moving or at least be ready to turn and go past defenders, he just ended up getting the ball and passing it back the way it came all night. He shows glimpses of quality and I know he's not 100% fit but he really needs to improve. Paulinho was poor in the first half, he just kept giving the ball away or making the wrong pass. Once he set up the first goal he improved a lot though, was fairly good in the second half and took his goal well. I guess you can't complain too much if a player assists and scores in a game, but he just looks like he could do so much more.
    I thought Lennon had a great game as usual, he's always badgering away creating chances. Still don't get why he's never in the England squad, I don't think there's a more creative English player, especially now Gerrard and Lampard have retired.
    Pleased with Harry Kane's progress too, he reminds me a lot of Crouch. I don't think he's good enough to ever be first choice in the spurs squad though and can see him being sold on if we can bring in a real top quality striker.

Our defense has looked really solid so far this season, whoever is playing, lets hope it continues when we face a real test against Liverpool!

One thing I was really pleased with was that we never looked under pressure or shaky and it was a very convincing win. Not what we usually get in the Europa league. Spurs look like a team under Pochettino rather than just 11 players.

15. Kwame Guest

I think Holtby is a great player and i would luv to see him beside Capoue on sunday ahead of Bentaleb.

I still think Paulinho gives too many balls away and is not dedicated enough enough.

I never believed Chiriches would be sold since he was our best CB last season.

We should sell Kaboul and Paulinho.

16. Lbanu New Member

It must be understood that I don't envisage Sandro getting injured. He's not called 'The beast' for nothing? He's a strong fit man. When he is very fit he's an enormous asset to any team because he is capable of being one of the best defensive midfielders Tottenham have had in many years. He has all the assets required to become a regular under Pochittino. Sandro needs to become more disciplined and to play his assigned role for the team. It would help to have the best suitable partner in a 4-2-3-1
    in a run of games. Three and four players would be vying to be played in those two spots. Pochittino can decide about that but Sandro is best as a box to box and I reckon that Capoue alongside him would be better than Bentaleb. I don't envisage Pochittino dropping either Capoue or Bentaleb and feel Bentaleb is also a good option alongside Capoue. They complement each other well. Sandro would be better alongside Capoue than alongside Bentaleb because he'd be wasted in a pure defensive role. As I said, he is best allowed box to box with emphasis in defensive duties when Capoue should play as the anchor ahead of the back four. Bentaleb doesn't have the required strength to be as effective in that position in my opinion. A fit Sandro certainly has! I feel it could really spark a new exciting dimension to Tottenham's attackers were he played in that role.

I like both Bentaleb and Dembele as players but have my own concerns about Dembele staying fit throughout the season? I'm saying that though Sandro may not look it and perhaps has rarely shown it but that he is a really good footballer on the ball and present big problems to the opposing defense. If Pochittino can use him in a disciplined yet more free role to break out from defense and work on improving Sandro's weaknesses and encouraging his development as a box to box figure in his team setups everything suggests to me that Sandro can impress and assist the teams he plays for in a very big and important manner. So, I hope he stays, gets very fit and fights for his place. If he does Pochittino has one heck of a player on his hands.

17. Dom New Member

I thought the team played very well tonight overall. Townsend for me however was at best average and very one dimensional, losing the ball several times and couldn't beat their left back for pace either. Our defense looked solid and able to play the ball out nicely without having to play long balls up field and it was great to see every player chasing and making sure when we lost possession the ball was one back quickly.

It is early days but if we can keep this up it could be a good season. Hope I haven't put the kiss of death on that though!

18. Lewis Guest

9 changes from the QPR game and still looked like a 'team'. Very decent display I thought. Sandro was back to his old self. Kane played well but fans used to slate JD for scoring once out of five chances so for me he's not clinical enough... Yet. Townsend was poor. Too much running into people, choosing the wrong ball and looking like he was trying too hard to impress. Paulinho shouldn't start against Pool. He took his goal well tonight but u just expect more from him and he doesn't deliver. Chiriches to start against Pool after a decent performance tonight? Hmm I'm unsure. Vertonghen probably would be my choice. Davies played solidly tonight but Rose must start against Pool due to his pace. Sunday is our barometer to see just how good we really are. COYS

19. Scorpio New Member

Kane has improved a lot in the last 12 mths. His hold up play and ability to bring others into the game is good. His finishing needs a lot more work. As for Townsend, I wish he would play with a bit more thought. He seems to play from the heart and makes too many poor decisions. He keeps shooting from low percentage scoring positions. Paulinho was poor in the 1st half and did not seem match fit. I can't see him working hard enough to stay in the ist team. Chirches did very well for his 1st game back. Looks like good competition for places in defence. Most pleasing is to see the players have bought into the managers playing style and everyone knows their role. I would not be surprised if we exceed our record points total in the league this season.

20. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Didnt get the game here and havnt seen highlights yet but judging by the ratings and comments there were some good performances and most importantly a good team effort. Relieved to see that Sandro had a decent game, I dont think that he will budge Capoue or Benteleb from the first team but should feature in a lot of games. Kane also had a good game again, its funny how people are so quick to write this kid off, but he just keeps on scoring and playing well, im also impressed with his football brain and maturity,some of the assists he's come up with lately have been class, he may or may not ever be world class but is on his way to being a very good english striker.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button