Owen, Lloris and Murphy on Liverpool v Tottenham

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, February 10, 2015.

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

Following Tottenham’s excellent 2-1 win over North London rivals Arsenal on Saturday, the side’s top-four credentials will be put to the test once more as we travel to Anfield to face Liverpool tonight.

The Reds have been much better than us in recent meetings between the teams, beating Spurs in the last four clashes between the teams.

The last three meetings have seen us ship 12 goals to the Merseysiders without scoring once in reply, while a 3-2 defeat at Anfield in March 2013 was a very damaging result in our search for Champions League football the season before last.

Hugo Lloris has stated that despite Brendan Rodgers’ men beating us 3-0 at White Hart Lane earlier in the campaign, Spurs would start tonight’s clash full of confidence.

"Liverpool here [White Hart Lane] were very good. You're going to see a different Spurs team I think we are improving and we are in a good dynamic," The London Evening Standard quote the Frenchman as saying.

"The win [against Arsenal] was great for confidence and we need to keep playing in that way.

"We need to keep the same mentality we try to put the same intensity into games. I know it's not easy as the games come quickly but it shows the same desire and I think we have a good team spirit and talented players to be decisive.”

Former Liverpool striker Michael Owen was quizzed on the potential outcome of tonight’s game and was quick to sit on the fence.

The retired England international did state that he felt that there would be goals in the game however.

“Spurs pressed, harried and eventually broke Arsenal’s will in the North London Derby on Saturday and for a side that have played so many games already this season their energy was a real eye-opener,” he said.

“The Reds have only lost one of their last 20 PL home games with Spurs but this is a Spurs side who have won five of their last seven games on the road; I expect to see goals.”

Meanwhile, with Harry Kane adding two more goals to his personal haul on Saturday, the Spurs youth product is quickly becoming one of the Premier League’s most devastating strikers.

Ex-Liverpool midfielder was full of praise for the England under-21 man on talkSPORT, but has stated that Tottenham could become over-reliant on their main man.

“I thought he was superb (against Arsenal)–my main worry is what they have when he’s not available,” Murphy said.

With Emmanuel Adebayor not convincing the White Hart Lane with his attitude this season and Roberto Soldado low on confidence, the retired midfielder’s comments are seemingly fair and the club will surely address the striker situation this summer.

With the games coming thick and fast, tonight’s clash is another massive clash against a club also looking for a top-four finish this season.

It would be a real shame to undo Saturday’s excellent performance by not showing our best at Anfield, but if we play like we did against Arsenal there is no reason we can’t leave Anfield with three points…..COYS!!

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

This is a massive game tonight, time for some revenge get that aggregate down. Weve rolled over and let em tickle our bellies last 3 meetings.
    Lets take some pride back with 3 points!

COYS !!!!

3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I thought we played well again with lots of intensity, but made far too many mistakes. Rose made a poor challenge for the penalty and bentaleb was woeful tonight. We move on and the final part of this season is going to be interesting, unlike Michael Owen!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button