Musacchio deal not off yet

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Luke Symonds, August 6, 2014.

1. Luke Symonds

Luke Symonds New Member

Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio is one of many linked with a move to WHL this summer. However, the rumours are coming in thick and fast and many outlets, including Sky Sports, believe this deal is genuine and could happen.

Many fans would usually take this with a pinch of salt because Musacchio isn't recognised as a “Big Player” in England. Regardless of the name, the Argentine centre-back is thought of very highly in Spain. Despite only being 23, Musacchio has notched up a tidy 139 appearances for the La Liga side adding 3 goals.

Goal UK’s Greg Stobart believes that Tottenham have agreed a £17m deal with Villarreal for him but the deal can't be concluded as there are issues between Villarreal and Musacchio's former club, River Plate, over third-party ownership. River Plate claim they own 35% of Mateo, meaning that should Tottenham complete this purchase, Plate will be given 35% of the fee.

Sky Sports News reported that negotiations have taken place between Tottenham and representatives of Musacchio and the only issue is the ownership of the player.

Mateo Musacchio is a 23 year old defender who has risen rapidly through the ranks at Villarreal. He made his debut in 2010 and has never looked back since. Despite only being 6ft, Musacchio is a presence in the air and showed this when he scored an outstanding header this season against Barcelona. He was instantly recognised by the Catalan outfit after his performance and was one of their transfer targets. Mateo is a strong lad and combining with his aerial ability, he can beat almost any striker to the ball with his power and strength.

Even though he is a tower in defence, one of Musacchio's best traits is his ball-playing skills. He has the ability to pick the ball up in any circumstance and play his way out of trouble. Our current defender Jan Vertonghen, also carries the same ability. I believe that with Mauricio Pochettino's style of play which he is trying to drum into the players at Tottenham, Mateo Musacchio will be a perfect partner with the Belgian in the heart of our defence.

Individual Highlights vs Barcelona:

stevethespur likes this.
  2. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

This will be a great addition to Spurs. Watched a lot of Spanish football while in Sevilla last season and contrary to the beliefs of Americans (and perhaps the English as well although I'm not there, so I don't know), La Liga has great players throughout, not just on Barcelona, Real and Atletico. There are so many players in Spain that would be top drawer players in the EPL but the British and American press don't know who they are, so they're not considered a big name. This guy should be great next to Jan.

3. stevethespur Active Member

Hope Poch can get his man, a fellow argentine to seal up our defence would be very welcome. Since the Ardiles and Villa days ive always liked the way Argentinians play the game. So i hope it'll be 'welcome aboard' ! Coys.

4. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

I cant help wondering if this one of those Danny boy deals, oh look we are buying that CB that we need, oh dear, the deal (predictably) broke down due to the various parties unable to agree on fees, never mind we still have Daws and Kaboul. Might be a bit cynical but i will believe it only when he is wearing the shirt.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button