Leicester the winners as NLD ends in stalemate

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, March 5, 2016.

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Leicester city haven't kicked a football yet today but will be very happy after Spurs and Arsenal drew 2-2 at the Lane.
    Spurs started the brighter but the passing in the final 3rd was awful. Eriksen and Alli today were shadows of themselves. Alli wasn't fit and pulled out of challenges too many times. Kane was a passenger but still has the ability to score a goal as he did which was an absolute screamer! When that went in I thought Spurs would take the points and be top of the Premier league.
    As it is, we were top for 13 minutes.

Arsenal had taken the lead with a neat finish but they were helped by Spurs leaving a huge gap at the back. Lamela had been yellow carded in the first half and it seemed a matter of time before he saw red. However it was Coquelin for the Goones who saw red after receiving a second yellow for a stupid challenge on Kane. The atmosphere increased and Spurs drew level through a neat finish from Alderweireld.
    Then it was time for Kane to provide a moment of sheer magic. He cut in from the left and curled a superb effort into the far corner and the lane went mad. But from then you just felt Spurs were done. They looked leggy throughout and I do wonder if this long season is finally catching up with us.

Wenger bought on Giroud and he put in Sanchez to score. The usually solid Lloris was at fault as it was a poor shot that bobbled over his hands. The defence was again cut open far too easily.

It was Arsenal who near the end could have won it but Toby slid in to make a well timed tackle and so 2-2 it finished.

I can't feel helping a touch disappointed. I felt we lacked a real spark, Kane's goal aside. Both teams seemed edgy but we remain second and still in the title chase.

Poch would do wel to rest Kane, Alli, Dembele and Eriksen on Thursday.

A point is better than none but I can't help feeling we missed a bigger chance today than on Wednesday.
    Now we have to go again but tiredness looks like it's starting to creep in and that may be a bigger factor in our title chances than anything else.

Come on you Spurs.

bruski likes this.
  2. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

a. Arse had key injuries.
    b. Therefor the taking?
    c. We had the ball for 38 mins then they scored a ridiculous back heel goal from nothing.
    d. Their sending off was a 'gift'.
    e. We got our 2 goals.
    f. They got another goal from nothing.
    g. Wenger was creaming his pants with a draw with 10 men.
    The bookies have paid out on Leicester. If we can't beat 10 men we sure as hell can't win the PL.
    It was our game to win and largely we played well.
    We'll never have a better chance at winning PL - or another once Guardiola starts spending. Even Everton will be better next season.
    Having The youngest squad is simply not good enough. We were handed a present today but gave it away The Spursy Way.

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Bitterly disappointed with the draw. After the sending off and 2 goals in as many minutes the second being a thunderbolt from Kane it was time to stamp the Scum out like a bug.
    What did we do? Backed off and let the Arse back in. Poor really fecking poor to gift them the point.
    We dominated that game until that point so a draw feels more like a loss to us and a win to them.
    Think a mention has to go to Lamela today, I'm not his biggest fan but he played very well today. We seemed to lose that energy up top when he went off (think to not risk a 2nd yellow).
    I just think that the slim pickings to alter games is beginning to affect us.
    At 2-1 we should either go for the jugular with fresh attackers or completely kill the game off with solid mids.
    It was an entertaining clash one that we should've won but didn't.
    As I said bitterly disappointed, must get back to winning ways fast.

bruski likes this.
  4. johnnyhrvat Guest

Very disappointed - not with the performance just the result. The only negative on performance being the mentality when we took the lead. The mentality of time-wasting against 10 men when we really had the initiative was probably the reason that we did not win. We still have a great chance to do something unbelievable - two easy games coming up, but treat them as easy games and we shall fail. Leicester will have more problems against the lower-placed teams than the 'better' teams so they actually have a difficult run in. Take the positives from today and go forward.
    Worst-case scenario - we win the league, with Woolwich getting fourth and we face Liverpool in the Europa League Final!

5. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Thoughts....

- We weren't at our best, but with Ospina given MOTM by the BBC Sport website, it wasn't all bad.

- We didn't lose and probably should have closed it off. The scum got 2 goals from 4 shots.

- We looked weary at times, but with Dembele back and Lamela working hard all day long, it wasn't all bad. Mason did nothing of note, nor did Son.

- The Gooners had quality to bring on, the evidence says we didn't.

- Hugo should have saved Sanchez's cross shot.

I slept badly last night, got to the ground at 10-30, feel absolutely weary now....And there are still 9 games to go......

COYS

Ps Watched BD hold BM to 0-0 tonight.....perhaps a EL exit might ease the strain a little....I still feel that with a relatively small core squad, too many more games in that competition are best avoided.....

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I certainly think certain players should be rested on Thursday and by that I mean leave they at home.
    Kane, Alli, Dembele, Eriksen, Lloris.
    Let them have a week off.

7. Spurporter Well-Known Member

We did not get the result, but I am not as disappointed as was after Wed tie. So I disagree with many here.
    It was most dominant NLD performance by Spurs in this century. We had the Goons by the balls, just didn't squeeze it hard. Finishing the games off is a top class team skill. Not there yet. Plus, for two games in the row we had someone who looked like Lloris in goal instead of Hugo. He costs us one point against Hornets and two points today. Anyone who thinks Sanchez's goal was not an easy stop is wrong.

Ramsey will never score anything like he did. Kane I am sure will.
    Bring on Dortmund now! COYS!!!

8. GH10 Guest

You do know that West Ham's nickname is the Hammers and not the Hornets, unless you thought we played Watford on Wednesday?

9. bruski

bruski Active Member

As usual Matt78 I agree with most you say, however on this occasion I must disagree with your comment on Lloris being at fault. The ball was hit with a good degree of pace and, crucially, it was accidently hit hard into the ground giving it a double bounce from close quarters before it went in. Our heroic Frenchman did well to even get a hand on it.
    As for the game itself, yep we were leggy and perhaps our very young side is just faltering in the stamina stakes. It takes years to develop sufficient stamina to last a season, a toughening of mind and body, and our youthful Lillywhites are perhaps just starting to fade.
    This is the first thoughts I have given to THAT game because it HURT. Man it really HURT!!
    COYS!!

Bazza47 likes this.
  10. burnt Guest

Lloris should have saved it just like he should have stopped Spammers goal on Wed ... If that was our reserve keeper he would be getting some stick for it ... Lloris has been brilliant for us in general but it seems to be sacrilege to say he's made a mistake when he clearly has and he's made more this season then he has in the past ... I know he'll be worth a few points throughout the season , but he's cost us 3 in the last few days and that could be crucial in the end ... In the end you have to call it as it is ..... All's not lost yet but it's going to be difficult now especially from April onwards ... C.O.Y.S ......

11. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Burnt you're right about what the reaction would have been if Vorm had let those in......at least one of them should have been saved, preferably Sanchez's one.....bummer

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button