Game of 2 halves and same old errors yet again

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, August 22, 2015.

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Going to the King Power today we not going to be easy. They are riding the crest of a wave at the minute and the fans were buoyant before kick off with the Spurs fans also in amazing voice.
    This was very much a game of two halves for Spurs. Firstly, let's dispel the notion that Leicester just defended in the first half and we tried to break them down because that is utter rubbish. The fact is that in the first half the tactics were all wrong and we were slow, sloppy, lazy and to be honest absolutely awful. The amount of times we see the possession stats for Spurs showing us having the majority but what that doesn't tell us is how little we do with it.
    I counted 7 times in the first 45 minutes when Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Davis just passed the ball along the half way line. Leicester just sat and watched because it was causing them no problems. It was all about Poch getting his tactics wrong yet again. Kane was isolated and when we did get the ball up to him, no one was within ten yards backing him up. It was dull, boring and simply dreadful.

But let's give a bit of credit to Poch because I am guessing he absolutely bollocked them at the break as we came out quicker and Lamela and Chadli got much further forward. Walker played a lovely ball in for Chadli only for the finish to be woeful, high and wide. But the signs were encouraging.
    At last Poch took Lamela off and surely he can no longer keep giving him chances. He ran around a lot but he was knocked off the ball and is simply not good enough.
    Davies started to get forward more and Dembele started to go forwards rather than sideways. Mason played well as did Dier. They didn't stand out as amazing but they did their jobs well for the most part.
    As much as there have been calls for a midfield enforcer to be brought in, what we needed today was someone with a bit of class. A bit of attacking flair and we got it in Delle Alli who I believe should start the next game. He is young, has no inhibitions and showed it today.
    Kane showed strength and skills to hold off the Leicester defence, played a lovely ball to Chadli who lifted the ball toward Kane. It was slightly too high for Kane but Alli was there to put the ball home and he should have had a second but a lack of composure let him down. This lad is exciting and needs to play.

But the the same old Spurs appeared yet again. They celebrated the goal like they had just won the league but switched off and within a minute Leicester were level. It was same old Tottenham. Same old frailties.

In the second half we played with more purpose and played better , faster football. In the first half we were truly dreadful.

2 points dropped today but some signs of encouragement. Pochettino has again showed tactical naivety and must learn that performances like those in the first half will not be tolerated.

So, on we go to the next game. We don't need just a couple of signings we need four or five, but as usual in the last 14 years, we wait until the very last minute to do business. It could prove very costly.

For now, we will take the point.

Come on you Spurs!

2. No tempo. So many times ball could be one touch or quick two touch though was a crawl instead. Dier was only guy to move ball in 1st half at all. Not Verts day.
    Alli, Pritchard and Carroll are guys i want to see.

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. James Guest

So we make a big fuss about needing a striker, spend £12 mil and he's not even the bench!!!!
    We have a team full of young enthusiastic talented nothing to lose players chomping to show what they can do & and our gutless tactically clueless manager sticks " to what he knows". A system that's never worked and never will. How many points have to be dropped before Poch wakes up & stops playing the same people in the same non effective system. 3-1-4-2 will give strength in defence & some cover in front Pace width and more chance to close teams out when we have a lead.
    We are slow boring predictable with no penetration, pace and once again showed a weak mentality in letting a lead slip so quickly.
    It's like Avb all over again, so scared to lose Poch has lost site of how to win.
    Shall look forward to hearing the excuses why we missed CL in May then!!!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. DEL Guest

James I couldn't agree with u more, I'm fed up with the boring way Spurs play and as much as people disagree with wat I'm gonna say but we've gone backwards in terms of play since redknapp! Where's this entertaining attacking football gone? Where's that 1 player that gets u off your feet that Spurs have always had over the years (ossie,villa,hoddle,gazza,ginola,lennon,bale! That 1 player that can change a game on himself we so dearly crave not just as fans watching but for the team and give other players around a lift????? We're so slow predictable and lacking penetration and no width it's a really poor showing from the club as a whole down to lack of transfer activity comin in and the lack of a plan b in games were just so frustrating to watch and we are getting left behind now u cud even say we're way behind Liverpool in terms of what they've done this summer!! More doom and gloom ahead I dread but coys!!!

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  5. JMD Guest Guest

Boring boring boring football. Too many passengers in this team. This is not the Spurs style of football we know. Might as well have kept AVB. Come back Harry all is forgiven. Levy you arrogant....listen to the supporters for without them there will be no Spurs

Felon82 likes this.
  6. Mick

Mick Member

While agreeing about the style or play or lack of , to me the most fundamental flaw in the side is a total inability to see a game out we most be the most brittle side in the PL. There is no one on the pitch to instill a over my dead body attitude they shall not pass. Already we have give away 5 points. The team has got to get to grip with this weakness otherwise style of play becomes irrelevant.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button