DeAndre Yedlin Getting Praise after US Draw Ecuador

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by dnoll5, October 11, 2014.

1. dnoll5

dnoll5 Member

Seattle Sounders star and soon-to-be Tottenham defender DeAndre Yedlin has been gaining some applause for his recent efforts against Ecuador. While retiring USA star Landon Donovan got all the press, it was the play of the Spurs signee that got all the critical acclaim. Oh, by the way, he played on the wing as a midfielder in this game.

Here’s a sample of what people are saying:

Player rating article from ESPNFC.com:
    “DeAndre Yedlin, 8.5 -- The best U.S. player all night. Provided the assist on Mix Diskerud's goal, and was active and clever going forward, which he did often from his right midfield spot. Defensively sound, too.”

Another from ESPN’s Jeff Carlisle:
    “The other big winner was Yedlin. Lining up on the right side of midfield, Yedlin's forays down the right wing proved menacing, although there were moments when taking an extra touch to settle the ball might have served him better than playing first time.”

Player rating from MLSsoccer.com:
    “DeAndre Yedlin (7) - The Seattle-and-eventually-Spurs hotshot notched one assist and could have easily had more with better finishing. In his first international start, Yedlin put seven balls into the opposing area. Forget his running abilities for a moment; let's talk about his situation recognition skills and the softness of his passes into the scoring zones. This one looks special, folks.”

From Foxsports.com, here’s a brief recap of the goal, one in which Yedlin assisted:
    “Diskerud provided the Americans with the perfect start to the celebrations with his opener inside the first five minutes. Donovan played a deep ball to the back post. DeAndre Yedlin, deployed on the right side of midfield with Timothy Chandler selected at right back, claimed it and slotted a clever ball back toward the top of the penalty area. Diskerud met it with a low drive to secure the early advantage.”

After the match, Yedlin had a few comments for the press.

DeAndre on the position shift:
    "It's obviously a little bit of a newer position for me. Defensively, it's a little bit different. When you get the ball there is always a guy around your back. You don't have much time on the ball, so you have to be a little bit more technically sound."

On having played right-back but making the transition to midfield:
    "I think it's good that I've had experience at right back, just because I kind of know what [the defender] needs and what he wants.”

His teammates and coaches praised him as well.

USA and Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan on DeAndre:
    "It's going to take time, but we've got all the confidence in DeAndre. You see his athletic ability, his stamina to get up and down the line. That's what makes him a special player."

USA and LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez on Yedlin’s work ethic:
    "DeAndre is a nice, young kid who has a good head on his shoulders, and he's willing to put in the work. That's good for him. I think that's going to take him a long way."

USA manager Jurgen Klinsmann on Yedlin’s best attribute:
    "Obviously the difference that DeAndre makes is speed. Every team fears that."

With Yedlin making noise that he definitely wants to join Spurs in January instead of June, I think that we have a lot to look forward to from this young American starlet.

stevethespur likes this.
  2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Should he be able to obtain Latvian citizenship, would that spell the end of USMT? USA, as far as I know, do not allow dual. Will he play for Latvia? What's the rule there?

3. stevethespur Active Member

Nice article. Good to hear of Yedlins progress for the States. See him as an eventual replacement for Walker, shame Walker is injured at the moment. Interesting to learn that Yedlin played in midfield. Am enjoying a lazy sunday afternoon waiting for my favourite Rugby team to play on tv the Ospreys ! 100% reacord this season ! News fron the States always welcome. Coys and Ospreys !

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button