Are we finally seeing a Spurs side Pochettino will take pride in?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, January 14, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    Spurs go marching on into the fourth round of the FA cup after coming from two goals down to beat Burnley 4-2 at White Hart Lane.

Despite conceding two goals in the opening seven minutes, goals from some unlikely sources put an end to an enthralling encounter - in our favour.

Mentally tough

In all of Mauricio Pochettino's press conferences this season, the word 'mentality' has been mentioned some way or another. In such broken English, you'd have thought that our boss' choice of words were down to him still learning our lingo - but it looks like that it was just us not listening properly!

Poch has always said about changing our mentality, and I always understood that in a basic way of changing the squad's attitude from one of losers to winners. Tonight, it would have been typical Spurs to fold after going two down in such a short space of time, instead, they rolled up their sleeves to put on a superb comeback.

Many players in today's match-day squad had come under-fire last season for their role in our capitulations and their tendency to 'bottle it' when the going got tough. Without wanting to get too carried away, our comeback tonight in some way shows the change of attitude from our players - displaying qualities not often associated with a modern-day Spurs side.

Versatility very very good

If you had read my predicted line-up for today's game from yesterday, you'd have seen that I was nowhere near close to guessing the side that started today! Although, in fairness to myself, I doubt many would have predicted it correct also!

Tonight saw Danny Rose play at left-wing; Paulinho at centre-attacking midfield and again Chiriches at right-back. Many of us were scratching our heads prior to kick-off, but the performance tonight showed not only that faith is needed in the manager, but that faith is also needed in the players.

You also have to give credit to these players, as despite it being their job to play where they are asked, they showed immense professionalism to take on roles that have been unfamiliar to them in the past. Although this versatility may still not be enough to convince us that we don't need to purchase this window, it is without a doubt a comfort in some respects.

Soldado playing on limited time

There's not much you can in the Soldado case that hasn't been said already! Despite setting up Rose's goal with a neat assist, the Spaniard missed a handful of gilt-edged chances - even hitting the bar from five yards out.

There's no doubting Soldado has ability, and his hold-up and link-up play shows signs of his talent, but again back to square one - for £26m, provided with goal-scoring opportunities against Burnley, why hasn't he scored?

The problem with his performance tonight may not lie in the fact that his time at Spurs is coming to a disappointing end, but that interested clubs will look at him and think - he's not worth taking a gamble on for whatever money we are asking for him.

2. big fran Guest

First 3 goals by part of the 'Magnificent 7' who would have thought it? Shame Robbie didn't bag
    also but at least its put a few on closer view in the shop window January sales. If its true the Italian big guns queuing for paulinho for anywhere around 12m and kaboul and naughton close to moves hopefully we may see one or two 'permanent ' faces coming in which will signal a decent window. I hope capoue Townsend dembele have done enough for a stay of execution to prove their undoubted talents IMO. Unfortunately its time for Lennon to move on and chiriches. Cannot see Ade and BAE leaving until they get the golden handshake no doubt.

3. Sport Guest

Just got back from the game. My pass is this please 442. But it was 451 and we won 4 2 playing 451. SO WHAT DO I KNOW.

bruski likes this.
  4. Rob Guest

Not quite yet!! Getting there though.

5. Reina Guest

To be fair, Soldado had two assists. MP still has faith in him, so we should, as well!

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Looks like the treble is still on!

7. Where are all these clubs fighting for lennons signature,he will retire at spurs still drawing his fifty grand a week, what a joke.

8. Siggy22 Guest

Stephen - maybe Lennon is staying, because if he left, you'd have nothing else to post about ;-)

9. bruski

bruski Active Member

I've yet to see the highlights, but I did see Robbie's open goal miss, and his world class pass across the box, with millimetre perfect accuracy and sublime pace and I'm thinking........does he go or does he stay?
    He is without question a quality player sadly going through a confidence crisis. He must be seeing the ball the size of a golf ball poor sod.
    I've listened to comparisons with Torres but their is none. Robbie always gives 100% with many examples of outstanding team play often culminating in a goal for SOMEONE ELSE. And that is exactly where my sell him/keep him quandary lies.
    He will score eventually, of that I am confident, it just depends on his confidence.

10. Hi siggy22 your right i have driven you all mad with my comments on you know who. But its the manager who picks the team and he agrees with me.

11. bruski

bruski Active Member

I've just watched the highlights and now I'm certain about my Robbie thoughts...........I like him and want to keep him. End of.

12. big fran Guest

If lennon leaves tho Stephen just what or whom will you post about because that would be all your material exhausted !!

13. Wherever lennon moves to i will support that club. ONLY JOKING ONLY JOKING.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button