Winston Reid to Tottenham

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, January 15, 2015.

Share This Page

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

Tottenham are this morning being linked with a move for West Ham defender Winston Reid, who has been receiving rave reviews for his performances in an overachieving Hammers side this term.

The 26-year-old is out of contract this summer and is seemingly unwilling to extend his stay with Sam Allardyce’s men, instead preferring to sign for a top-six club this summer.

A number of media sources today, including The Telegraph, are claiming that Spurs will offer the New Zealand international a pre-contract agreement this January and are willing to match his £60,000 per week wage demands.

If accepted this would see Reid move to White Hart Lane in the summer on a free transfer ahead of next season.
    The likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton have all been mentioned as potential admirers of Reid also, with most reports claiming that these sides would offer West Ham compensation for an immediate deal this month.

With the Boleyn Ground side in the hunt for European qualification after a promising first half of the campaign, there is every chance that West Ham will reject any monetary offers and opt to keep Reid until the summer.
    But, is he someone that can improve what Spurs already have?

There is no doubting that Reid has all the raw attributes to be a success at Spurs and has proven at West Ham that he can prosper in the Premier League.
    He is relatively quick across the ground, excellent in the air, physical and reads the game well. Importantly, Reid has started 20 of West Ham’s 21 league games this season and has been one of the side’s unsung heroes and most consistent players.

Jan Vertonghen and Federico Fazio have struck up an improved centre-half pairing this season for Spurs, but there are still reservations about the Argentine’s lack of pace and clumsiness at times.

Behind the first-choice pairing, Eric Dier has been unlucky not to see more game time this season, but has shown in the chances he has been given that he can be a valuable player in the future and at the very least dependable if called upon.

Younes Kaboul was given a rare outing last night in the FA Cup win over Burnley, which may well have been the final nail in the coffin of his Spurs career.

The French defender was way off the pace, consistently out of position and now simply must be sold before the end of the month or this summer.

Kaboul has never convinced that he has the qualities necessary to be a consistent fixture in the Spurs side, with Reid being a considerable upgrade on the former Portsmouth man.

As the transfer window moves along, it will be interesting to see what happens with Reid, with some clubs potentially offering West Ham a deal to sign him straight away and others approaching the player with a pre-contract agreement to switch in the summer.

With Fazio and Vertonghen consistent at the heart of the defence and Dier as a deputy, there is a case to suggest that Spurs do not overly need Reid straight away, but bringing him in for free ahead of next season looks like it could be a shrewd piece of business.

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

This for me is a must, Reid has all the atributes a CB needs in this league and is proven.
    It would be great to see him and Dier long term forge a CB partnership, id feel alot more comfortable with them 2 than Kaboul and Chiriches.
    Time for the serial dawdler to pull the finger out and do something constructive for the team for once.

notnats likes this.
  3. big fran Guest

I agree be a great addition for free. Can play either side of the cb positions and right bk. Looks a leader too. A nominal fee to take him early will be worth a punt if it gains us CL football but i suggest rather the false economist Levy wont see it that way he would rather see it as saving 3/5 m it would take even tho CL would net 60m. Delph on a similar deal would be nice.

Danny Ings also available on free to sign a pretty contract but a compensation fee will need to be paid in summer. Ditch soldado and free Ade and we will have the countries best 3 young strikers in the land if we snare berahino who is a fantastic talent who will only get better!

notnats likes this.
  4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Exactly Fran these are what id call 'clever' deals, they are all achievable without breaking the bank and will help us take a few hits on the expensive flops weve signed in a bid to move forward.

bruski and notnats like this.
  5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Try not to get excited about about january talk but there are a few very good and very achievable buys out there. Reid makes sense and would be an excellent buy, if anyone comes in for Kaboul bite arm off at elbow FFS and get this one done. Im also coming around to the idea of young Inges, Ade wont hang around to be behind these younsters in the pecking order and maybe start to realise his true value. Also not against Delph for a good price as I dont see a future at this club for Paulinho or Dembele.

bruski likes this.
  6. big fran Guest

I live up in Blackburn and work with a lot of Burnley fans so I know how good he is and can become. I seen for myself the other week at turf moor for how hard he works from the front. He can play off the main striker and also as a number 10 or out wide. He would compliment are Harry rather than replace which I think we all want to see. Gives u an option to play 2 up in certain games and can also rotate with Kane. Perfect fit and a good price. Last thing we can I'll afford is another expensive flop who hinders
    Kanes development whilst earning mega bucks n no sell on value. Ditto delph n reid.

7. bruski

bruski Active Member

Just heard on Talk Sport that Mopo wants to keep Ade and that very few of our squad will be leaving!!! What the?????!!!!!

8. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Sounds like standard BS, Ade is a huge problem for the club with his wages and his poor form as well as his attitude. I never know what to believe at times but why would Poch want to keep him. Trouble is he doesn't want to go, ive read that he has demanded even more money to go to Italy on a loan. We might well be stuck with Ade until his contract is up.Bring in a young DI and pay Ade out.

9. AndyH New Member

Ade happy to stay and pull in his £100k wages. The only way to get rid of him before his contract expires is to share his wages with a loan club. Sounds crazy, but that's how City got shot of him.

Shame really, he was on fire under Sherwood. But it never lasts...

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button