Wimmer latest; key star rejects exit; two USA international call-ups

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by GarethMcKnight, March 23, 2015.

Share This Page

1. GarethMcKnight

GarethMcKnight Member

With Tottenham’s defence looking less than air-tight and conceding six goals in our last two games, it is little wonder that we are being linked with new centre-halves.

One of the names most commonly being touted with a switch to White Hart Lane is Kevin Wimmer, who has been impressing in the Bundesliga.

Wimmer

The Guardian reported last week that Spurs were closing in on £4.3 million move for the Austrian centre-half, who plays for Koln in Germany.

Wimmer went on to confirm that there had been negotiations, but his latest comments state that he is focussed on helping his current team rather than being distracted by talk of a move.

“I’m not the type that can be moved off course by such rumours,” Wimmer told Express newspaper in Austria.

“I do not think about that or anything else before or during the game. My head is fully on the matter at hand, I will not be fazed.

“The fact is that there are talks and interest is there. I focus as much as possible on FC Koln and the relegation battle. I want to keep them in this league and that’s the only thing that currently counts for me.”

Eriksen

Meanwhile, talk of Christian Eriksen being in Paris Saint-Germain’s sights has intensified of late, but the latest report in the Mirror suggests that the playmaker wants to stay in North London.

The diminutive Dane has been a revelation for us this season, orchestrating goals from midfield and finding the back of the net nine times himself in the Premier League.

However, despite the reported interest from big-spending PSG, the report states that Eriksen is happy with Mauricio Pochettino’s team, settled in London and will spurn any possible advances from the Ligue 1 club this summer.

Obviously this is massively positive news for Tottenham, with the Scandinavian schemer a crucial part of the team’s attack.

Yedlin and Carter-Vickers

Finally, Spurs’ American players DeAndre Yedlin and Cameron Carter-Vickers have been called up to the USA senior and under-20 squads respectively.

Yedlin’s arrival in January caused excitement following the sprightly right-back’s impressive showings for Jurgen Klinsmann’s side at the World Cup.

However, the defender is yet to represent Spurs at first-team level, with adjustment to new surroundings taking time.

Yedlin will get a chance to potentially play against Denmark and Switzerland in upcoming international friendlies, which are a pre-cursor to the Gold Cup.

Carter-Vickers has been impressing in the Spurs youth ranks and will join up with the American under-20 squad for a training camp in England.

The North American contingent are set for a clash with England under-21’s, with the under-20 World Cup in New Zealand this summer a possibility for the Spurs youngster as a result.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button