Will Daniel Levy fail Pochettino?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, December 29, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Less said about Ming the better.

Dont hold your breath on any big signings wrong time of year for top quality and price.

The Berahino fiasco has put us in this position, the striker buisness shouldve been concluded in the Summer.

We have a great chance of doing something this year as long as all stay fit.

The difference between the infamous 'saha n nelsen' window is the 2 Manchester clubs we were neck n neck with were of a much higher quality than City n Scum are right now.

A striker in the mould of kane imo Austin would be ideal and we need a forward with pace if were being greedy.

Nomadico and Jonesy like this.
  2. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

2011/12....still as painful today as it was then to see us only take two Has Beens on a free - it so summed up Blofeld for me.
    Fast forward to now and in some respects it feels so very different. Then we were looking for two top players to strengthen the squad, but I suspect the bucket list would have all been "names".
    For me the key thing is finding players who can fit the team....team being the key word. We look and play like a team, the likes of which I've certainly not seen at The Lane for many moons.
    For me Berahino doesn't fit the bill. A striker with the right attitude is what we need.....like Benteke. So I know he's no longer available, but that's the type of player we need - a team player. Those suggesting Charlie Austin could be close to the mark.
    I would also like to see a midfield player who could pick a pass added to the squad. Not easy but absent for me.....could ask the legend that is Mr. Hoddle to dust off his boots, somebody like him anyway, or say 50% as good should fit the bill.
    So I still read all the gossip, wait for real news and sincerely hope for us all, and for the lads in the team, that DL amazes us and does the Biz......
    COYS

Nomadico, Jonesy and Felon82 like this.
  3. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Totally agree Felon....and with pace, we definitely lack that in the current squad.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

C'mon Felon, let's keep positively naive and hope Levy will deliver a much needed proven striker in the forthcoming window!

Agree quality will cost. However we are likely to ship out Fazio and Andros, therefore reinvest the funds accordingly Danny boy. In short, u get what u pay for.

Get the deal/s done early Jan and avoid bang average/has been players...

Nomadico and Felon82 like this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

The differences between then and now is that previously we had 2/3 players the team club totally relied on even the rest of the team did, we were nursing an injured King and Veteran Gallas at CB and had no credible Striker that was doing the buisness.
    Now we have a world class keeper, a solid fit CB pairing, hungry fbs and Midfielders. We need complements to the squad over necsesities.

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I like the fact Poch has moulded a real "team" ethos now. On paper and at the start of the season, I don't think any of us envisaged the current points return.

Important to keep the momentum and ensure we bring in players that will obviously improve us, whilst keeping the squad settled etc...

Player "profile" and "attitude" is key in our team now!

Nomadico and John Pitt like this.
  7. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Somebody has written a levy article and it's not me!!! I must be slipping!!!

I watched Long for the Saints on Saturday and he could be a wise acquisition. He has pace and strength and could be available for a reasonable fee.
    He could also work well with either Kane or Son.

Josh Bolton, Felon82 and Jonesy like this.
  8. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely. I knew there was sum1 missing of my list!

Probably a better fit than Berahino, although not that prolific and 6 years older (28). Good attitude, plenty of PL experience and puts a shift in too.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. stoner Guest

Come on people be realistic do you see Levy doing the business early in the window (if at all), I know he surprised us all by getting some players early on in the summer window.
    Personally I think that Son & Njie when fit could play alongside Kand (also Carroll & Pritchard - he deserves a chance at last). The team is playing well together and I think that we need don't anybody - having said that though it seems as though Berahino doesn't feature in Pulis's plans "lucky to be named as a sub" was the comment by Pulis I think or something similar. I would still take him though as I believe that Poch will be able to get the best out of him. With him not playing I reckon his price will have dropped, problem is we may have burned our bridges with there chairman in the summer window. As always shall be glued to the gossip columns next month just to see what (if anything transpires)

10. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Levy is not only a football bureaucrat. He is a supporter. Thus, he will not fail Poch. That's the answer to good question by the good article.
    Now, who will Spurs buy this window? First off, no pure striker should be considered. Why? Harry Kane is not a pure striker. He does not sit there in 18 yard box waiting for aerial. Harry involves himself into buildup often. That's the way Poch wants his finishers to play. So just forget about Austin and anyone like him. We need Adebayor type of player. May be lesser talent, but similar, yet young and ambitious. Berahinho comes to mind. Long is not a bad choice either, but he is on the wrong side of 28, so he should be a strong NO given current Spurs concept.
    In addition to striker, Levy must buy a CB for Fazio that will be sold and wide MF to cover outgoing Townsend.

Last edited: December 30, 2015
  11. Bobbyspurs Guest

Tottenham should get division one leading goalscorer Andy Williams from Doncaster as cover for Harry Kane could be bargain of the year

Mattj78 likes this.
  12. Siggy22

Siggy22 New Member

Would love to see Charlie Austin at Spurs even if he's considered 'too similar to Kane'.

Great work ethic, no big ego, proven in the Premier League and above all, he scores goals!

Could even play Kane in the no.10 role behind Austin in games where we are obvious favourites.

Would allow Kane (who is a very clever play, make no bones about it!) more chance to get involved in play and get himself in positions to shoot from distance.

Some doubts over Austin's injury record, but it's not as if we'll have to break the bank to get him!

Felon82 and Josh Bolton like this.
  13. johnnyhrvat Guest

I cannot see that it will be Levy's fault if we do not get quality signings this winter, other clubs are only interested in selling their dross (as are we) however much pressure you put on them.
    Behrinho will probably become available but his attitude is not going to do us any good whatsoever - he plays for himself and not for the team. If he thinks WBA treated him badly he would be in for a shock if in the same position with Levy.

What about Andre Karamarić from Leicester? I'm a bit biased here but the lad was on fire when he joined a team at the very bottom of the Premier League a year ago, and although he didn't set the league alight, the team has not looked back since. This season under a new coach he has barely got a look in and seems to be second choice reserve striker on the bench. What he does have going for him is that he scored 8 goals in 16 appearances in the Europa League and that was playing for the minnows - and he scored against the Woolwich!

14. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    I'm not putting too much responsibility on Levy - the title itself is a bit ambiguous ;)

Poch (who usually distances himself from transfer talk in press conferences) admitted we will probably be in for a striker that won't upset squad balance, but will have the quality to improve it. He said a few weeks back: "For me, always you want to find a striker that scores a lot of goals and who has good physical condition, good characteristics, can press, work hard and is a nice guy too."

I know we won't buy for the sake of it, but if the right player becomes available, I hope we act! At least that way, whatever happens at the end of the season, we can say we gave Poch all the tools he needed and that we are where we truly deserve to be:)

Mattj78 likes this.
  15. Siggy22

Siggy22 New Member

I know this will never happen due to age (29) and price quoted (£8m) but what about Steven Naismith at Everton?

Not an out and out goal scorer, but is different to Kane, direct, pacey and has that bit of bite that would only suit Poch's high press?

Wouldn't be a long term player, but more a stop-gap between now and the end of the season

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. 71yid

71yid Member

Austin for me has to b. Affordable despite too many home grown players wiv inflated prices, egos n wages. At least he had a gud return in a poor Qpr side when last in PL. Berahino hasnt really set the world alight n wud poss upset the balance of the team much like Adebayor has at times. How bout bringin Defoe back on the cheap for a 3rd time???? Shud neva hav bin allowed to leave to begin wiv. Coys

17. guesty Guest

Defoe would be a massive step backwards.
    And we wouldn't finish top4 with him as a lone striker

18. Nomadico Well-Known Member

There has to have been a reason none of the big teams came in for Austin last time out,He might sound good but I have a feeling he will not be the player to help us progress and will be another sick note as soon as he has to play at the pace Poch demands,week in week out,we should let this one go....

19. genevaspurs Guest

If we want to buy for the future Breel Embolo is the best choice trust me. He is a really good technical player with some excellent physical aptitudes. We have to buy him before f@cking gooners.... !

COYS

Nomadico likes this.
  20. Big fran Guest

If your looking for a like for like striker the Austin is your man all day long. There has been a lot of clubs interested in him but he is fully aware he's a free agent and can command a big sign on fee come the summer. I think he's also been cautious in avoiding signing for a lower ranked premium side and run the risk of another relegation. Also in his mind would be signing for a bigger club and playing second fiddle to a Kane or lukaku so I can understand his future will be decided by himself rather than qpr striking up a bidding war with clubs he doesn't want to go to. His decision will be how good does he think he can be??
    If your looking for a striker with more variety in his game and can play different attacking roles then my choice would be Saido Berahino without question and unbelievable talent and finisher. Forget this seasons stats he's been at a club who he doesn't want to play for (rightly or wrongly ),a manager who clearly wants to sell him and barely given him a run in the side.
    If none of the above or both are not signed the Defoe really is not a bad shout if he accept the fact he isn't going to start many games buy in the twighlight of his career is going to the club he loves and the fans love him. He could still contribute given the boxes he ticks
    *great finisher *impact sub*will get minutes in the cups*will be relatively cheap in a traditionally over inflated window*will allow us to play other systems ie Kane no10 or a 442 a system in which he thrives with a big man*prem proven*knows the club*cover for Kane and allow Kane to be subbed off now and again-all this provided he accepts the role which was similar to Ian wright and Micheal Owen who both won their only league title in a similar capacity! !

Nomadico likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button