What comes next for Spurs' returning stars?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, October 28, 2015.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Spurs fans will still be beaming after the 5-1 victory over Bournemouth this weekend seemed to show Pochettino’s talented young side return to it’s best.

It was heartwarming to see a surprisingly settled Spurs eleven, with little qualms over who would make up the starting side prior to kick off. Nacer Chadli’s injury meant that Mousa Dembele kept his place after his barnstorming performance against Liverpool, and so Eric Dier could slot straight back in following his suspension.

The squad seemed so settled in fact, that those who are either close to or recently returning from injury may find it difficult to break back into the first eleven.

Ryan Mason emerged from the bench after a 6 week absence thanks to a knee injury he picked up in scoring the only goal of the game against Sunderland in mid-September, but he along with other stricken stars Nabil Bentaleb and Heung Min Son have certainly got a fight on their hands if they are to wrestle their way back into Poch’s preferences.

Dele Alli and Eric Dier have forged an impressively balanced partnership at the base of the Spurs midfield, all but wiping clean the memories of the exciting Bentaleb-Mason pivot which emerged in the second half of last season. Dier has become essential in protecting the back four while his 2-year-old counterpart has grabbed two England caps in the time that his teammates have been sidelined.

Meanwhile, Mousa Dembele found his way onto the scoresheet in the absence of Heung Min Son – who started brightly with goals against Crystal Palace and FC Qarabag – but wouldn’t be budging the Belgian from the side in his current form; nor Erik Lamela who also found the net at Bournemouth.

He can forget about replacing Harry Kane, too, as the murmurings suggested before the England striker bagged a hat-trick on the south coast.

Even Nacer Chadli, who’s form has been far from exemplary so far this season, will be fighting an uphill battle when he eventually returns to fitness.

Bentaleb, Chadli and Mason were all nailed on starters at the beginning of the season, and everyone planned for Son to make his move into the first eleven fairly swiftly. However the emergence of players like Alli and Dier, and the unexpected show of resilience from Mousa Dembele has certainly given Pochettino something to think about.

Even Erik Lamela, who was in certain danger of losing his place in the side, has stepped up his game and looks far from droppable. It’s the kind of scenario which could see players like Andros Townsend forced out of the club; if you’re not good enough then it will be highlighted and your place will be lost to minute-hungry substitutes, Kieran Trippier had a nightmare against Anderlecht, for example, while Kyle Walker has been consistently solid. Now nobody expects Trippier make a significant push for a starting place in the Premier League, instead condemned to European away games.

But, as far as selection headaches go, this is one that Poch wont mind having. The squad is thriving with healthy competition; Walker vs Trippier, Mason vs Alli, Davies vs Rose just to name a few. It could even be said that Clinton N’Jie’s impressive striking performance in Belgium can take credit for Harry Kane’s return to form at the weekend.

At the moment, no Spurs player wants to lose his place in the side, and that means they’re going to have to keep performing to keep it.

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Bentaleb has never been exciting or ever will be and Son could replace lamela/chadli any day.

Remy Uwilin likes this.
  3. Kaizad Guest

Not promising? Granted he hasn't been consistent of late, but the kid is certainly very talented! Skillful, forward thinking, a good eye for a pass, combatative. He's young man, just be patient with the young'uns

4. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Bentaleb's done a fantastic job, and he's only young. He'll improve for sure. I also figure Son starts in our best XI - back five is obvious, HL, DR, JV, TA, KW - then I'd go Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Kane - the three are very fluid, with Alli and Son being the more direct and Eriksen dictating play either side or in between them. What I love is that we're getting rid of the term Spursy - surely away to a newly promoted team, and 1-0 down inside a minute would have troubled teams of the past? Onwards and upwards to a team that, in the distant future, may well be called champions.

5. burnt Guest

Don't forget Pritchard , lookin forward to see what he can do .. Plenty to prove but exciting young player ..

Felon82 likes this.
  6. burnt Guest

Not all about so called exciting players to be fair .. Teams need a balance , chiefs + Indians .. Not sure anyone would call Makalele , Macherano , Gattuso , Keane or players of that ilk exciting but they were vital .. Some of that group would have been first on the team sheet .. Not sure what to make of Bentelab yet , he's young talented and can only get better but for me himself and Mayson never convinced as a midfield pair , always something missing in the engine room when they were paired but for sure that type of player , weather it turns out to be him or someone else is vital to any team ...

Felon82 likes this.
  7. Josh k Guest

"Clinton N’Jie’s impressive striking performance in Belgium . . ."

Huh? N'Jie's non-performance against Anderlecht simply confirmed that Spurs' squad contains only one striker. That would be a ludicrous situation for a pub outfit, much less a PL club intent on challenging on four fronts.

Felon82 likes this.
  8. Clinton N’Jie is a waste of money, he will be off loaded in a season or two like our other current fringe merchants!

9. big fran Guest

I said at the beginning of the season spurs were weak in mid due to the fact chadli bentaleb and mason where all first team starters. Now they have been out the team results and performances improve. Make of that what u will. Bentaleb may prove me wrong the other two will not. We need to stay in touch with the top four until Jan and add a little more quality in the attacking third. Son for me will find his way back in but a wide pacey attacker who gets goals would be ideal although I'm not writing off Njie yet as some have. Sadio Mane or Jay Rodriguez be lovely additions and I still like Miralles. Berahino could be a deal to reignite.

10. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Our best starting 11 with everyone healthy in my opinion is: Lloris, Walker, Toby, Vert, Rose, Dier, Mason, Eriksen, Son, Lamela, Kane. Alli(Mason), Dembele(Lamela), Davies(Rose) being next man up. Njie isn't a striker, he'd play better as an attacking winger but at the moment he has no choice of where to play. Lamela's ahead of Dembele due to his contribution on set plays. All in all though we have a strong squad that can and should push for top 4 finish!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button