We've plugged a hole

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Felon82, July 4, 2019.

Share This Page

1. P reed Guest

I see that trying to buy Dybala is dependent on selling Rose and ericson. which probably means we are not going to get him.Why can’t levy buy what we need and clear the deadwood.I personally have a feeling we will start the season with only one signing and the friendly against united has shown us that we have promising youngsters who are not ready for the premiership yet.Does Pochettino really think we are covered at full back and where is the pace we need on the flanks.I suppose all the rose coloured brigade will soon be jumping to criticise me but after supporting spurs for 60 years nothing surprises me any more when we accept second best.

Felon82 likes this.
  2. Big fran Guest

I read that article but not sure. Think sessagnon and lo celso deals are down to negotiate transfer fees. They will happen. A few have mooted lo celso as a direct replacement for eriksen which I disagree. Eriksen is a no10 who at times got asked to play as an 8 for the team last year and got found. Alli similar but got found out less so. Lo celso is a genuine 8 despite his goal tally and has genuine box to box qualities.. Dybala I think will definitely be dependant on eriksen staying or leaving. Moura could be key this year if he can find consistency in his game to his performances v utd away, ajax away and Huddersfield at home he's unplayable. If we get sessagnon and lo celso and keep eriksen or replace with dybala given that Toby stays, ndombele and the emergence of parrot we are in a good place. Imo. Outsiders but defo stronger.

3. Cheshuntboy Guest

I honestly think this is one of the weirdest transfer windows I can remember - some of our most important players of recent seasons reportedly for sale, but only the least-regarded of them actually gone, and endless stories linking us with yet more Argentinians, of whom we've already got more than enough. Are we seriously after Dybala as well as Lo Celso? Is it just Levy yet again creating the illusion of activity to keep the mugs happy? Whatever it is, it doesn't look like a carefully thought-out (let alone executed) transfer strategy, but I'll be happy to wipe the egg off my face if something special, VDV or Modric-style, appears before the deadline, but otherwise it's another 3/10, and another struggle for top four next season.

Bazza47 likes this.
  4. P reed Guest

I see the arse have just spent 80000 euros on a winger .I thought they did not have a budget for this type of out lay and still levy sits on his hands especially as it looks like Dybala will be offered to United as part of deal to get lukako.Even if we do buy it won’t give the players time to bed in before the season starts like the clubs with a chairman with brains not a calculator to see if we can break even or make a profit.WOULDNT IT BE NICE TO SEE OUR MANAGER BACKED LIKE KLOPPwhen he bought a centre half that most people thought was overpriced.Werent they wrong

Bazza47 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

So we sell a 1st choice CM, a 1st choice FB, Let a 2nd Striker go......

And sign 1 CM.
    (Also a kid who stays out on loan)

And the window shuts in 11 days.

Ready for the new season?
    Stronger?
    Any drive / ambition to end the Trophy drought?

6. Genevaspurs Guest

I fully understand Felon but also the positive reviews on the summer strategy of Daniel Levy. On one side I would like us to have already done all our purchases (full back, aisle and a second striker). On the other hand, I think that it is difficult to act as long as certain players (Eriksen, Rose, Wanyama) wish or could leave the club but that their departure is linked to transfer activities that are independent of pur beloved Spurs ... Apart from a few good catch here and there, the transfer market has been undergoing little activity for a month. We are going to see this week what Levy and MP have in the belly ...! Apart from a preventable defeat and with a C team against United, the preparation was done with a team that knows very well and whose automation is perfectly honed. I do not have fears for the first games. However if we want to claim better for this season, we need more speed in the wings and another midfielder because Dier, Dele or Wanyama are on a very poor period since 6 monte at Least. Dele need to know where the bench is and to stop to think he is a star ! He is more a clown than à star and I cannot understand why MP give him is full confidence following his disastrous second part of last season. COYS !

7. P reed Guest

What has happened to our squad strengthening or does keeping aldy and ericson count as they were expected to leave.The arse are going for it big time apart from a centre half thank god.It now looks like Celso deal is stalling and we have no full backs to improve our crossing or are we going to change our formation.Please let me be wrong that Levy is once again penny pinching and trying to do things on the cheap.What was the point of the wonderful new stadium if the team does not match it.Cant we at least show some ambition by going for the top .You wouldn’t think this was the same club that surprised the football world in the sixties when they broke the transfer record to buy the great Jimmy Greaves

Bazza47 likes this.
  8. palmover Active Member

Spurs used a 4231 formation Vs Rm today and by all accounts the team looked better. I am not sure what MP's preferred formation is, as he has been changing it a lot recently. Hopefully he can fit Lo celso into a 4231. I have never seen Lo celso play however, he is meant to be a bit of an all rounder with better dribbling skills than Ce, also he has an eye for goal. I hope Ce leaves as his commitment is lacking.
    I would have loved bale on loan, however, it's not gonna happen. Still think spurs need to add a pacey wide attacker, and still think Zaha could do a job, again it's not gonna happen.
    Lo celso, and Sess in Ce out.
    Apparently some of the youngsters look like they could make the step up to the squad, Skipp, parrot and tangan. Also Foyth got a mixed review.

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Into single figures now left of the TW.

10. P reed Guest

Just watched our game against RealMadrid and we did okay against a weak Madrid Bayern will be more of a test today but it was Poch after match comments which give cause for concern.He angrily replied to questions about transfers saying it was not down to him but the club and perhaps they should change his title to coach instead of manager.I believe if Levy does not come through with at least 2 more signings Pochettino will not stay the whole season and Levy will have stitched us up again.Us supporters once again have to sit back and take it .Dont the official supporters club have a voice in their meetings with the club.I believe that at last Pochettino is seeing the light and don’t expect him to stay much longer as Levy will not like comments Poch made yesterday

Felon82 likes this.
  11. palmover Active Member

One of the things i dislike about Mp is his need to make excuse's, he comes up with them all the time instead of winning trophies, which spurs have had the chance to do in his tenure.
    I feel MP has taken spurs a far as he can, 5 years is a long time at one club these days so if he left at the end of this season it would give another coach a chance to do what MP can't and win trophies.
    Could he be angling for a way out by stating that he is meant to be the manager not a coach? Apart from Newcastle, Mp is the only manager who makes regular digs at his chairman.

12. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Newcastle got quiet. MP said he is happy with any squad Levy gets him. I wouldn't make a big deal out of his HC comments.
    The clubs that had bad seasons are doing wholesale acquisitions. Spurs do not belong to the group of RM, MU, Juventus, PSG. There are also no players on the market today that would make Spurs XI better than City's. We are already better than Liverpool after Ndobele. It is on paper, though, so it is MPs job to make it on the pitch.
    The situation is fluid. Zidane could be fired in a few months, so Bale decided to wait for new manager. It could be MP. It doesn't make sense for Levy to spend and buy a ton only to let the new manager to sort his acquisitions out.

13. P reed Guest

What is spurporter on spurs are already better than Liverpool.?????? Two international full backs the best centre half in Europe 3world class strikers and not a bad midfield who is he kidding?.He then thinks Levy shouldn’t buy to many players in casePoch leaves no wonder levy acts likehe does with this attitude

14. Big fran Guest

Full strength Madrid you meant to say??

15. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Yes, Pool has the best CB, but that is where it ends. Spurs defense is the best in EPL. Foyt was the best defensive FB in Copa America. Their front 3 is all Pool got in the attack, on bench is Origi, who is not as good. We have Son-Kane-Moura up front with Lamela on bench and Eriksen-Ndombele-Dele in MF with Winks on bench. Are Pools top 6 better? Not really. The only reason they may be ahead is their G.
    Pool has a better tactician in Klopp, he is the reason for them doing well. In CL final Klopp stripped Poch naked and let him run around to full embarrassment.

Last edited: July 31, 2019
  16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

In the Prem last year
    26 more points
    22 more goals
    A better goal difference of 39 , Spurs shipping 17 more goals than Pools defence.

Would 'suggest' otherwise.....

Last edited: July 31, 2019
  17. Spurporter Well-Known Member

We will finish above LFC this season. What is that Spurs are holding? Ha?
    [​IMG]

18. Cheshuntboy Guest

Disagreement is what football blogs are all about, but to claim that Spurs are currently better than Liverpool is so absurd that it reduces discussion to a joke. They might have taken their foot off the accelerator in pre-season, but any Spurs/Liverpool combined eleven might have three or four Spurs players at best, and they beat us three times last season (obviously including the CL Final, which they won without needing to break sweat because we were so poor, with Pochettino's stupid decision to play Kane showing what a tactical genius he really is). I didn't intend this to be a pro-Liverpool rant, but the blinkered 'In Levy/ENIC/Pochettino We Trust' mentality of some people can just be too much to put up with.

Felon82 likes this.
  19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

From what I've witnessed so far , we look fitter/sharper , Dier & Wanyama are now expensive surplus , Lamela is still a headless chicken and given time to think is useless and takes 4 touches when 1 would do , KWP has potential not sure if he's anywhere near ready or the level same for Parrot Skipp etc , we're still short and a couple injuries we're struggling again, N'dombele has filled the Dembele hole looks like he has more about him though.

But that's about it nothing special or progressive we've not improved and will still come up short over a season.

7 days left without reinforcements of quality expect no more than 3rd/4th could even struggle for that.

Again window looking like an absolute joke for us, Poch hammering square pegs in again , distancing himself from the buisness to get his pity me excuses in early , Levy doing his usual egotistical neglect for the club

20. Spurporter Well-Known Member

It would be so a few months ago. Now time has changed, last season is in rear view mirror. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. I did not say Spurs are better than MCFC, but Liverpool is in very much same situation as we were last August. Its best players are spent in summer tournaments. So their best assets may not make combined XI, unless you still live in last season. Gas pedal or not Pool did not look good. Van Dyke is a few errors away from being Toby and he does make those now, although he might not want to stay focused, which is not good either.
    I suggest we will return to this by looking at EPL table around Christmas. You might be surprised.

Last edited: August 1, 2019

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button