Well, well, Welbeck....

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, August 22, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

So, as the transfer window draws to a close and managers finalise who they want and who they don't, it would appear that Danny Welbeck has been told that he does not feature in the plans of Louis Van Gaal at Manchester United.

As I always say with this sort of news, it is of course only newspaper talk, but as the rumours are suggesting that he may want to join Spurs, let's have a look shall we?

Goals galore?

One constant comment from many bloggers has been our inability to sign a striker capable of scoring twenty plus goals a season for us. I am in two minds on this one as I genuinely still believe that Soldado can score plenty for us, but whether he remains at the Lane is still to be seen.

Pochettino has not hidden his fondness for Harry Kane and it will be interesting to see if he can do as good a job with young Harry as he did with Rodriguez at Southampton.

Adebayor will forever be an enigma, one minute smashing the ball home and saluting the faithful, the next wandering around like he would much rather be somewhere else. So, where do we turn if we truly want that twenty plus a season striker?

Well done

Welbeck has scored twenty goals in 90 appearances for Man United and at times he does look like is the real deal, but on other occasions, he does not look like a top class striker.

He likes the ball over the top for him to run on to and I am not convinced that is the style that we will see from Pochettino, although Welbeck is strong and does have pace. Then again, Adebayor can demonstrate both of those attributes when the mood takes him.

Better the devil you know?

Again, a common theme in event weeks has been whether players we are linked with are actually any better than what we already have.

Welbeck has certainly scored goals in the Premiership, but whether I see him as a 20 plus a season striker is debatable. We all know that the jury is out as far as Soldado is concerned, but I am still sticking to my belief that he will come good....if he stays.

Lamela will get goals this season and I can see Harry Kane being a surprise package. Pochettino must have belief in him to give him a new long term contract, so what could Welbeck bring that these players do not?

Perhaps a run in a team may bring out the best in him but I am just not convinced that this is someone who would make a big enough difference to the team.

Whether the rumours are true or not, no doubt Jim White and the lady dressed as a banana will tell us very soon!! For now though, we are fine as we are......aren't we.

As ever fellow Spurs fans.....COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!!!!

Spurporter likes this.
  2. Gibbo87 Guest

Think if we buy him he would be used on the left in a 433.
    He isn't good enough to be a centre forward for a top club

3. spurgatso Guest

Dont need him Kane is going to piss off the Tottenham "fans and score lots of goals for us

Deggsy56 likes this.
  4. Deggsy56

Deggsy56 Active Member

Besides, we do not want Mancr rejects! Give us RVP or even Rooney why don't ya. Will never forgive them over Carrick or Berbatof or 'that goal'. **** off Welbeck don't need u !

5. kbspurs Guest

I like the girl in banana she is hot. Good to look at whilst Jim White prattles on

Mattj78 likes this.
  6. Mattj78

I would have to agree about Welbeck. I just can't see what he would add and if players are going to come in, they need to be significantly better than what we already have and Welbeck just isn't that good.

7. big fran Guest

I'm probably gonna get a backlash about this but I think he'd be a great
    signing for us. When I first watched him I thought he was useless then I stopped judging him as a centre forward and more as a wide left player. His overall goal record for utd ain't great and will never hit 20 a season. But over the last couple of season for club n country is averaging 1 in 3/4 which comes in somewhere round 15/16 from mid where we clearly lack goals. On top of that he seems to score important goals works his nuts off and really has an uncanny knack of stretching defences especially inbetween the right bk and centre half which opens space for other mid runners an a CF (soldado) maybe..

8. Gimpster

Gimpster New Member

Carlton Cole ?

9. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Welbeck is not that bad but he isnt great either, he would add some much needed pace and energy up top. There are much better strikers out there for sure but the accountant wont pay up for them so if this is the best we can afford then so be it.

10. Michael Guest

Welbeck really has not received a lot of games in a row with ManU. They would give him 3-4 and then put someone else out on the left and then sub him in as a striker occasionally. What I saw of him during preseason was impressive and he will provide another target man for Lloris and Capoue. Like Chadli he can win an ariel duel or two but he has more pace. If he would give his all to play that Jay Rodriguez position I think he could be very effective for us.

He works hard and has the stamina to close down players and is another ariel threat to add to set pieces with Adebayor.

I think this potential signing makes sense. He and Kane could end up being a lethal combination for us in the future if Kane progresses.

Sometimes, not often, i like to pretend what these potential transfers would look like on a rival team like Liverpool or The Arse. At Liverpool Welbeck would be another pacey forward who would fit in like hot chocolate cake and gelato in my belly. Very well. And if he were to be picked up by them it would be a scary thought having to face a front of Welbeck, Sturridge, and Sterling. If he signed with the Arse and became another dingleberry he would add that pace they miss when Walcott isn't fit. So I say that if he would be a good addition to those sides, then there is no reason to think he wouldn't be able to improve our squad.

It's all speculation and we seem like we are not very serious about bring in an offensive threat for some reason and it doesn't quite make sense why they would be looking to offload him anyway as he has an engine and is a capable backup to Van Persie.

11. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Might not be the 20+ striker but this would be a good signing if the price was right, especialy since weve been looking at players that play similar roles such as Remy, Depay and Rodrigues. At 23 he's got experience, pace and strength a hard worker and can score. no brainer.

12. Mattj78

Carlton cole???? I take it there is some tongue in cheek stuff going on here!

13. Gimpster

Gimpster New Member

To be honest I now regret saying that as a joke. He bloody well scored for the first time in like 99 years. I hope he's not read this and is now all fired up to finsh top goal scorer.

And yes my tongue is always in my cheek :)

Sex Drugs and Carlton Cole.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button