Welbeck watch, Origi Spurs snub, VDV loves Holtby, Teesside Ryan

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, August 28, 2014.

Share This Page

1. James McC

James McC Member

Twitter:
    JMcCarthyLIVE
    Tottenham’s interest in bringing in Manchester United’s Danny Welbeck on loan for the season dominates the Lilywhite-related transfer talk this morning as Mauricio Pochettino watched the youngster at MK Dons earlier this week.

Welbeck supposedly wants away from United after being told he is not part of Louis van Gaal’s plans, however a permanent deal looks unlikely leaving a season long loan as the best chance of retaining his services.

The 23-year-old already has 26 England caps and went to the World Cup in Brazil this summer, where he started both games against Italy and Uruguay, but failed to add to his 8 international goals.

Although Pochettino did not comment directly on Welbeck himself, it was clear why the Argentine was at Stadium:MK as Spurs continue the search for a wide left player.

“‘I was there, I watched the United game. It is a good example for us to be ready. We got a good result in Cyprus but we need to be focused.” Poch deflected.

Divock O-nearli
    One player very similar to Welbeck who it has been revealed we narrowly missed out on is now-Liverpool’s Divock Origi.

Rumours at the time suggested that the chase for the Belgian international was a two-horse race between Spurs and last season’s Premier League runners up, but the World Cup surprise package chose a £10million move to Anfield instead.

The 19-year-old himself has claimed how close he was to joining Spurs after crashing out at the quarter-final stage with Belgium:

“I took a lot of time to sign because, suddenly, there were a lot of clubs interested in me," Origi told the Daily Mirror.

"Big Spanish, Italian and German clubs wanted me but my dream was to play in the Premier League. I also went to Tottenham but of the clubs interested, I chose Liverpool.”

Rafa loves Lewis
    And one German club in particular has worked its way into this morning’s headlines due to its interest in Spurs midfielder Lewis Holtby.

Thanks to some strong recommendation from former Spurs hero Rafael van der Vaart, Hamburg have emerged as strong competition for the signature of our German born central midfielder, who has not started a game since pre-season.

Many were surprised to see Holtby among the substitutes for the West Ham opener, especially after such an impressive off-season contributing both goals and assists for the youngster. He started nearly every pre-season game as part of the creative 3 along with Eriksen and Lamela but Aaron Lennon and Nacer Chadli have been preferred so far.

"Holtby would be a great addition. It would be great if that would work,” Van der Vaart is quoted as saying by Bild.

"Lewis is flexible, he has great qualities."

Holtby has scored 3 times in 41 Tottenham appearances in all competitions, and has become a fan favourite at the Lane even after a loan spell with Fulham. However, he 23-year-old may choose to leave in search of first team football if he isn’t finding it at Spurs.

Teesside for Ryan
    Another youngster in search of first team football is flying wideman Ryan Fredericks, who has joined Championship side Middlesbrough on loan for the season.

The 21-year-old has made 4 appearances for Tottenham between loan spells at Brentford and Millwall last season, playing as either a right winger or a right back.

The former England U19 man will return at the end of the season. Good luck Ryan!

2. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I am still not convinced as why we would need Welbeck to be honest and in recent years, Spurs have not been big on loan players.
    The way we played against QPR showed that we have a lot of strength down the left with Rose, lamela and Chadli working the flank brilliantly. Welbeck evidently wants to get out of Old Trafford to play more football, but I just don't see how he would get that at spurs.
    Yes he is strong, but looking at our team, and squad, I really would see this as a strange and unnecessary signing. We shall see.

3. stevethespur Active Member

Always liked Welbeck as a player. Plenty of speed, brave, works his socks off and has a winning mentality that fergie saw in him. Poch wants his team to close down from the front and Welbeck is one of best at it, as i'm sure the stats will prove. Dont like the loan idea either, lets buy the guy. Coys

notnats likes this.
  4. Bav Guest

Still need a peoper striker don't think soldado is good enough so just ADE and Kane need 1 more goal scorer n the league is possible but top 4 more likely if we don't get it this year never will coz need to attract top players n top 4 will always get em first also need a modric type back holtby is the closest we have but not a central figure more of wideman type

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button