Transfer Dudline day. Now let's move on.

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, February 2, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Watching Jim White try to make deadline day exciting gets more embarrassing every year. His attempts to pretend he actually knows anyone in football are a little sad.

Anyway, that aside, the window is now shut. And I'm glad. In my opinion, the window shouldn't even exist in January. There should be one window in the summer and once the season starts, what you have is what you have to play with all season. Maybe a short loan window could exist, but the January window has become another product of Sky rather than having anything to do with football. You know, that sport that became a business only once Murdoch got his paws on it!!!

Spurs have shipped a few out but no striker has arrived. We gave a very strong squad but should Kane get injured, you do have to worry about where the goals will come from. Or do we?

Alli can score goals. Son is capable and with a full run in the squad, who knows just how good he can be? Chadli will get goals as he's shown in the last 2 games. If Lamela learned how to score goals then that would be fantastic.

Spurs have got the best chance in years to win silverware. They are in the title race and going well in the Europa league and FA Cup. Success breeds success and what a chance we have to start that success. To get the glory, glory nights back for a long time.

Not signing a striker is a gamble. A big gamble. If we achieve success this season without that signing, we will have saved millions and be in a stronger position to sign real quality. That is the perfect scenario.

If we win nothing and finish outside the top 4 and not having signed a striker has affected that, then we have the nightmare scenario.

Let's hope it all ends with the sweetest of dreams.

As ever, Come on you Spurs!!!

71yid, Bazza47, Jonesy and 3 others like this.
  2. zinzanzee New Member

Poch has said on a number of occasions something along the lines as; we only want to sign players that will improve the squad....fit into the philosophy we play. From the last window it was obvious we wanted SB he was not available that time nor this. Lets move on, we have a team that plays for each other and has improved as the season has gone on. The thing that really gets me in this year is how many of my mates that support other teams rate us and what we are doing. Trust in the poch and as always COYS.

Mattj78, Ramos43 and Nomadico like this.
  3. Smithy Guest

I do agree with the previous comments that we have an established team and we don't want to spend loads of money on a striker that won't improve our team but what worries me is that although Ali,chadli and song score goals they are not strikers and a lot of their goals come from lanes hard work.I think we could have signed someone who is proven such as Hernandez it wouldn't have broke the bank and given us an option upfront should Kane get injured,let's not forget Kane started off slow this season due to too many games the season before and we're in the fa cup,Europa cup and pushing for top four I just hope he doesn't get injured big gamble.

4. Spaul Guest

Er.... Lamela is our second highest scorer ahead of Chadli and Son

Ramos43 likes this.
  5. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Mattj Is right,we have other player's who can score,Poch has a plan for this team and so far it is working so there is no reason to panic,stay behind the team.;COYS..

Mattj78, Bazza47 and Ramos43 like this.
  6. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Correct but of late he has started to play Rugby, and his shot's are all over the place..

Bazza47 and Jonesy like this.
  7. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

I think if we wanted Berahino it would have gone through. Apparent issues about his lifestyle (alcohol) and mentality to training meant Poch didn't really fancy him anymore. Likens the move to Dani Osvaldo, disturbed the dressing room. Maybe best to be left alone.

Deadline day massively overhyped, I still think we've got a good enough squad to really achieve this year, then really bring in some quality over the summer and anchor our place into the European elite. I think Levy sees 25mill for Berahino now or 35mill for Lacazette in the summer (as an example!) As the argument, and even I know which is the better choice there! This season has made me doubt everyhing i know about football aha.

8. Pikey New Member

Long-term is was a good window for me. We managed to get £70k p/w of Adebayor's wages off our books as well as Townsend and Fazio's combined £60k p/w (bit of a guess here) plus £12.5m and then change for Vejlkovic and Coulthirst. Come the summer that's gonna add up to some significant cash, presumably to then get the back-up striker Poch really wants. Hopefully Pritch gets some game time though i'm not convinced it's the right place for him due to Pulis's style of play but at least we'll see him in the PL.
    Levy had to gamble one way or the other. Either buy a striker who would have to play second fiddle to Kane (so unlikely to get the quality we want) or don't buy anyone and hope Kane stays fit. The 2nd option seems the most sensible one to me.

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  9. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Pochettino KNOWS what he is doing and had he wanted a striker that was available, Levy would have backed him.

At the end of the day, though, Spurs & MP are trying to, not only build a talented squad, but a harmonious one with players who mesh well together on a personal level, as well as share the same/similar professional ambitions.

One of the MANY good things about this team at the minute, is that we have managed to shared the goal-scoring responsibilities around the squad with the likes of Dembele, Carroll, Chadli, Son, Eriksen, Dier, Lamela, Alli, Alderwiereld, Mason, Walker, etc all chipping in at key moments.

What I am saying is, our squad is FULL of goals - and that can only bode well for us as the season moves into the final stages of the campaign.

But we DO have a player in the squad, who, for me, looks like a 'natural' choice to deploy in a striking role and that man is.... Clinton Njie.

Given time, support and a goal to settle him down, and Njie might just prove to be the reason that MP was in no hurry to panic buy this window.

I won't go into all the reasons as to why I'm of this opinion, right now, as I'm in a bit of a rush, but Njie looks to me like a rough diamond, who with a bit of polish (and a higher degree of confidence) could EASILY become a real star at WHL.

Mattj78 and Nomadico like this.
  10. It's not just about who scores. A lone striker is a position that is about more than just scoring. Harry Kane is the only one in our squad who can play this position. Son and Chadli are wingers/wide forwards. NOT centre forwards. Extraordinary burden on Kane now, and it's not fair on him.

Chriscp81 and Felon82 like this.
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Njie, yes yes - get Clinton back. He is an interesting character and could chip in with goals; or, could he be the next Rosenthal! I like his unpredictability and raw pace.

Agree with the majority of comments. In my view, we should have bought another striker in the summer and close season, not the 11th hour. Anyhow we must move on and get 3 points tonight, as a minimum.

Matt, Jim White can go. I would be more than happy to step in and work closely with Kate Abdo et al ladies at SSN HQ :)

COYS!

Mattj78 and Bazza47 like this.
  12. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Actually he did look a bit podgy at the weekend didn't he...not seen him for a while, so he may be too loving of the sauce 'eh......

13. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Wait, what went wrong with Moussa? The lad passed medical at Spurs. That means 3 things a) Poch/Mitchell have selected him; b) presumably fits team chemistry; c) will play backup/rotation to Kane. This is not Berahino as far as cost, so Levy should not be bothered. Why not to loan him back? I guess his value will be much less comes summer, Levy figured it will save him millions he has to shell out now not having player for half a year. Whatever... Just making a point that not everything is done per Poch plan.

The situation with Kane is very delicate and getting more so. You get someone that will start to push Harry and before we know it Kane will be out of the door. There are plenty of takers out there. Not any striker, therefore, will have the required synergy unless... Unless he is NOT out-and -out striker or a very young one , years from getting under Harry's skin. Moussa Dembele was such a striker.

Bazza47, Nomadico and Mattj78 like this.
  14. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

You make a valid point spurporter. It did seem a bit odd the Dembele deal. As you say, it reportedly fell down on the basis that we did not want to loan the player back but I just don't see how that would have been a reason, considering we then did not sign anyone anyway!
    From what I have seen of him, he looks strong and has bags of potential but maybe N;Jie has that too? I'm not convinced by Clinton but he hasn't really had a run yet to make a full evaluation. When he has played he has been like a headless chicken but that maybe nerves or the fact he is trying too hard to make an impression in his new surroundings.
    The price for Dembele the 2nd seemed reasonable so it does seem a mystery as to why this fell through at the final hurdle.
    At least it makes a change from players passing Spurs medicals and then signing for the Arse or the Plastic Russian Brigade!!

Nomadico likes this.
  15. Chriscp81 New Member

why do you think we will sign any one in the summer? We didn't the last time we qualified for champs league. Plus that is unlikely now. Our squad is not great and relies on certain players ever week. Kane scores the majority of our goals but his game is so much more then that. Spurs are no better then we have Been at this stage many times over the years and our squad can never cope. Levy only cares about money! If we achieve something this year it will be down to the first 11 /12 players and a lot of luck.
    A striker was the bare minimum we needed. We have no pace and skill in the the team, no one who can beat a man.
    Nice work again by Levy!! Every year his lack of ambition costs the manager his job

16. Big fran Guest

Oh come on fellas pls pls pls let's not pretend we know anything more about njie than we do before we signed him. We can all play that nonsense card. To not sign a striker in the summer was an abject failure and is more so this window. Its a massive risk and the proof will be in the pudding. Undoubtedly we wanted a striker given how far the dembele deal went so to say if MP wanted a forward for want of a better word is b##!!£ks

notnats likes this.
  17. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Unless the table lies we are ABOVE that shite up the road COYS....

18. guesty Guest

Watford next....on the same day Man C play Leicester.
    we win our game and its tight at the top.

COYS!

19. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Pochettino has proved tonight why he is manager and we aren't. We have goals everywhere in the team, with Kane largely banging them away - but someone like Son or Chadli wouldn't be the end if the world!

We're gonna win the league with our first team, EL with our reserves, and the FA Cup with our u21s. Pochettino will then proceed to play just himself in the charity shield against Leicester, and win, thanks to 6 miraculous overhead kicks with his 30 metre long *****, whilst his beard grows hands and stops Vardy's absurd scoring record.

Nomadico, Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Above Le Scum on GD who'd of thunk it?

COYS!!!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button