Tottenham Hotspur: America's team? It could be, if Levy sticks to what he does best

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by JACK TAGG, June 9, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Listen guys, I am NO great fan of Dawson, and anyone who has followed my post on this, and other forums would be able tell you that, but I just feel that the Englishman at his best (which is an EXTREMELY important part of my argument) is still more than capable of contributing to the teams success, as he has proved in the past.

Dawson was OUTSTANDING against the likes of Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge when Spurs played Liverpool at Anfield a couple of seasons ago (in a 3-2 defeat I still find difficult to believe was real) proving when he is sharp (of mind), and has the protection he (and the rest of the defence) so BADLY missed last season, the CB is still a VERY good defender.

John Terry isn't particularly mobile by any means, and when he is left facing a striker with pace/quick feet, WITHOUT the adequate support around him, he can struggle too.

Listen, I'm NOT saying Dawson is as good as Terry, but they are similar types of players, and therefore will require similar types of players around them in order to compliment their abilities. I actually believe Dawson is a better DEFENDER (not player) than Vertonghen which doesn't mean the club should keep him, but it is something worth thinking about.

As for Younes, I think it is a little unfair to form any REAL judgement on his performances towards the back end of last season considering how long the Frenchman had been absent for, prior to his return.

Add to that the COMPLETE mess the TEAM was, in from a collective (defensive) standpoint, and Kaboul probably wished he had stayed on the treatment table until Pochettino arrived!!!

Personally, I think it would be wise to give the commanding CB the benefit of any doubt, at least waiting to see how he fares after having the benefit of a full pre-season before deciding how good the Frenchman can be in the future.

Let's not forget that the run of consecutive games Kaboul played towards the end of last season was probably his first time in 18-24 months he has managed to string a run of games together.

People keep saying that Spurs 'need' to buy a CB, but our defensive was one of the best in the EPL until we played Man City at the Etihad.

A LOT of the goals we conceded last year were down to mental NOT technical errors (i.e glaring individual errors/concentration, and crumbling in the face of adversity) which tells me something about the mind of the players approaching the games. This is something Pochettino WILL be able to help with, as a charismatic, confident and cultured man-manager.

I can ASSURE you that IF Spurs do buy a CB (assuming they renew Younes contract) it WON'T be the top-class player you all seem to think the club needs. It will either be a kid with promise, or a (relatively) unknown quantity with potential.

Why? Because, the truth is, we already have 4 very capable defenders and what the team REALLY needs, from a defensive perceptive, is ORGANISATION, DISCIPLINE and BALANCE.

Last edited: June 14, 2014

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button