The final insult to the fans

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, September 2, 2015.

Share This Page

1. P to the O Guest

Mauricio Poch has committed suicide by agreeing to this joint statement. Levy hammered George Graham for not singing the same hymn. Levy has performed poorly and should acknowledge it as it isn't a coincidence spurs fans feel let down. Instead end of October when it's all going wrong... All teams now will prepare for our 1 only one up front tactic.

Felon82 likes this.
  2. Poch's days are numbered if we do not win games, so far LDDD. Worst start in 7 years!

However our league fixtures up to end Oct include:
    - 13 /09 Sunderland (A)
    - 20/09 Crystal Palace (H)
    - 26/09 Man City (H)
    - 04/10 Swansea (A)
    -17/10 Liverpool (H)
    -25/10 Bournemouth (A)

The old footy saying is 'win your home games to stay up, win your away games to determine where you finish in the league.' We must start winning games, we need to avoid the worst start in X years statistic getting any worse!!!

Poch needs to introduce width, get the team to take risks at appropriate times by attacking in numbers - not to much sideways and backwards passing movement as at present. He must encourage faster movement and one touch passing. But I suspect he is not really up to this, and runs the risk of being sacked around mid Oct!

Felon82 and Mattj78 like this.
  3. Dublinspur Guest

Well you wont be slated by me. Levy is far from perfect, but there are some on here who seem to think that he is like a cancer. Before him we had Sugar where we seemed to strive to be mediocre. But he wasn't all bad. The fact that he saved us from Maxwell earns him a lot of credit from me. And Maxwell only got his picture in the frame because Scholar almost busted us. Say what you will about Levy, but he has been our best chairman since the Beerman/Wale family sold up.

4. burnt Guest

This discussion ( argument ) pops up once or twice a season around here Dublin , I've yet to see anyone change their opinion .... Are you into the GAA Dublin , any hurling tickets floating around the Big Smoke ..

5. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

They were firing as you rightly say but did anyone truly think Lamela was worth 30 million pounds? He became our most expensive player ever. I'm not sure that showed good sense?

6. Dublinspur Guest

In all fairness, we could have won all four of those opening games. What cheers me up is that apart from Man C, who I think will run away with the title this year, the rest of the "big 6" have played like winning is an affliction to be ashamed of.

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I have said before that levy has done some good. I'm not completely blind although I appreciate it will appear that way at times. My point is and always has been that after 14 years we have started to tread water. Now I know that some of the issue is because of the new stadium but if we are not in a position to offer champions league football what happens then. Firstly our increased revenue should give us better spending power. But, it will take time for that extra income to become disposable. And in that time the top four will potentially have increased revenue through trophy wins and consistent champions league football. So We could still be as far behind as we are now and then we end up with a half full stadium.
    Just opening a new stadium will not guarantee that we suddenly compete on a more level footing.

8. Thomas Guest

I fully agree that this is a pointless article written by someone who has never run a business as a owner or in a management capacity.

Firstly, the idea that the manager should criticize the CEO publicly or otherwise be labelled a puppet is absurd. What you suggest MP should do amounts to insubordination. If you can appreciate a unity among the players, don't you need unity in the management team as well? If MP were to come out and criticize Levy, won't others be laughing at us that we are a joke?

Secondly, most fans are unhappy with the transfer dealings and thought that their teams are not buying enough, not just Spurs. I remember an online poll where only Liverpool and one or two other clubs ended up with more fans being happy than unhappy with the transfer dealings. That unfortunately is the psychology of the fans who thinks that the owners are keeping their pockets shut and not investing enough. If you look at the amount we have spent, approximately 50 m, we rank 5th or 6th in the list. That is proportionate to our revenue. If the deal on Berahino and Wanyama had gone through, it would have brought us to almost 90 m. Would you call that tightening the purse strings?

Thirdly, Levy does not have full authority. He has whatever authority delegated to him by the board of directors which represent shareholders. To think that he should run THFC as a football club with the utmost fanatical passion without regards to profitability is naive. Will you put serious money in a business that don't provide attractive returns for the sake of your hobby? Fans compare the ticket prices and what they get in return but they ask the shareholders to ignore financial returns and be fanatical about football.

Fourthly, the real world is a lot more complicated that simplistic views presented in amateur blogs. When something don't materialize, fans criticize for the failure to plan or have alternative plans when sometimes, executing your plans is the problem because you don't have full control in the real world. CEOs, however much they are paid have constraints that they have no control over. When you try to bring in your top target and fail to do so, you are criticized for not having a plan B. When you execute your plan B, you are criticized for buying cheap and not sticking to the player you want. Even Man U which is much bigger than us has problems attracting players they want, not just us.

While I am disappointed that we failed to bring in a out and out striker, the viewpoints of some of the fans disturbed me.

The Cockerel and Spurporter like this.
  9. Dublinspur Guest

I am not saying that it showed good sense, but I think if his performances here matched his Roma games, I don't think too many would complain.

You are aware of course that being S.Anerican, there is a complex third party ownership issue surrounding this player? Apparently Levy failed to do his usual due diligence and didn't realise that the 30 mill paid did not include his brain.

Mattj78 likes this.
  10. burnt Guest

Not sure he cost 30 Matt , a lot of theese deals are structured and dependent on the player or club reaching certain targets before full amount is paid but whatever it was , was substancial and in hindsight was way too much ..

11. P to the O Guest

I did not suggest Poch critise anyone in public. The wisedom of a joint statement with Levy will come to fruition at Poch's expense. Lose 3 games on the trot from now and with Baldini gone... The media vultures are already circulating. Certainly we lose against the scum on the 22nd or 23 September Levy will be chilling with ENIC in Bahamas while poor Poch...

12. Dublinspur Guest

I wouldn't have been so harsh on the OP. I think he is a genuinely sincere bloke who has opinions that do not always match mine, but at least he respects them. But other than that, I think your view of most fans is similar to mine.

Most fans are appalled that someone should make a profit out of their hobby, but I have never heard any of them complain that the pub landlord should reduce his profits so that they can have cheaper beer. Having said that, there is a good case that tickets are far too expensive. The real problem is that the clubs have a tiger by the tail with regard to wages, and as fast as new money comes into the game, the players **** it into their own pockets. The average PL player now earns more in month, than Greaves earned throughout his career as a player.

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. Mickdale Guest

i think he hit the nail on the head actually, oh and real language for real people ;-)

14. Thomas Guest

I see Levy being slammed for justifying himself. Its funny to think that if you have been wronged, you should keep your mouth shut if you are doing the right thing. Is there an implication that since he tried to justify himself, he has done something wrong. Why are there so many blogs and comments when the right thing to do is to keep our opinions to ourselves? Don't we teach our kids to stand up for their rights? But now we are saying that an adult who has to defend not just himself but the dignity of the club should shut up if he feels that he has done right. I think this approach is only appropriate for a personal but not a public offence. Levy would be irresponsible if he did not come out publicly to offer his side of the story. Another biased comment that stems from a need to bash Levy, ENIC, etc. Is it that fun and does that improve your enjoyment of football?

15. P to the O Guest

Well as the head of the organisation release the statement solo. It's like Bill Clinton and Monica releasing a joint statement. It would only benefit Bill

16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

After that absolute debaucle yesterday and Levys antics how anyone can support or defend this clown is beyond me.
    We were the negative talk of football all day, Spurs are truelly tainted in the transfer market with the Charlatan and his ego in charge.
    Dont expect anyone being overly keen on doing buisness with Spurs in future, except for when Lloris etc want out.

Mattj78 likes this.
  17. Dublinspur Guest

Before matters get out of hand, my post was in support of "old timer" and his views, and nor meant to reflect on you.

But we've had the conversation about the new stadium before. I think you might also have seen my comment that if Mansour had not arrived, we would have had 5 out of the past 6 seasons in the CL. The point I made then and make again now, is that the extra revenues will not hurt. You only have to look at the fact that the richer a club is, the more likely they are to be successful. However, in the same way that Mansour suddenly enriching City was a downer for us, I have recently been thinking about the possible implications that Wet Sham getting the OS might have for us. The more I think about this, the more I can understand you repeatimg the question.

Mattj78 likes this.
  18. Thomas Guest

Frankly, I don't think I am as harsh as some of the viewpoints presented concerning Levy, ENIC, club or players. I seriously believe that before you try to bash the club you support, it's good to get some facts, data and perspective and justify the comments you make. It's good to distinguish being fans of the club and being mere critics.

19. Dublinspur Guest

I live in Dublin, but I am originally from Dalston, and my knowledge of GAA is limited to knowing where Croke Park is. Apologies.

20. Dublinspur Guest

My comment about being harsh only related to the OP. And again, I agree with most of what you say. The comments surrounding Levy's "failure to pay the extra for Berahino", tells me that we are either dealing with idiots or people who have become so obsessed with hating Levy that they have totally abandoned critical thinking. That being the case, facts, data and perspective will not change them.

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button