Sunderland 0-1 Tottenham post-match thoughts

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Ramos43, September 14, 2015.

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Townsend did the simple things well. When he does that he is a very good player.

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Right side of front 3, beat the full back a couple of times widening the points of attack at pace something that creates space and pulls defences about (historically tried n tested that works n is not rocket science) He wasn't sending wild shots into orbit either which was refreshing.

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. big fran Guest

Lamela wide left then? I actually think Andros could make a top class left winger with the correct instruction and directive to hug the touchline get to the bye line and whip crosses in for an old fashioned
    No 9.

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

He got last his man and crossed!!! I still don't get inverted wingers.

Felon82 likes this.
  5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Your still in the last century, Matt. Crossing has became an ineffective football, my friend, ever since football schools started teaching defenders how proper mark the attacker to take advantage in the air. Keep in mind that EPL is the only league where referees look elsewhere when defender grabs attacker's shirt. Also goalkeepers are more involved in interceptions than, say, 20 years ago when ball thrown in the box was anyone's to win. All and all crossing became equal to turning ball over or to bringing an attack to the end via clearance.

6. Thomas Guest

How do the other Top 6 teams play? Do they all use this modern effective inverted striker system. Looking at the stats last season. Spurs were the only team in the Top 6 that took more shots outside than inside the penalty area. Is using inverted strikers to cut inside and take shots more effective than delivering crosses (air or ground) into the penalty area where statistically it results in better goal scoring opportunities?

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  7. Thomas Guest

Not to mention that the most attractive football Spurs played in recent times is when Bale is on the left and Lennon is on the right.

Mattj78 and Felon82 like this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

There are soooo many goals scored via crosses every week in every division including the EPL.
    Plenty of ' modern day managers' are often guilty of trying to be too clever and fall on their own sword complicating what if played properly is a simple game.
    It is far easier to create space in the danger area by spreading the play wide as it forces defences to open up instead of congesting the centre of the park its basic principles.
    This does not mean it has to be 442 or the only way to attack but it is definately effective and to say its not is totally blinkered.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

On the right .....will Poch ever play him left side....probably not, which is not the best place for him for me. Playing him in front of Rose would provide much more balance and would allow Eriksen to have a free no. 10 role.

Felon82 likes this.
  10. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Personally would love to see uninverted wingers in the EL. Just try a different system, experiment. Thrash Qarabag, and go into Palace in full confidence.

11. guesty Guest

for a moment there I thought Thrash Qarabag was their name!

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Mattj78

The majority of Uniteds titles were due to fast wingers getting wide and playing in quality crosses, often low across the back of the defence so Spurporter it is not me living on the last century my friend.

In fact, look at Vardys goal for Leicester against dim tims team. Wide play, ball played in across the back four curving behind defenders leading to a tap in.

Felon82 likes this.
  13. burnt Guest

6 games in two and a half weeks from Thursday will give everyone a better idea of where we are and how the squad is shaping up in terms of who will be playing in the diff competitions and to a degree what are our priorities .. Everyone in the squad thats fit should get plenty of chances to get up to speed and make a name for themselves moving forward into the season proper .. Will be interesting to see how it pans out ... Looking forward to it .. C.O.Y.S ...

14. Mattj78

It will be very interesting to see what team Poch puts out on Thursday. I imagine it will be a fairly fresh team and one to allow the youngsters put down a marker for a regular first team place.
    I am really disappointed we allowed Yedlin out on loan as I think thus would have been the perfect occasion to see him in action.
    I would expect to see Trippier, Vorm, Townsend, Pritchard, N'Jie if fit, Wimmer and Son all featuring.

Felon82 likes this.
  15. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

Inverted wingers are seen as a more offensive tactic which in theory, should:

• Create more shooting opportunities.
    • Offer more support to the frontman with the widemen more inclined cut in and link up with the central strikers/ attackers as opposed to hug the touchline.
    • Provide MORE of a presence/ threat in and around the opposing penalty area, allowing the fullbacks to offer the width.
    • Help unsettle/ occupy the opposition with the additional movement/ bodies in central areas.

In truth, I believe the idea is more suited to quick, counter-attacking teams, OR sides who possess a high-level of technical ability, are comfortable making short- sharp interchanges, 3rd man runs and have players with good vision/ awareness.i.e. Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, etc

That's the kind of style Pochettino wants to imprint upon he's young Spurs squad, and it's also the kind of style I like...PROVIDING we have the kind of athletic, quick and technically adept fullbacks (on the pitch) it takes to effectively pull it off.

Using that particular concept, it is IMPERATIVE that you have the kind of fullbacks who can CONSISTENTLY motor up and down the touchline, at will, to compensate for the lack of width in forward areas.

Therefore, like I said, athletic, fast, adventurous fullbacks are a must!

Listen, it's no coincidence that ALL the teams I have mentioned, who use this tactic, have the type of fullbacks I'm alluding to.

Madrid- Marcelo & Carvahal

Bayern- Bernat & Lahm

Barca - Alba and Alves

It also helps when you have inverted wingers with EXCEPTIONAL balance, who are capable of going outside or inside their opposing fullback (i.e. Chadli, Townsend, Mahrez, to name a few) otherwise it can become slightly predictable and allow the opposing manager to simply thicken up the centre of the park to counter the threat

Taking that into account, the PROBLEM with inverted wingers come when you have a winger who FREQUENTLY wants to come inside (like Lamela) and behind him you play a fullback who doesn't possess the athleticism/ pace/ technical ability required to effectively support the attack ( like Dier).

Now, to be fair, Spurs DO have the type of fullbacks perfectly suited to this tactic in Rose and Walker, but we really ought to see them both used more as a pair if we are to reach our full potential deploying that system.

On to Townsend though, and anyone who's read my post over the last 2/3 years will know I am a MASSIVE fan of his. As far as 'natural' ability and characteristics go, I have long believed he is the best player to come out of the Spurs academy since Ledley King.

Lightning quick, fearless, self-confident, two-footed, great balance, excellent dribbler, the list goes on... But the one area that he REALLY must develop if he is to go on to become the player I believe he can be is his movement OFF the ball.

Now movement lends itself to the mental side of a players attributes. The more intelligent, clever, shrewd, aware, or quick-thinking/ adaptable a player is, the more effective his in game movements will be.

And for all of his technical/ physical gifts, it's mentally where Andros falls short. Now like I said this is NOT a question of bottle, as Townsends got enough bottle to get him through an apocalyptic disasters spanning 3 years, no problem. He proved that only last year when he practically drove England to the European qualifiers and cooly dispatched his penalty against one of the best keepers in the world to send Spurs 3-1 just before halftime when we demolished Chelsea at The Lane.

It's more in reference to his in-game intelligence and ability to keep evolving his game.

We all know how Andros likes to play (well, at least I do ;)) come short, ball into feet, occasionally spinning his defender to look for a pass into space by 9/10 he likes to beat his man.

Nothing wrong with that! But with a guy who is blessed with speed and technical gifts could REALLY be doing so much more ( as i have stressed to him on twitter, don't you worry!).

As things stand, Andros ONLY scores spectacular goals as his movements dictates the areas of the pitch he finds himself in to have an attempt on goal.But someone with pace like his SHOULD really be trying to threaten in behind more as that is where he can cause even more damage.

The point I'm making is Andros needs to add more facets to his game, in order to keep developing as player.

I mean how many times do we see Andros going through one-on- one with the GK or even in a position to strike on goal, inside the PA, without being faced by a number of opponents???

That is all down to his movement WITHOUT the ball and his ability to sniff an opportunity. In that regard he would do well to analyze fellow England players Walcott and Sterling as both players are more intelligent with their movements.

Simple things like drifting infield when the ball looks like it is going to be played inside from the opposite flank, before making a darting run between CBs or CB/FB would make a world of difference to Andros' perceived threat.

To be honest theres PLENTY of little moves could suggest to get Townsend into more threatening positions but ultimately it's about him learning to use the people around him (.i.e.Kane, Eriksen, Chadli, who can all pick/spot a pass), reading where the ball is going to go and timing his movements so not raise suspicions, which will ultimately give him the advantage over the defender.

It's all about making him a more effective, productive and complete player.

It's NOT only about him making runs in behind, but also picking the ball up in pockets of space where he can thread a ball through to a team-mate OR give himself time to find his balance before making FULL use of his excellent shooting ability from distance.

EXTREMELY talented player though who if willing to learn and take on board instruction can become ANYTHING he wants.

Mattj78 likes this.
  16. Mattj78

The probes I have, and have always had with inverted wingers is simple. ( much like my good self just before anyone else dives in with that obvious comeback!! )
    You beat your man on the outside giving you a chance to cross with defenders more than likely facing the goal.
    The inverted winger cuts back and often pauses. At this point the defence is then goal side and in a position to attack the ball leaving the attacking side with more work to do than necessary.
    I just think using inverted wingers is making the game more complicated than it needs to be.

Ramos43 likes this.
  17. Thomas Guest

I don't think it's not the style of play, tiki-taka or wing play that is important. The essence of counter-attacking football is speed. Whether the winger cuts in and shoot or crosses to the striker depends on the options in that particular situation.

I believe the quality of the wingers is more important. If they function as wide men, they have to be able to deliver quality crosses into the box. If they function as inverted wingers, they need to have the ability to shoot from the edge of the box or deliver a through pass to find the striker. Our wingers are not creating sufficient chances for Kane and very often we see him drop back to pick up the ball and shoot from outside the penalty box in front of a packed defense.

The full backs apart from being able to bomb up and down the field and provide width to stretch the defense need to take on the role of wide men and deliver quality crosses to create opportunities for the striker and wingers who are in the box. Walker is not very good at this either.

Most of the time the striker and wingers are restricted to shooting from outside the box which statistically results in lower conversion rates.

18. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Good Evening Ramos.
    Very eloquent as ever but the simple fact is that playing Townsend on the right panders to his very instincts, which is to get onto his favourite foot to shoot on goal. On the left he can use his pace and skill on his left foot, yet still have a good right foot if he needs to come in side.
    I'm a firm believer in getting balance in the side, any side, so having three or four good left footed players is a must, playing on their natural side...Rose, Verts, Townsend give us a good start, Dembele at times.
    If you moved any of those three to play on the right, as capable as they are, in sub optimises their skill.
    The sooner Poch balances the side the better - our results will quite simply improve.
    COYS

Ramos43 and Mattj78 like this.
  19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Now everything you say here is spot on Ramos my old china, but i am interested to know your thoughts on this-

Is it poor team selection that causes this system to look very flat a lot of the time then?

Or

Is it player recruitment not good enough for the desired philosophy?

As i agree with your explanation of the system but cant personally understand why Poch who has this vision of a philosophy but then puts players in positions that dont support the theory over and over.

Ramos43 likes this.

20. Poch following an inverted wingers policy will only leads to him being sacked, and rightly so!!! We need a team that can play with some width when appropriate. Not only that but we need to speed up the pace of our play, as well as movement and support, as well as take a few risks committing men forward from time to time score goals. None of this are we currently doing, hence the lack of goals!!! Wise up!!!

Bazza47 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button