Strength in depth could be vital

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, January 5, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Firstly, what an amazing performance from the Spurs fans tonight. The Spurs faithful turned up in swarms and put Burnley to shame.
    On the pitch, it was a pretty dull affair which maybe meant the Burnley fans who stayed away had a good idea what was coming tonight.

Firing squad

The last thing we wanted tonight was to end up with a replay, but a replay it is and that could put huge pressure on the Tottenham squad. We have had a great holiday period and been on a good run and I believe that it is no coincidence that this has coincided with no Europa league allowing us to solely concentrate on the premier league.
    As we now enter the final stretch of the season, we are still firing on all fronts and whilst that is excellent and breeds optimism, it may also bring with it a few dilemmas for Pochettino.

Cup of expectations

Nabil Bentaleb divided opinion last season, but in recent weeks he has cemented his place in the side and put in some sterling performances. We now lose him to the African cup of nations and with Mason still carrying an injury, we could be looking at a midfield pairing of Paulinho And Dembele. Both are talented players but have both failed to fulfil their potential at the lane, but if ever we need them to step up to the plate, the time is now.

Transfer window of opportunity?

Pochettino made it very clear that he doesn't see much need for strengthening in the January window, but with so many games coming up, which by the way is positive as it means we are doing well, we are going to need quality in all areas and I don't feel comfortable that we have that quality as a back up.

Tonight showed that. Chadli was lively and got a good goal, kane made a difference when he came on, but the back up players look low on confidence and form. Soldado was awful. He made some decent runs but how many times have we all said that? He just isn't going to do it at Spurs and it puts a lot of responsibility on young Harry's shoulders. If kane was to get injured, I would be very concerned. Where will the goals come from?
    Paulinho is not great and is just biding time until some club comes and takes him off our hands.

I have faith in Pochettino and it is clear that his ideas are taking shape now, but if you want success, you have to play more and more games and you need the squad to do that. Liverpool are finding out this season that more games puts real pressure on a squad lacking in quality in depth, and Spurs must take note and use this window, to make sure that come May, silverware is again in the cabinet where it belongs, at White Hart Lane.

As ever, come on you Spurs!!

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

There will be no purchases of any note in this window.
    We will not be winning any trophies either.
    Predictably we follow up a great result with a whimper.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button