Reasons to be cheerful: Part 1

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, August 5, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

The friendly season is over and in 8 days time we start a new season at Everton. A tricky first game but I have to say that I am going into this season very optimistic.

I don't think we should ever take too much from friendlies, but they do give an indication of how players are blending and how fit they are. Against Inter Milan today, Spurs started the game as if it was the Premier league. It was fast, athletic and after only 5 minutes we were on front thanks to a Harry Kane penalty. It was good to see that Harry has remembered how you kick a football after his strange showing in the Euro's!

Inter equalised but it was the second half performance that really impressed me. Firstly, Jansen looks like a great signing, powerful and his hold up play is very good. I don't want to see him be a sub, I would relish seeing him playing alongside Kane.
    The Inter defence simply couldn't knock him off the ball and yet again, Poch has secured a player who looks able to make a difference.

I have seen numerous posts from Spurs fans over the summer moaning about our transfer business. Now usually I would be one of those fans. But I'm actually very pleased. Jansen in early looks very good business and I'm delighted to see so many youngsters playing well in pre season.
    Poch will persevere with youth rather than millions and based on last season, I have no problem with that at all.

Even if only one of them comes through, that's brilliant for the team, for the squad and for the future of this football club.
    I understand that we dropped off at the end of last season and that youth was blamed by some for that. However, this young squad, brimming with talent and confidence will have learned from the experience and be better for it. They won't be looking back at last season as a failure and nor should any Spurs fan.

It would be very easy to say that we must finish first this time out and I genuinely believe we will be in the title race again. Finishing in the top three would show we have become consistent and would be another strong result. Another stride forward.

You only have to look at Poch and his recent comments about our final day defeat at Newcastle. He has been angry all summer about it! Poch cares. He has no agent and has shown that he is fully committed to making Spurs the team and club it should be.

We may have some rocky times but I see Poch as the man to stay for at least 10 years and in that time I genuinely believe that I will see something I never thought I would in my lifetime. And that is Tottenham Hotspur as champions of England. And I believe it will be on more than one occasion.

We have for years been frustrated by the word, transition, but I don't believe we need to fear that anymore. Poch is building a team to be consistent and to be consistently successful. Maybe it will be this year, maybe not, but for the first time in many years, I am confident that Spurs have the right man, the right players and the right ethos to bring Glory back where it belongs.

As ever, Come on You Spurs!!!

Nomadico and Deggsy56 like this.
  2. josh_b

josh_b Active Member

Back on here, totally agree. Have to take it as preseason but you ever win 6-1 and be disappointed.

A few thoughts:

Lamela different class. The boy will make this season his own.

Eriksen influential as we know he can be. Good to see.

Kane.and Alli getting confidence back after a shitshower of a euros.

Janssen looks a great singing.

Wanyama needs to spend less time eating spaghetti and more time getting his travel visas in order

Mattj78 likes this.
  3. Feri Guest

My wife tell anybody that I am the most uptomestic person on planet earth. I am going to recommend her to read this article. I am sure this will change her mind.
    I don't think that in my life we are going to be the champion in premier leage, but there is a good news here. I am 75 , recovering from cancer and strike by stroke. So my life span is not that great and you could be hopeful

4. Big fran Guest

Although only signed two players thus far I feel its been quite a successful window of around 7/10..
    Two key areas have been strengthened or three if u conclude the wanyama deal also allows dier to cover right centre half as I believe. I still feel one or two additional attacking MIDs/wingers will be added from the sales of Pritchard bentaleb chadli fazio njie . The talent of Vickers winks Harrison Edwards could potentially save the club millions..

Nomadico likes this.
  5. Nomadico Well-Known Member

Very sad to see Pritchard slagging the club,he had his chances with us and again with WBA and he failed, so move on..Glad to see the lads do so well against Milan,the kids really show promise and with Wanyama still to come in it looks good for the season..COYS..

Mattj78 likes this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button