Quest for the first signing - surprise for Pochettino

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, January 6, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Josh Bolton

Josh Bolton Active Member

Twitter:
    JMRBolton3
    It seems that, not for the first time, a football club and the press are in disagreement once again. Yesterday, Greg Stobart (@gstobart) tweeted the words of a Spurs spokesman, who said: "There is no substance to the Sun's story - its mischief making. We have talented players so we have to expect this sort of thing".

This was the club’s response to The Sun’s back page headline titled ‘Hugo and leave us’, writing that we’d be willing to sell our keeper for any fee above £25m. And today, it seems that words between club and press contradict again, as one say ‘buy’ and the other, well – ‘no buy’.

What the papers say

Adrien Rabiot’s name hasn’t left the tabloids since the opening of the winter window. And the Frenchman has been constantly linked with a six-month loan deal with ourselves. We reported on Saturday that Rabiot is likely to be our first signing, and Sporting Witness believe that Spurs are set to complete the loan deal, after rivals Arsenal have pulled out of the running.

Arsenal were only interested in taking Rabiot on a permanent deal, where PSG only want him to leave on loan – a deal that would give Spurs cover for Nabil Bentaleb, without hindering the Algerian’s game time and development in the long run.

Contract expiring? Let Levy loose!

Another possible replacement for Nabil Bentaleb, is Aston Villa’s midfielder Fabian Delph. The midlands-based midfielder is out of contract in the summer, so is expected to be available for a cut-price this January, a fee rumoured to be around £3m.

John Cross of The Mirror also believes Spurs would be willing to offer any of the players Pochettino deems to be surplus to requirements, if Villa wish to play hard ball. The players who Cross believes Spurs are willing to listen to offers to are; Aaron Lennon, Andros Townsend, Moussa Dembele, Emmanuel Adebayor, Paulinho and Kyle Naughton.

What Poch says

During the Christmas period we also reported that Pochettino was not looking to sign any players for the sake of buying, but instead, only entering the market for the right player. As always with every window, we are linked with player after player. So where does Pochettino disagree with the press regarding incomings?

The Spurs Head Coach is adamant that no deal will be completed before our game against Crystal Palace, contrasting reports regarding that a deal is done for Adrien Rabiot. Instead, Pochettino told the press: “You surprise me [regarding questions about new signings before Saturday]. No I don’t believe there will be.”

Pochettino’s comments were also backed up by Sky Sport’s journalist Lyall Thomas (@LyallThomas), who tweeted: “Spurs are not close to signing anyone. Few possibilities, but club aren’t desperate to do business. January is chaotic.

2. big fran Guest

Be a snip at 3m Delph and would rather him than a stop gap loan signing as I don't see the point. Only PSG benefit from the move. If he flops they flog him if he does well its thank u spurs but we'll have him bk now! And were bk to square 1. Winston Reid could be another good shout as his contract is up and the spammers will maybe as with delph rather take a few quid now! Can play either side centre half or Rbk.
    Kaboul to besiktas maybe in part exchange for demba Ba. !!! Lennon and or naughton make weights for berahino!!

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Delph would be a good signing and as I said in my recent blog, Spurs need to develop a squad that has quality we can rely on in each and every position. As for berahinho, I can't see that one happening. Maybe if we sell Soldado then it could happen, but I expect him to end up elsewhere and I don't think we will be missing out too much.
    We need a striker now that will complement kane, not replace him, so I am not sure berahinho would be the answer and he is also a liability off the field as his arrest today has yet again proven.
    We have players to come in but I simply don't trust the back up. Paulinho is just not bothered. Adebayor is still sorting out his voodoo curse and Soldado has had so many chances that even a cat would be jealous of his lives!!
    Kaboul has gone from captain to reserve team player and Townsend needs to move on and play at level where he can excel. Like the championship.
    What we must not do is sell the likes of Lloris as that would send out the wrong message but in things like this I never trust levy as his main interest is the lining of his pockets before the football team.

We will be linked with every Tom, dick, Harry and Carlos kick a ball, but we need to sell before we buy and when we buy, it needs to be with the choosing of Pochettino, not Baldini who I am still bemused as to why he has a job at the lane.

Felon82 likes this.
  4. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Exactly, we need to sell before we buy and as we all know Levy dosn't give them away. Moving on the likes of Ade, Soldado and Paulinho wont happen in January, maybe a few loan deals but the only ones that look viable are players like Naughton, maybe Holtby who id like to see return but that probably wont happen. Poch was brought in to do something with this squad and get the best out of them and then possibly assess them at end of season. I think we are stuck with Ade and Soldado till the end of season.

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Delph and Reid are definately 2 players we could afford and make sense, the only other purchase id like to see is Benteke/Bony (if Citeh havent got him).
    But as i will have to say again- we will not be signing anyone of any note in this window, simply because of Ming and when we fall short and are asking why he again will be the answer.

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Bony going to city is a shame as I would have liked him at Spurs but all it proves is that contracts in football are totally pointless and mean nothing. He signed a new contract two months ago "committing" his future to Swansea. That worked then!!

7. big fran Guest

As u say lads will defo need to sell the big earners ie soldado paulinho Ade before we sign any one of major significance and I can't see it either. That's y I think player plus cash deals could be to our advantage with a lot of interest in our fringe players of lennon naughton Townsend. Think Levy would be better realizing he will have to take a big hit on paulinho now rather than later he was simply awful at turf moor Monday night one of the worst I have seen in the flesh so to speak for a player of over 15m. I felt
    a little sorry for soldado on the other hand he looked interested and tried but just looked to really struggle playing the lone role. Once Kane came on it gave the team a huge lift but also Robby really started to get involved and looked good. Of course we scored then he got took off instantly u could see his confidence drop in his body language as he trudged off! Thought this change allowed Burnley in the game also and further destroyed the Spaniards confidence. A bad move by Poch who never once left his dugout. It was cold tho!!!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button