Poor Spurs embarrassed at the Lane

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Mattj78, December 13, 2015.

1. I agree with lots of the comments above, but mostly there was no plan B..... Once Newcastle started to drive forward in the 2nd half, there was nothing from the bench to counter it - very disappointing....

2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I am terribly disappointed.
    But let's not going to extremes here. We were the better team all game. We dominated in 1st half and were on par or better in the second. Two goalkeeper errors gave the win to opponent. Both goals are on Lloris. On first he had no usual control of 6 yard box, tumbled down with little reason and was out after that. Second.. I do not want even talk about it...
    As far as plan B is concerned, once you failed to kill the game, it is very hard to have any other plan. Especially it is so when time is running out and Monaco fatigue is creeping in.

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Your joking right?

Not sure what game you were watching we were flat and very poor 2nd half, only 1 team looked like getting the points and thats exactly what they did.

4. burnt Guest

Bad day all round for sure but it happens to everyone and to be fair it should be expected to happen even more to a young inexperienced side like ours then it has done so far .. It's early days for this project as a whole and if a youth development project is what we're going to continue to be , then there's going to be plenty of ups and downs along the way .. Ultimately nobody knows how it's going to turn out , it's been hughly promiseing up to a point but there's plenty of work to be done , still plenty of flaws in the team but hopefully it will develop the right way over time .. I'm not convinced either way at the moment but as always we live in hope .....

5. Lee2 Guest

I think our pressing game, coupled with not being able to kill the game off means that we do too much running in the first half.

We're knackered by 65 minutes. If our passing was more accurate and we are more incisive in the final third, we would have been out our sight, like against Monaco.

Our A game is not quite there, but is coming along. I like that we play a variation with more direct diagonals from the back, which on another day could have scored from

6. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

Against Monaco, Spurs played at a high tempo. Against West Brom and Newcastle we have gone back to being too slow and laboured.
    Poch is still learning and he needs to develop his tactical awareness in games like this one.
    His use of the subs was naive.
    Let's not try and make this loss into a disaster because it isn't. If we play like this again though, we will drop more points so Poch and the team have hard work to do.

Spurporter and bruski like this.
  7. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Morning. Ramos if you are there give us a view on yesterday's showing.....or rather noshowing.....

8. guesty Guest

you just can't lose home games....especially against the sh1t teams

......and as for Carroll......come on...he's not even Championship standard

9. burnt Guest

While we are not a mill miles off the so called top teams , surely we can see nobody is at the moment because they've all stagnated to a certain degree , the prob for us like everyone else at the min is we are not a mill miles away from the so called sh1t teams either , hence the complete unpredictability of this league so far this season ..

10. 71yid

71yid Member

This result sums my wk up really...n this defeat is a bit hard to take, considering the great run we hav had in recent months. I agree wiv comments, spurs were second best today...simply not gud enuff.

Mattj78 likes this.
  11. bruski

bruski Active Member

Yes this lack of Plan B is becoming more evident. I thought in the first half we played long ball, which is not our style at all, but it seemed relatively successful, but then in the second half we tried going through the middle and failed. Half way through the second half you could see Tommy Carrol becoming tired, he needed to come off but Poch always leaves his substitutions 10 minutes later than you might expect. Rose was getting caught out upfield as usual. We can see these things but Poch is slow in reacting to remedy or change tactics. I love Poch and want him at WHL for the next 5 years at least but he has to get smarter tactically. Energy is great but being smart is too.

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  12. bruski

bruski Active Member

Spot on Scooterboy. Poch delays too long to make changes. We can see it surely he can.

Mattj78 likes this.
  13. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

The Monaco game can't be used as any sort of excuse as 7 changes were made so I just don't buy that fatigue was an issue.
    I thought Carroll played very well against Monaco and deserved to be given a chance but he failed to take it and that was a real shame. He lacks strength and the guile to succeed at this level at the moment. I thought he would come good on Sunday but he let himself down badly imo.

The whole high pressing game baffles me at times. Just as you think the players are really into it and giving teams a good run around, they suddenly play as they did after the first goals at west Brom and again yesterday.
    Kane looked lost yesterday, he really did and I wonder whether that in part was due to not having Son with him who I think complements Kane very well.
    That's not having a go at Lamela by the way as he was possibly our best player on the day.
    Eriksen was dreadful. He stuck to the left hand side and offered very little going forward and other than the corner for the goal, his dead balls were terrible.
    Jan had a bad game and all in all it was simply a bad at the office but let's be honest, every team has one. Chelsea have had several this season and United and City are also losing points although still keeping heads above water at the top of the league.

We do need that extra striker and not just someone to replace Kane if he's not fit, but someone to support and score goals with him.

I expect Poch learnt a harsh lesson yesterday and I hope he takes that lesson on to the training pitch and into the next set of games over the usually hard Xmas period.

We sit 3 points off the top 4, yet only 3 points above mid table so the league is tighter than ever and anyone could finish in the top 4 this season.
    You would expect Leicester to have a blip soon, but when will that be if at all?
    Chelsea may have had theirs. United are in a slump but still fourth and City are not brilliant either.

I still maintain the standard in the league is as poor now as it has been for many a year and if we can't finish in the top 4 this season, you wonder when we will.

But I remain positive and trust Poch to learn and get Spurs into that top 4 and hopefully provide a trophy for us come May!!!

Jonesy likes this.
  14. will Guest

As a spurs fan i expect to win every game because we have the talent and the fitness to do so but the newcastle game showed that there were a few players, playing for the wrong reasons. Alli seems to be trying to prove himself a man by pushing opponent players when there is no need such as noble and collocini and so lacks maturity on the pitch. kane has the whole weight of spurs on his shoulders and so should be given a break and hugo is expected also to save everything that comes his way. dont forget he has played more or less every game this season. I dont think its a matter of bringing in another class player because we have them i think as a team this lose will serve as a mini break and will do us some good in the long run. you have to make mistakes to learn from them. i still remain positive that top four is within out grasp considering the only teams playing well are first and second. lets not have this one game ruin our season.

Jonesy and Mattj78 like this.
  15. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

Reflection .....
    This time last year we had 24 points, so only 2 different, and we're 15 points behind Chelski..!!!,
    Albeit we were only two points behind the Gooners...

Fast forward to Monday night this year and Chelski being run ragged by Leicster ffs....we don't score goals like Vardy and Mahrez scored tonight. We don't create anything at pace (Vardy goal) and we do not have a pacy, tricky winger who can turn a player in the box and bury it (Mahrez goal).

Reflection - Has anything really changed.....for Chelski sure, for us, I'm not sure.....

Mattj78 and Jonesy like this.
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Yesterday's loss should/must act as a warning shot to Poch. A defeat is never a good thing IMO, however it's part of the game and the important thing is how we react to it as a group.

Personally, I do think we need to get a true striker in January - to support Kane; one who will graft and commit to the cause.

If we want some value, well Levy certainly will, a punt on Charlie Austin is a calculated gamble. Has some PL experience, english, gives an ALTERNATIVE option and is physical.

In addition, some pace and width is needed. I said we should of bought Mahrez in the summer (now unlikely), or go for someone like Bolasie. Powerful, quick and unpredictable!

Really hope Clinton starts to come good new year; slow start for him so far...

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Love watching Mahrez and thinking how glad i am Lamelas our record signing

Bazza47 and Jonesy like this.
  18. burnt Guest

Yes and its nearly 2 years to the day AVB got the bullet having one point more on 27 coming off the back of a season with a record points total in prem lg ... Of course it doesn't tell the whole story but it just goes to show , as they say its a funny ol game .....

Mattj78 and Jonesy like this.
  19. Jonesy

Jonesy Well-Known Member

Indeed, u know Levy is smarting. A profit opportunity missed for him and Joe!

Mahrez, what an absolute steal at less than £500k. He looked very good again tonight, as did Leicester for 60/65mins. Interestingly, they managed to take their chances when they were on top and got through the inevitable powder storm from Chelksi and take the 3 points. Something we need to replicate eh Poch!

Chelski one point off the drop zone and 9 defeats to date. And, the Goons have drawn Barca in the CL...

What a difference 24 hours can make :)

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  20. guesty Guest

never ceases to amaze me why people are bothered about Chelsea and Arsenal....or anyone else.
    I'm more concerned about us! ....we lost to a sh1t team in Newcastle. ...don't dress them up as anything else.

bad day at the office. lets hope the players react to that. And the sooner Dembele is back and Carroll is out the better

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button