PLAYER RATINGS: West Ham 0-1 Tottenham

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by James McC, August 16, 2014.

1. Well I would have to say we stole that one. The red card given to Naughton was a complete joke. How can the ref, who was not even going to award a penalty turn around on advice of the linesman award the penalty and then deem it to be deliberate. Foyte should be fined and suspended as a plater would be for their actions.
    Lloris -9.8 What more could he have done. Great save at the end, solid as always
    Danny Rose- 5.0 Rarely closed down any crosses. In my opinion he often appears only interested in going forward and drifts into the middle too often abandoning his defensive responsibilities.
    Younis Kaboul- 6.5 Made a few risky decisions not getting goal side of his man and caught in posession badly which almost cost us. On the upside he seemed to get better as the game went on and I would much rather see him in the line-up than Daws.
    Naughton- 5.0 Hard to rate as his game ended early. He did not look great but hand ball or not why was he the one blocking at the far post.
    Eric Dier- 8.0 Its easy to get carried away but I thought he looked far more comfortable at right back and in addition to the goal there was a few occasions he got forward.
    Aaron Lennon- 4.0 Usually just passed backwards, no impact at all. After a half decent pre season I had hope. As usual he let us down. He stinks really I've given up. Bye Bye.
    Nabil Bentaleb- 4.5 How people considered his performance as anything but pedestrian shocks me. Offers very little going forward and truth be told was abysmal defensively when you watch the game again. Lost his marker constantly. If he is going to be a starter this year than we are settling for mediocrity. Never awful but just way too basic. Why has everyone forgot about Dembele. He is miles above Nabil, MILES!!
    Capoue- 6.o Looked better at the back. Telegraphs his passes way too much to play any offensive roll

2. Nick Guest

Hay Nott Nats good to see your still posting remember me from our Berbatov slagging match a while back. He got a goal every two games btw.
    15 games 9 goals
    Monaco finished second and qualified for the CL.

Well, for me that was a very unconvincing performance. If they scored their penalty and played properly we would have lost or at best drawn that game.

Problems.

1 )How Sandro can be sitting this one out i don't get, fit strong presence in the middle.
    2) Dawson over Kabaul every day, as for Captain? WTF?
    3) Our £30 mil chap has got to go on loan somewhere (an Ad type thing).
    4) Still two strikers for me Ad's worse game in terms of holding the ball up and linking with the 'attacking creative midfielders, er, yer right cause they are'
    5) CE, and to a lesser degree LH never have i seen so many stray passes to our often 1 target, Ad. If we play like this we need wingers going down the wings. (Right was ok but left?) If West Ham can defend against us then they all can. CE needs to focus on his passing in the critical final third. I don't like the smaller pitch they play on in training cus they can't weight those 20- 30 yard passes right its all to slow and tapping it about. Not decisive not breaking/passing with purpose.
    Use a full half pitch, 2 teams of attackers two teams of defenders each take a ball in play moment until is out of play and do it at full pace, while the other lot rests and learns from what they have just witnessed ect.

Good things,

1) Spirit, the lads worked hard dug in
    2) Dier played well but what a gamble? Surely he could do the Europe champaign or league cup to get started.
    3) Townend looked excellent as he did in pre season why did he not start?
    4) The keeper what a save late on really that should have been at least 2 0 to them. ps wheres the other young lad, i note he not in the European squad, injured perhaps? Wired for a first choice Swans stopper who proven himself at this Premiership Level, last year.
    5) The windows still open and hopefully we can off load a couple but if we do we need replacements. This chat of 25 players? WTF. We are in 4 competitions. We should be playing a totally different team in Europe and League cup. Ok this European game is to qualify so its different but still 32 or 35 is completely right for a season that could see us playing 60 odd games and we should be looking to win every cup. (Domestic qually for this seasons Europa and winning the Europa you get CL. ps on this showing we would get clattered in the CL anyway, so pointless.).

Never like Tottenham didn't want to be in the CUP winners in 74 in Europe ect. I just don't and never will get people's anti the lesser European cup especially when your in the quarters and playing top teams anyway. Its much bigger than the domestic and FA cup for me, no doubt.

3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I feel we never utilised Siggs properly at Spurs he is a goal scorer something we lack big time.

notnats likes this.
  4. big fran Guest

Nice for sygi but he's moved on and so have we rightly or wrongly.. Most importantly on opening day is not to lose so to nick a win at a place where we would and did lose last term is a massive plus. Like many I didn't agree with the team picked but poch has the luxury of making changes midweek and next sat under little or no pressure. Had we lost im sure one or two knives be out already. I expect wholesale changes midweek and Townsend vertongen holtby to start next sat

5. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Cheers Nick, yes I do remember our chat, that was a while ago and you threatened to throw your computer at your wall. I hope your comp is ok or have you got a new one? anyway good to see you back. Agree not the most convincing first up but a good team win and good to see them hold thier nerve and fight it out for the points, also it shuts those spammers up for a while.

6. Nick Guest

Yes, you could say i was not impressed with losing JD and not replacing him last Jan, however, we made the Europa some how and now we must be hopeful for the season. I was pleased to see some of the youth coming through Ryan Mason, Dier the lad in the States ect, getting some real match time rather than reserve team football which i don't think really cuts it. Still, a disappointing display for me at West Ham, never a better time to play them, perfect pitch weather ect and we were quite drab imo. Though we win we move on and hope that the season is fruitful.

notnats likes this.
  7. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

plenty of work to do but being realistic this was the first competitive game that this relatively new team and new manager have played. The pre season was very low key and mostly no more than training runs against very average competition. going down to ten early in a very tough away game is often a disaster, especially for Spurs but this time I didn't see any heads down or hand on hips. For me it was a hard fought and well earned win. What pissed me off most was the commentary, Tony Gale who always slags off Spurs, for all their long ball attack and possession WH had 4 shots on target against ten men, why did they deserve to win it ? we scored a fantastic goal and deserved the win.

Ramos43 likes this.
  8. Remy Uwilin

Remy Uwilin Active Member

Yeah, I miss Sigurdsson...had a tremendous impact on the Man U game. Some of our midfielders look timid in terms of pulling the trigger. Siggy isn't and sometimes that's what's needed.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button