Outplayed, but don't push the panic button yet: Spurs 0-3 Liverpool post-match thoughts

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Socrates, August 31, 2014.

1. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

As true supporters, Spurs supporters, and particularly in recent years, you defend your own, are one-eyed often and still support the badge.

But you have to be honest with yourself. For example, apart from Hugo, which of our players would get in their equivalent Liverpool position, or the Gooners side. Pretty much SFA....

So could today just have been an off day for the entire team. Everybody was ****. None better than a 5 imo...

Poor marking, poor recovery, no creativity, no top class 20 goals a season striker.....this is not being harsh on the team that I support, but it is me being critical of the players who wear the badge.
    Jennings, Blanchflower, Mackay, Jones, Greaves, Hoddle, Gasgoine, Berbatov, Modric, Bale.

Are there any of the 11 starters and 3 subs who come close.....not even close.

We have no balance, no pace, no player who can pick a pass, no goals in the side. If Poch delivers with this bunch it will rank alongside Foinavon winning the Grand National. So so poor today lads, every last one of you.

You've got to be honest, and we've got problems.

Salute the badge...COYS

2. Hotspur24 Guest

I had a bit of a feeling we would be bought down to earth today. We looked world beaters against a very average QPR defence. Our players Lamela, Chadli and Erikkson were given the time and freedom to run the game. However, qpr had four very good chances thanks to the ineptness of Kaboul and co. I thought all summer that we needed a defence, you only have to look at last seasons goal difference to see that. With the exception of vertonghen , dier, walker, davies and to some degree vlad, the rest are useless . I would have played Fazio today because anything he would have done would be streets ahead of Kaboul. Kaboul cant pass, tackle or read a game to save his life. Im not worried yet and we need to give poch time to instill his style and philosophy, but it was very noticeable with 25 mins to go that we gave up and showed no endeavour to score.We need to play 2 up top and need some creation which im sure erikkson and lamela have got in them. Effectively, today we played with 6 defenders and lost 3 - 0 at home. I hope in my lifetime we can make the top 4 again!!!! COYS.

PeeLee likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Something to think about-

Jake Livermoore was a player at spurs who wud be given a run out last 10 minutes or if we were depleted with injuries he was a back up bit part player from the academy and was clearly behind more seasoned established better quality players. Bentaleb is no better than Livermoore yet has and is currently holding down a starting spot in our 1st 11, something is obviously wrong with the set up as more eatablished pros arent even making a case or commanding their place in the team. Is it their atitude? Are they not as good? Is it poor stratergy?

To me it shows the quality in players weve been buying has dipped dramatically not only in quality but in atitude aswell. Now id say the majority of us all think we need at least a top quality CB and a proper 20 goal striker minimum by close of the window, and if the board persistantly fail to deliver these glaringly obvious failings then they are failing the club massively!
    The transfer policies are not working and we are going backwards!

Mattj78 likes this.
  4. Mattj78

Mattj78 Well-Known Member

I think it is far too early to start saying we have 'problems' . There is no getting away from the fact that we did not play well and there is work to be done, but did we really expect it to be any different?
    Liverpool were runners up last season and we were sixth. They have strengthened and we have pretty much the very same squad!
    MP is also on a learning curve don't forget, and will need to learn how to have a plan b in games against the bigger teams as the expectancy on spurs to win rather than Southampton, with all due respect, is much greater.
    We will beat a lot of teams this season, but we could do with a clinical finisher and Kabiul needs to go as he is poor and has a poor attitude.

We will be fine, but sacking yet another manager would be crazy. And even I don't think levy is that crazy.

PeeLee likes this.
  5. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

I can't say I am surprised by the over-dramatic response to the clubs 1st defeat of the season, by people who have a rather limited understanding of the game. After all, that is the nature of the fickle fan....

Last week Spurs were back! This week Spurs are ****! Lol...it's actually quite funny when you think about it!

Ok, so it was a disappointing result and performance, but it's important to remember that day's like this are simply part of the process of getting the club back to where we all want it to be. It's as simple as that...

Pochettino would have learned a hell of a lot during today's game, and as far as I'm concerned, that can only be a positive thing as he continues to develop, not only the playing style but, the mentality within the group.

In all honesty, I don't believe this was a '3-0 match'. It was a game that was littered with mistakes from BOTH teams, with the main difference between the sides being the COMPOSURE shown in the final 3rd. Goals change games, and if Spurs could have made the most of one of GREAT opportunities they had during the 1st half, the match could have been all so different.

Spurs looked nervous from the get go, if truth be told, and perhaps this was evidence that the wounds from last years thrashings/beatings at the hands of the top 4 still linger within the minds of the players.

Everyone was making mistakes, Lloris, Kaboul, Rose, Vertonghen Dier, Eiksen, Lamela, etc EVERYBODY.

So to pick out anyone out on the back of that would probably be unfair, but I will, anyway, for entertainments sake.

Now, everybody knows how much I admire Younes Kaboul as a player. I make no secret of it. Never have, never will. At his best the Frenchman is strong, quick, commanding, good in the air, capable positionally, composed in possesion and a solid reader of the game. But this season, I haven't seen him look like any of those things.

In fact, he has looked shaky, and almost nervous, every time he is put under any sort of pressure.

Now, for me, after closely watching all of his performances this season, I still believe that physically he is STILL capable of being the Rolls Royce of a defender that I so fondly remember. But mentally, there appears to of been a noticeable difference.

Some of his defending, in each of the 3 games I have watched this season has bordered on NAIVE, which is not something I thought I'd been saying about the big man.

Losing his marker from set-pieces, failing to keep his eye on the ball from flighted delivery, turning his back on play unnecessarily, sloppy in possession and indecisive in the tackle, the Frenchman looks like he's suffering from a of crisis of confidence, as far as his own game is concerned.

With the captaincy still up for grabs, Younes will have to improve considerably if he hopes to stay in the team, let alone wear the armband.

Christian Eriksen is another player who has struggled thus far, this season. Besides, his freekick that rattled the QPR crossbar last week, I'm struggling to remember him doing ANYTHING of note. And for a (supposed) no10, that's a problem!

Listen, the Dane has consistently worked hard in the 3 games I've watched him in, tracking back, tackling and pressing, well. But the point is, if your going to play in that no10 role, then you MUST be able to influence the game from an attacking standpoint, and unfortunately for Eriksen, he has NOT done that in any of the games played, so far.

3 games is enough to make a decision regarding dropping players, based upon form, and if Spurs were playing again midweek, I think both Younes and Christian would be in SERIOUS danger of losing their places in the team.

I think the biggest indication of the mental wounds from last year are still yet to heal is the way the team appeared to attempt to 'play safe' whilst in possession.

I DON'T believe this was an intentional ploy of MP, but once the game got going and the mistakes from Spurs began to mount, too many Spurs players opted for a 'safe' backwards/sideways pass instead of the penetrating forward pass between the lines.

Apart from Capoue, who was majorly at fault for the 2nd goal conceded, nobody in the midfield seemed to have the composure to lift their heads up, and pick a forward pass.

Listen, I could go on here, but I'll leave it at that, for now, and just say that the biggest difference between the teams, for me, is mental, at the moment, rather than physical or technical.

Another representation of that point how 'streetwise' Liverpool were throughout the match, regularly committing fouls to halt any Spurs momentum, or counter attacks. It's part of the game that probably won't get mentioned too much, but Liverpool were very clever in that respect. It was an unashamedly blatant tactic to disrupt Spurs' rhythm, and frustrate the crowd and guess what, it worked a treat.

The main thing Pochettino would've learned today, I believe, is that he needs to get into the players heads, and repair the fragile confidence of a team that STILL bears the scares of last seasons humiliating defeats at the hands of the top 4. That will be his biggest challenge in his 1st season in charge.

Of course, a positive result, and performance, against one of the top sides in the league would go a LONG way to the squad restablishing their belief that they can hold their own, in the big games.... Hopefully, that can come sooner rather than later.

Maybe we all just need to remember that Spurs are a work in progress. A win, draw or defeat today was NEVER going to change that fact.

Learning a new managers philosophy is one thing. Having the confidence and courage to put that philosophy into practice against 'the big teams' is another thing entirely.

But, give it your time, patience and support, like I will, and I have NO DOUBT that we will all be rewarded.

notnats, stevethespur and Mattj78 like this.
  6. peej Guest

I agree 100%. See my previous post, this is a mental problem!

Liverpool were cleverer, more committed and sharper. Some new blood with steel is on the horizon, but we need some of our current stock to step up.

Big time!

Mattj78 likes this.
  7. Mattj78

It is never a nice feeling to lose, but we are three games into a new season. Leicester held the gooners today, burnley held united, chelski won but the defence was full of holes.
    It is early and we are very much a team re building. It is simply madness to judge MP on one defeat, one victory or even one season.
    We have a great squad and this is the time to get behind the team.

PeeLee and notnats like this.
  8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Ramos

I can accept a defeat if your team has tried and has battled, but Liverpool beat us at a canter today. High line/Deep line- a clothes line would offer more protection than our back 4.
    Its alright keep saying theres a great player inside there somewhere and that theres bags of potential in another but when will any of it come to fruition?
    Fact is that Liverpool out fought worked thought classed us and we had no answer again. It could have easily been another 5-0.
    Last season it was the set up was wrong due to the manager/s now we have a new promising manager and the defence is still shocking, the midfield have no fight and the striking is poor. At some point the players need to be looked at and judged on what they consistantly deliver and if it isnt good enough then no matter what coach you have in place they will ultimately fail.

Mattj78 likes this.
  9. Nigespur Guest

3 big things from todays game:
    1 - Younes Kaboul is not half the player he showed before getting injured 20 months ago!!! His performance today was appalling..gave the ball away almost everytime inlcuding for 2nd goal plus what was he doing backing off Moreno for the 3rd goal..Jan was on the cover ffs. He has to go!!!
    2 - our central midfielders are slow at turning defence into attack..no injection and didnt shield our defence to well either
    3 - our 3 supporting attacking players all need to do better for sure..Eriksen in particular...doesnt seem focussed yet. Unfortunately 1 Trick Townsend proved again today that he should not be 1 of those 3 in the team and along with Kaboul and possibly Dembele and Naughton, I think they should be on the transfer deadline day ticket out of WHL!!!

10. Nigespur Guest

Ramos

I cant agree with you about Kaboul..he was rubbisb against all top 4 teams last season and gave the ball away under no pressure for todays 2nd goal not Capoue

I will agree with you about liverpools game-faces in terms of taking fouls 'for the team'..Mousa Dembele had a few chances to do same today when they broke and we were under pressure but not once did he take the foul for the team...not a good sign of a winning mentality

PeeLee likes this.
  11. stevethespur Active Member

All credit to Liverpool, they combined talent with work rate, superb. Shows how far we have to improve. Thought we were naive tactically during the game and looked to Poch to change things, but maybe its too early in Poch's reign to expect a squad capable of dealing with such a clever Rogers team. My dear Ramos is asking for 'patience' and thats exactly what is needed. Early days yet, man city slipped up against Stoke. Nomads couldnt beat the Leicester and Burnley held Man U ! Time for Poch to earn his money and surprise erstwhile spurs fans with his new philosophy, but it was never going to be easy. We will beat most teams in the Prem but how we yearn to compete with the very best. Coys

PeeLee likes this.
  12. Spurporter Well-Known Member

I don't think we got badly outplayed. We got outscored, no question, but ANY team could lose to LFC by 3 when their top players bring their A game. No one can perform like that for entire season. We just got them on the wrong Sunday. They must had to come back strong after spanking by City last week and they did.

Kaboul got his replacement already, just relax and wait a little, we have signed him.

True, we looked toothless upfront. This is because... yeah we were. Who's fault is that? I think Poch got out-managed here. Team was not prepared to play Liverpool that parks the bus upfront and counters every chance there was. It is expected from Mourinho, not Rogers.

So I would agree to prime poster here. No reason to panic. Our defense will change soon. Our manager's playing style has a well known weakness. It was exploited by opposition successfully. It's alright, unless we see that over and over again. Up until then we do not have a problem. COYS!!

P.S. Finally, every one and their mothers know we need 20+ goal scorer. Problem is 19 other clubs in EPL and all over in Europe are looking for the same.

Last edited: September 1, 2014
    PeeLee likes this.
  13. Ramos43

Ramos43 Active Member

There is ONE aspect of the teams technical ability that needs to improve and that is delivery from set-pieces.

I said before the game that Spurs could have the edge in terms of height from set-plays, today, and that much was true. But what I didn't bank on was the teams inability to deliver a good set-piece.

The amount of corners and freekicks from out wide that didn't make it pass the 1st man beggared belief!

Eriksen had a few attempts, before Lamela had seen enough and decided to take over. Neither of them were anything like successful, so in the end we started taking the corners short. Lol...It was actually quite funny!

I know that consistently taking a good corner is an speciality, and that it isn't the easiest ting to do on a football pitch, but, my word, we made it look it!

Listen, I won't try and kid anyone by saying, the team was unlucky, Kaboul wasn't all over the place or that the movement in the 2nd half was poor, but this is ONLY 1 game, very early on, in a new managers reign.

Like I said before, Spurs are a work in progress. A win, draw or defeat today was NEVER going to change that fact.

New managers are NOT miracle cures ( just ask the Glazers), and there are usually issues/problems within a club which lead to a new manager is appointed in the first place.

Pochettino is still identifying exactly what they are. Having a great pre-season can be misleading (as the Glazers, once again, are finding out) and therefore it is difficult to gauge how complete your squad is.

Yes, you can beat Real or Bayern in a friendly when nothing is riding on it, but how do you respond to:

• Big match situations when points are on the line.
    • Facing adversity, or injustice, on the field of play.
    • A managers hair-dryer.
    • The pressure of an expectant home crowd.
    • Praise/criticism.
    • Playing against lesser opposition in games where motivation can become an issue.
    • Tactical readjustments.

The list goes on...And these are all things Pochettino will be looking at as he continues to reshape this team.

Liverpool were sharper and more clever. They were the more confident TEAM. They looked like a TEAM that had become accustomed to winning big games together. They looked like a TEAM that had complete faith/understanding in/of their managers philosophy and that is something which only comes with an open mind, hard-work and experience.

The penalty just after the restart helped them to develop a sense of security in their display, and from that point onwards, they were able to sit in deep, get numbers behind the ball, and solely play on the counter-attack.

And then when Andros came on and made the mistake that lead to their 3rd, it was pretty much game over.

Just like that the game was gone. A cheap pen, and a sloppy give away, and the game was virtually over 15 mins into the 2nd half.

For what its worth, I've liked ALL of Pochettino's substitutions this season.

Hey, Perhaps the introduction of Townsend and Dembele would have been better at half-time, at 1-0, when the game would still have been 'open' (in terms of space on the pitch), but hindsight is 20/20, right.

Personally, though I feel Andros would have had a FAR greater impact had he played in the 1st half when the game was stretched. As it was, he came on at a time when Livepool were happy to keep 8/9 men behind the ball, in two solid blocks.

Spurs have a group of TOP QUALITY individuals. On paper a better squad/side than Liverpools, in my educated (opposed to biased) opinion (with regards to technical and physically qualities). What Pochettino is trying to do now is mould those individuals into a team, as well as more rounded individuals. That will take time.

Today, I didn't see a team that lacked fight, or passion. I just saw a group of individuals in white that lacked real belief/conviction.

And, a big part of that will stem from the 23-1 (or whatever it is) record the team endured last season against, the big sides.

Fear/nervous energy spreads. If your playing in a team where you see one colleague, then another, make a mistake then it's quite feasible for that tension/apprehension to manifest itself in the minds of others.

I missed the 1st 2/3mins of the game, but once I sorted out the laptop and got the game going, I was greeted by an overexcited commentators claims that Balotelli SHOULD of scored!

2/3 mins into the game and Spurs had conceded a gilt-edged chance. That has a knock-on effect on the anxiety levels of the whole team. Especially for those who were involved in games where Spurs conceded early last season. The team is now rattled.

Suddenly people become so focused on NOT making a mistake, that they omit a nervous tension that means that they cannot help, but, commit errors.

A five yard pass through a gap a meter long, suddenly feels like trying to thread a pin through the eye of a needle.

Every clearance becomes hurried or rushed, as the ball keeps coming back at you. Panic ensues. Tension spreads.

The forwards, now, feel that every time they get the ball, there is a (bigger) pressure on them to make something happen, as the team looks likely to concede at the other end. That leads to them second guessing themselves, and in turn their team mates. Suddenly nobody is relaxed. The players, the crowd, and the kitman.

NOBODY IS RELAXED...(apart from maybe the opposition)

Pochettino isn't lying when he says Spurs have 'unbelievable players'. Lord knows he's said it enough. And I am not lying when I say, I know, Spurs have a TOP-CLASS squad, full of talent, either...... That isn't to say, though ,that, as a group/unit, there isn't ingredients still missing. Yet, not all of those ingredients can be acquired by means of payment.

MP's job is to identify what those ingredients are, and then add them.... And, I have FULL confidence in him that he will.

Last edited: September 1, 2014
    Spurporter likes this.
  14. johnnyhrvat Guest

We moved our air defense system to the Humber and the enemy were quick to try and exploit this. I suppose Danny Rose will mark Crouch when we play Stoke!
    I watched hoping we might produce a miracle but anyone that did not see this coming obviously has tunnel vision.
    Many of you are saying this or that player is not good enough but MP needs to make a TEAM and not a bunch of individuals.
    I would be happy with a top six position this season - the misguided expectation in previous seasons has seen us heap pressure on managers and constantly have transitional campaigns.

15. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Painful to watch, l'pool are a well drilled, well organised side and were better on the day, I actually like tbe MF diamond formation, their plan and tactics worked very well for them so we learn from this and move on, its game three of a long season, we will get better. On the bright side maybe Levy will get out the cheque book after that performance. As always deadline day looks to be very interesting for Spurs.

stevethespur likes this.
  16. stevethespur Active Member

Rumours of Welbeck joining us and i for one think he will add to the team. Deadline day always interesting. Coys

17. Mattj78

The second half performance was not good enough, but in the first half, we were simply guilty of not being clinical enough in the final third. The final ball was weak and we played very narrow with no width. Against QPR, we had a lot of width with Rose and Dier getting forward and hugging the touch lines and that was lacking today. When Townsend came on, he cut inside and there was a severe lack of balls into the box.
    Chadli had a golden chance and if he had scored that, it could have been a different game.
    Compared to last season, I don't think I saw a lack of desire yesterday, but rather a lack of maturity in a young squad still adapting yet another manager.
    There were the odd poor performances, Kaboul was shocking and was against all the big teams last season, but the fact that the new manager will work hard to get the best from the players is a positive.

We have only played three games and lost one, and yes, we all expected a stronger performance, but it is far too early to start to worry about our season just yet.
    It all comes down to expectations. My expectation is a top six finish as a minimum and a trophy, ideally the UEFA cup. If you are expecting a top four finish, I think this season you will be disappointed.

I still believe that the future is bright.

PeeLee and notnats like this.
  18. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Although pool were better in the first half that doesn't always win the points, we had some very good chances and should have finished the half at 1-1 unfortunatly for us there were some decisive momments that killed the game off for us, I cant argue about the penalty decision and im sure the boss might have had a quiet word with young Erik but that was a blatent and shameful dive, I know this is part of the modern game and many applaud this behaviour I myself find it gutless and dishonest and hope I dont see it coming from a Spurs player

Mattj78 likes this.
  19. PeeLee New Member

Why have fans got to be told "Don't push the panic button yet.." unless they're loonies? In any case, what is there to panic about? If this result gave some Spurs fans a reality-test, then good. It is false to make a claim as some have upthread, that Spurs are supposedly bound for the top but this result shows how unrealistic that is, when nobody with their head screwed on right has said other than that Spurs should end up in the top four or top six this season. Along the way there will be draws and defeats, and this was one of them. It was nothing like last season's two defeats by Liverpool. A soft penalty conceded by a new boy, and a lack of concentration by a substitute, led to two of the goals, the second of which probably had a dismaying effect in the team while the third definitely did. I think we had good players on the pitch, good also in that they didn't panic. Wait until Dier is settled, and the likely two new arrivals this last transfer-day get to play.

notnats and stevethespur like this.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button