On the scale of comatose to kamikaze, how bad is Tottenham's defence?

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by Josh Bolton, March 19, 2015.

1. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Agree about Townsend and Dembele and although ive said recently that I prefer Townsend over Lamela on the right and that's only because he does offer some width and keeps the shape but if it was up to me I wouldn't let him anywhere near the right, in fact I wouldn't have him anywhere near the left either tbh, but if we must play him then it should be on his natural side, he scored a nice goal the other week when he switched to the left picking the ball up from the back and showing some nice pace, he even cut back inside and scored off his right, but alas, Poch will be having none of that. As far as Dembele goes I also agree, I think that different games need different types of players and players like Dembele and Stambouli have been completely brushed by the manager.
    I fully believe in a rotation policy and believe it keeps the whole squad match fit and keen to work for the team, I actually think Poch has mostly done well in his rotation this season, he's given most players enough time on the pitch to prove themselves and our injury list has thankfully been a non event so theres no reason to depend on average players like Bentaleb and Mason every week when in certain games we could be better served with Dembele and Stambouli, don't know if many would agree but I still rate Capoue and think the only thing holding this player back is attitude, at his best he's the best DM at the club.
    I actually do think we need the Europa and I know this comp divides opinions and I for one have very mixed feelings and I know it probably sounds defeatist but I think the group stages are perfect for giving the sqad games and competition instead of sitting on the sidelines pulling splinters out of their arses waiting for someone to have an injury and then coming into the team cold. I don't mind if we send the kids to the far reaches of Europe it gives them real opportunities to play hard and pull on the shirt. it also brings in some revenue and gives us more games to talk about. However, and this is where its a bit defeatist, I also don't think we can win this comp, too many games and the structure of the comp is a joke, and at this stage of the season very difficult to put your eggs into the one basket so me personally, I don't lose much sleep when we bow out.

2. notnats

notnats Well-Known Member

Cheers Steve, couldn't agree more, im probably not MPs biggest fan but I will give him credit where due for some improvement in the teams work ethic and discipline which has probably got us over the line in a few games but id like to see some of that adaptability and sophistication where needed.
    Unfortunatly I don't see it in Poch. Not much of a cricket fan these days but did watch a bit of last nights win over Pakistan. I used to like watching the tests but as a family man what chance have I got of sitting in front of the box with a beer and watching the cricket all day these days, lol.

stevethespur likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Poch is way to 1 dimensional to change up formation, as for discipline the defence is a shambles and has been basically all season, the high press is only done consistently by Kane & Mason.
    When are people gonna realise that a huge number of our squad are sub standard? Had to listen to people telling us we have an 'amazing' squad and how 'clever' our transfer business has been.
    The squad needs a major overhaul to bring in some quality and the very least reliable competent footballers with the right attitude that fit the 1 dimensional system.
    Change up the System by all means but we have Defenders that cant defend, wide men that cant create & only 3 genuine goal threats (and 1 of them is chadli when hes bothered).
    I would like to see a big cull in the current squad with some bold transfer movement based on quality not quantity and potential, the only reason were anywhere near top 4 is because the league has been so poor. With Utd & Liverpool having to adapt Aunties outstayed tenure at Scum Peligrini losing the plot weve been fortunate to stay in contention, but carry on in the manner we are regarding transfers, dressing up painfully average players, relying on kids, cling to the deadwood, ignoring the glaring deficiencies with in the team and i expect that group to pull further away next season unless genuine ambition is shown!

4. Lee2 Guest

Apparently, one part of the answer to our defensive woes is Kevin Wimmer, whom we've just signed for £4.3m according to the Guardian.... who the f is he?

I think Vertonghen, Kaboom and Chiriches will all end up leaving this summer. If so, surely we must buy a proven, experienced, centre-back to replace?

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button