Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I agree that we have a load of has beens and never was players but that does not explain why Mourino brings on Moura every game when we have better players on bench and why did he let skipp go out on loan.Quite frankly apart from Kane and Son and Hojbjerg no other player would get in a another top ten side.Why does he laud Dier when he can’t pass a ball to his own team and always seems to go missing when the opposition score from a set piece.I know we have a load of over hyped players but I don’t share your blind faith in Mourino who I don’t think is a good judge of a player or he would not have purchased Doherty to take over from the disaster AurierAlso when we go behind in a game his substitutions usually leave us with no shape and a free for all.I was praying for Mourino to prove the poch lovers wrong but so far I am still undecided whether he is being clever or has fallen far behind the modern coaching methods

2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

The Poch squad has aged and was no longer able to to play a high intensity football. JM was correctly brought it to milk whatever left out of the team in need of rebuild. His style requires domination plays for much smaller part of a match.
    The loss to Foxes is on JM, but not due to tactical preference of the coach. The game was still winnable when both Ndombele and LoCelso were withdrawn. But Mou didn't have CMF on the bench. So we had only wingers on the pitch with Kane, as a result. JM put Winks out there to play what should have been Dele's role. Alli was not included in the extended bench. Without proper #10 Spurs attackers looked clueless, as they were. Spurs had 60% of the ball over that match. But Mou played against himself in Rodgers, who uses identical tactic, thus, picked a typical Mourinho win for LCFC. The best of the two Mourinhos won.

Last edited: December 22, 2020
  3. Jesper Active Member

I agree with most. In my opinion then I'd say that Son can do the role that Vardy played, the weaknesses were more:
    -Ndidi is a lot better than Sissoko
    -Aurier made a stupid decision, I can't remember the last time it happened so for me he is still one of the best RB in the EPL
    -RW is still a weak position. Jack Clarke may or may not be ready, based on the latest I saw of him then he might need to go out on loan and improve. Even the winger that Leicester deems to be surplus to them might be a good addition for Spurs....

For some reason the team drops to deep after getting a lead, didn't happen here as Spurs were never in the lead but mentality-wise there seems to be some weaknesses. Possibly it is all Mourinho but I am not so sure. In the latest Europa league match then he still went ahead with strenghtening the attack after gaining the lead. That might indicate that he wants more.

Spurporter likes this.
  4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

How can you think Aurier is one of the best right back in the premiership.Have you not watched Liverpool Chelsea Man united Man City all with superior defenders and you don’t see them giving away needless penalties.Aurier has improved but still an accident waiting to happen but unfortunately so far his replacement Doherty has not set the team on fire either

5. Spurporter Well-Known Member

They are just tired. Too many games are taxing mentally. After loss to Antwerp the whole idea of having two squads a la City went out the window, as Mou realized he cannot trust his fringe player group. Spurs do not have a strong enough roster to be on top of table longer than 2 weeks. We are the 2nd tier club, same as under Poch, which is an accomplishment for JM, if you compare to where we were a year ago.

6. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Sergio Ramos gives out not only penalties, but red cards. Yet, he is one of the best defenders in the world. I think Kyle Walker is still better RB than Aurier, let alone Alexander-Arnold, who is the best in EPL. Aurier, however, has elevated himself to elite level this season.

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Aurier is never and never will be elite level.Ramos is voted best defender in world by biased Spanish press and no one else.Van dyke class above and does not commit numerous fouls every game .I believe Ramos would struggle in the premiership if he managed to complete game

8. THFC Guest

Are you sure you know which one Aurier is? He is the one who is supposed to protect the right hand side of the back 4...the one who is never in position, makes several strange decisions every game and always gives a crazy foul, random pass or turns into trouble on the edge of our box. The same one who puts in one decent cross from 10 attempts. He is close to being one of the worst RB in EPL not one of the best however I’m not sure he really should be called a RB, he really is a winger that can’t cross and doesn’t score many. If you think he is a good RB and elite, you really must be confusing either him with someone else or the purpose of a RB. He is about as elite as Kieran Trippier but at least Trippier can cross...I would rather pop a plastic cone in that space than either of the aforementioned players and can tell you that neither are elite RB’s

9. THFC Guest

Ramos despite his poor disciplinary record is indeed a top defender...his cards often come from his desire to defend in anyway possible and as much as he is annoying to watch he is very effective and there are few CB’s that are willing to defend in the style that he does for a win. He probably suits JM game plan/style more than any other defender that is playing currently. That being said, Aurier has not elevated himself anywhere this season as despite having a couple of standout games in a couple of stand out performances where he was joined by 9 other players being defenders, continues to foul and turn over possession as well as consistently being out of position which means others (like Sissoko & Toby on a few occasions vs Vardy) have to chase back to cover and as everyone knows they don’t have the pace which is one reason why you try to have quick FB’s to cover them (not the other way around)

10. Jesper Active Member

I think you might be mixing Aurier up with Sissoko, you know the guy who can't receive a football, can't pass a football, can't dribble with a football, can't head a football, can't cross, can't shoot and can't jump. & yes, his positional play isn't great either but I suppose it is better than his tackling but that might be difficult to tell as he so rarely tackles.
    The guy who once I see his name on the teamsheet then I know Spurs will give up possession as he as one of the central midfielders does not want to have the ball.
    Some say that Sissoko is forced to cover for Aurier, possibly it is the other way around. Sissoko offers so little that Aurier is forced to cover for Sissoko.

Aurier and Lloris have both made mistakes leading to goals recently. One is being crucified and said to be the worst in the EPL and the other? Old narratives stick.

11. THFC Guest

Wow...haha...we really are watching something completely different. I’m not sure where the Sissoko comparison comes from given the talk was about RB but in our squad of deficiencies currently, aside from Kane and Son, he is the first name on the team sheet for me. He is the only player tackling back and picking the ball up and driving us forward at any pace. His final pass, first touch and shooting can let him down but he plays a simple ball 90% of the time to one of our players which is sufficient.
    If you think from watching that Aurier is out of position covering for Sissoko or that Aurier is in any way shape or form the same league in quality as Lloris then there really is no point in arguing with you our views really couldn’t be any further apart.

12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What team will Jose pick today.He says he will mix it up.I hope he does not go for the Europa rubbish or we could be out of the cup today.Stoke have already put out 2 premiershipteams.Kane or son must play and please don’t pair Winks and Sissoko.we really should be like city and go strong which is why they have won it 3 times in a row.I suspect that Jose will play his favourites like Moura and Sanchez

13. Jesper Active Member

The reason why I brought up Sissoko is that you made the claim that I mixed up Aurier with someone. Then I read your description of the player and that description fitted Sissoko more than anyone else.

Yep, it does seem that we are watching something completely different. Tell me since you see him as the only tackling player, how many tackles do you see Sissoko making per match? I've seen him play and I've seen the stats for him. Would you say that the stats are accurate?
    I take it that since you are happy to see Sissoko playing then you are happy with how the team plays when he is playing?
    His safe passing is more often than not backwards so to get the ball forward then the back four has to bypass him and go long.
    His running with the ball, is that more or less produtive than when Moura runs with the ball?

14. Cheshuntboy Guest

The awarding of cult status to an apology of a footballer like Sissoko is just another example of the masochism of so many Spurs supporters; give them an injury-prone wage thief like Lamela, a total clown like Sissoko, or a hapless failure like Soldado, and the blind love flows uncritically, at the same rate as the club's money flows into the dud players' offshore accounts. I can only imagine that it's reverse psychology, to defuse the mockery Spurs would get (and deserve) from other clubs' fans for paying top dollar for these wasters, and then giving them improved contracts despite their manifest failings (other than Soldado, who'd probably still be with us if Kane hadn't come good) - we've probably got the club most of us deserve, come to think of it. Now there's a depressing thought!

Felon82 likes this.
  15. Sideline Guest

« however we still have a nasty run ahead and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the negativity return to this board in spades if we lose a few of the next games. It’s definitely a “fickle forum” »

I wrote this before we had the tough run of games. Judging by the tone of comments above, seems like it wasn’t misplaced!

voiceofreason and Jesper like this.
  16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

As I said Moura and Sanchez play although he has gone stronger than I thought he would.Conditions awful so we need to fight fire with fire unfortunately we have just conceded with their first shot and still the waste of space Moura is on the pitch while Ali is withdrawn

Last edited: December 23, 2020
  17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Well we win but why do I feel underwhelmed again.Most of our play is so slow and ponderous My favourite player Moura once again sets the game alight i am joking.The much criticised Lamela still has more fight in him than most of the others.Sanchez and Dier once again, look vulnerable and I fear for them against a team with class up frontThe biggest difference I see is the urgency that other teams play with compared to us.Oh we do need some class in the middle of the pitch who can dictate play but there wont be any going for sale in JanuaryFinally my pet hate Moura can anyone tell me what position he plays because all i see is him running like a headless chicken

18. THFC Guest

As I said, no point in arguing if you have seen him play and still think that he adds nothing to us and somehow think Aurier is good as we absolutely view both players completely differently

19. Jesper Active Member

For those so inclined to know the tackling stats of Sissoko, it is approximately 2 (two) tackles per match - one tackle per half. I suppose that is better than his zero blocked shots so far this season.
    I do see some value in Sissoko and that is when surrendering possession and defending very very deep. In any other scenario he offers very little. And in those scenarios then I might prefer an actual defender rather than him.

But you are right, no point in discussing it further.

20. THFC Guest

For those that are inclined to know the full stats on Sissoko, to be fair to him they are:
    29 games
    35 x clearances, 4 x blocks & 27 x interceptions
    64.1% tackle success rate & 50% aerial dual success rate
    1246 passes, 87.5% pass success rate with 63.2% long pass success rate
    45.7 passes per game - 23.9% passes forward & 20.4% passes backwards
    84.1% accuracy in opponents half & 88.6% accuracy in own half

This is similar or better defensive success rate to Aurier, Sanchez, Dier and Davies while behind Toby (especially in terms of clearances) who is easily our best defender. It is also better distribution than all of the above players as well as Winks, Lo Celso, Ndombele and Moura.

Still, you have seen him I suppose so you must be right....although surrendering 12.5% of passes compared to 18.3% Toby, 14.1% Sanchez, 14.9% Lo Celso, 19.3% Dier, 20.9% Aurier, 16.5% Moura, 14.4% Ndombele and 13.4% Davies would seem to indicate otherwise...and as far as defending very, very deep, that just means he is doing his job in the game plan that JM sets us up for so not sure you can throw that one at him...but you have seen him

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button