Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Jose’s ghost your entitled to your opinion but I wonder how many Chelsea fans Porto fans and inter fans would swap 4 league and two European cups to just lose playing gung ho football

Felon82 likes this.
  2. Jose's Ghost Guest

Thank you for entitling me to my opinion but as that is fundamental it is redundant for you to say

I couldn't care less what the fans of these other clubs think of themselves.

I'm Spurs and I'm with Blanchflower.

3. THFC Guest

I think we need to be realistic about what we are watching currently. I for one was not happy with how I thought JM was making us play when he first arrived.
    I then watched the documentary and could clearly see what he was saying and what the players were doing were two different things.
    On to this season, we are certainly playing a style that is delivering results however it’s not great to watch for 75% of each game.
    I don’t think we are missing much now, if we could sign a decent CB and another CM like Ndombele who can play a forward pass, quickly, we may just create a few more chances each game and watching will bring a little more joy than it does today.
    Still, I’ll take PL title for some shite football this season if it can kickstart better things for us.

4. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Top of the league ?
    Clean sheets ?
    World class goals ?
    Team spirit ?
    Qualified in Europe ?
    Knocked Chavs out the LG Cup ?
    Thumping Utd ?
    Beating City & Scum Mentally/Tactically ?
    Upsetting rival fans ?
    Upsetting bias pundits ?

I'm absolutely loving it, what's not to love?

You need to give your head a wobble if you think this is a problem.

Bazza47 likes this.
  5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

If you'd been offered it would you have taken 70% possession and a 2-0 loss before kick off ?

6. Genevaspurs Guest

I totally share this opinion which is very pragmatic and which is certainly the same for the vast majority of Spurs fans. The only thing that could go wrong for all of us would be that the current season cannot be crowned with a title. If this were the case then this way of playing which goes against the philosophy of Spurs (attractive, offensive, dominant, etc ...) would take another turn and Jose should immediately pack his bags. If, on the other hand, this team, with this style of play, wins a major title then we can only thank Jose! COYS !

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Attractive/Offensive/Dominant we've only ever been sporadically, it's a myth we were consistently playing that football before JMs arrival.
    Possession stats & passes don't tell a full picture, snail pace aimlessly passing for passings sake, being unable to penetrate because of the predictability and uninventive play is not and never was exciting.
    When our 2 CBs and keeper are playing triangles in our 6 yard box the passing/possession stats look great.
    Moussa Dembele is a great example of what stats can tell you the dribble master, pass completion king but essentially the most skillful player to have never done anything threatening with a football ever.
    The only thing that matters in sport is winning not the endless pontification of how we go about not winning properly with every excuse under the sun to back it up.
    What's the difference between keeping the ball for 70% of the game and winning 2-0 with a Kane & Son moment or not not having the ball for 70% of the game but winning 2-0 with a Kane & Son moment?
    The objective is to win

8. palmover Active Member

When JM took over spurs, spurs were a broken team mentally and physically MP had run these guys into the ground losing 3-0 to Brighton was a very low point for me as a spurs fan.

JM is 11 games into his 1st full season, Spurs are top of the league and some fans are complaining about the style of play and not seeing the process.

In the first five Pl games spurs were attack minded and played a higher line, scored 13 conceded 8. Won 2, Drew 2, lost 1. Ppg: 1.6

In the last 6pl games spurs have gone to mid - low bloc with a team of hard working players putting defense above attack. Pl 6 w5 d1 PPG 2.66. scored 8, conceded 1.

The ppg over the last 6 games if replicated over a season is title winning form, that being said if spurs had seen out the newcastle and spam games spurs would have had a ppg of 2.4 which is good enough to win titles.

Spurs will play more attacking football as the players get fitter. Coys

Felon82 likes this.
  9. palmover Active Member

Sons goal was a worldie, however, the counter attack for Kanes goal was a classic rip their hearts out moment. They over committed like a boxer throwing a flurry of punches, they had their famous left hooked poised in the form of aubameyang , however, spurs in the form of serge beat them to the punch, they wobbled, and two passes later the knock out blow was delivered by king Kane, i live for the counter. Coys

Felon82 likes this.
  10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Loving the boxing analogy , we are like a footballing Floyd Mayweather defensively sound let your guard slip you'll get punished and wel knick the rounds till you can't win and stay out of trouble.

11. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

You’re holding back there Felon....

12. Felon82 Well-Known Member

You know me Baz I try to keep things civil.....

Bazza47 likes this.
  13. THFC Guest

That is soooooo true....great player who didn’t really do anything

Felon82 likes this.
  14. There is no accounting for taste

As I said... Leicester 2015/16

Enjoy that sandwich

15. Why exactly are they the only two options?

Both are rubbish against a very poor Arsenal side

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I think you miss the point Jose’s ghost 70 per cent possession and a 2-0 loss was what what we were getting at the end of pochetinos reign.Do you prefer to go back to those exciting days

Felon82 likes this.
  17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

As I said would any Leicester fan swap their PL Crown for their free flowing 5th place finish last year?

It's ridiculous that watching us win matches and sit top of the league isn't good enough because of possession stats.

18. Spurs aren’t Leicester... nor should we ever strive to be.

We’re a painful watch... as they were... and with the exception of a handful of matches have been for twelve months. You could say the same of Pochettino’s final year but at least the intention to entertain remained.

The end doesn’t justify the means here... and if people wish to believe it does it’s because they’re utterly desperate. That’s understandable... but also unbecoming.

We are always going to win trophies again one day believe it or not... best we do it in the proper way.

19. Cheshuntboy Guest

I wish I shared your certainty - ALWAYS going to win trophies again? Two league cups in 29 years, and nothing in the last twelve? I'm somewhere in the middle on this argument, because I don't understand how we've conceded so much possession, and thus invited pressure, against teams like Brighton and West Ham, but managed our best results against the Big Boys since God knows when! It seems to be working so far, but this is Spurs remember, and Kane's ankle is all that stands between us and a chilly dose of reality - all this taking the knee must be playing havoc with his tendons, ligaments et al, so give it a rest Harry, for all our sakes.

Felon82 likes this.
  20. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Another 45 minutes of absolute rubbish to welcome the fans back.Why does Mourino insist on playing this eleven time after time in Europe??Rest some players okay but not all eleven or you get this shambles.Only decelso showing anything.Have we been duped with Bale and will he ever be the player he was again.Why 3 at the back against a poor side at home .If he does not trust the centre half’s then don’t play themI expect we will probably have to bring on the the players he is trying to protect to get a result.This gives the ante Mourino types ammunition they should not have

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button