Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. THFC Guest

Gazzaniga is better than Hart
    Unbelievably, Aurier is better than Doherty which shows just how bad Doherty is.
    Bale really needs to improve as his performances are not adding anything of note at this stage
    Sanchez is just terrible...we have to sign Skrinar in January and sell Sanchez

As I have said before, I really think Sissoko has to start for us and is a key player in MF (despite his occasional poor decision). When we have him and PEH we look so much more solid.

That was poor today....roll on Gooners, we need a decent performance to get back on track

2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

LoCelso is massively average and pointless, a huge waste of money.
    Can't see what he adds or why he should be in the team.
    We can't keep spunking big money on such nothing players, what was he bought for to do, he's not a playmaker, not a box to box, not a DM, hasn't any stand out ability yet we shelled out £54mil.
    More awful transfer buisness

Last edited: December 4, 2020
  3. palmover Active Member

Big picture: Qualified for next round. Roll on Sunday.
    Makeshift back 5 with a very dodgy Gk playing away from home and not motivated which is the bad bit, and the result according to Jm was better than the performance which makes it a good point in the end. One to forget. Coys

4. Jesper Active Member

A midfield consisting of players who never played together played as players who had never played together. All three are good, Ndombele might possibly be great. Of the three then it looked like Lo Celso was the one having a match to forget.
    Bale plays with a smile on his face, I am glad he is relaxed and happy but at times I might prefer someone who is so focussed on the task at hand that smiling is not an option. Looks can be deceiving so who knows.
    Aurier was better than many gave him credit for and he has improved since so being worse than Aurier is not a shame. Aurier is at the moment a lot better than Doherty.
    Sanchez appeared to be distracted. If it is about deciding where his future lies then that needs to be sorted soon, either sell him or play him more. Based on his performance and the performance of others then I don't think he can be put on the field much more often.

Winning tells something about the character, losing tells even more about the character and draws like this feels like a loss - might tell some about the characters involved. I hope this last match forces people to lift their performances. It might have been a cold day in Austria but more fire in the belly is needed.

The team has two great goal-scorers, a midfielder with a great eye for a pass, a battling midfielder, good first choice defenders and a great shot-stopper. Better players will be on the field for the NLD, more passion and focus will be during the NLD so COYS.

5. Very astute

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

10 points off Utd, City, Chavs & Scum

Clean sheet, 2 great goals, broke Scum like men Vs boys.

We're top they're 15th.

Who's loving the dinosaur tactics???

palmover and Spurporter like this.
  7. Guesty Guest

it's a results business
    JM knows that and won't care one bit what anyone thinks of his style of play.

carry on JM I say........

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

This is a happy weekend. Master stroke from Jose in getting Hojbjerg who seems to have lifted Sissoko into a position that he looks comfortable in.Also he seems to be getting Dier in to being a proper centre half.Would like not to have to bite my nails every second half but nobody can say the players are not signed in to the system.Son goal will take some beating in goal of the season.Happy days,,,,

Felon82 likes this.
  9. Jose's Ghost Guest

Obviously you're not watching the games...

10. Spurporter Well-Known Member

You can use shewing gum. Or you can watch highlights only. Bottom line: Mou fixed Spurs. 7 point from last 3 PL ties, which were the most difficult schedule part to date. COYS!!!

11. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Are you unhappy ?

12. Jose's Ghost Guest

Glad you're enjoying the **** sandwich... we're Leicester circa 2015/16. I couldn't tolerate the idea of it then so it would be very hypocritical of me to say it appears delicious now.

We look good on paper... the morning after. That's it.

13. Felon82 Well-Known Member

From the inherited circus JM has formed a-

Siege mentality, defensively sound, clinical on the break, team playing for each other, the shirt, fighting for results and getting them.

Something that has been missing for a while.

Most goals scored in 1st 11 games since 61.
    Qualified in Europe, knocked Chavs out the LG cup, 10 points off the 'big six' in 4 games (9 points from 10 last year)
    Anyone crying about style and method need to get a grip.

To quote Leicester 15/16 as if that's something to reject is ridiculous. Do you think they'd swap their PL Crown for their free flowing 5th last season?

It's actually embarrassing.

palmover and Bazza47 like this.
  14. Jose's Ghost Guest

The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom - Danny Blanchflower.

Don't ever talk to me about tradition.

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

You're actually crying about beating Scum 2-0 to send us top and them 15th.
    What you're longing for is Glorious Failure, Blanchflower was a winner when he spoke about Glory not a pretender.

palmover likes this.
  16. Guesty Guest

.......unfortunately in 2020.......it is about winning..... and not about how you win

17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I saw the great Danny Blanchflower many times and his quote came when we had 8 or nine top internationals in our team in The 1960s.Danny was with us for a few years before 1961 and he didn’t quote these type of things then.I accept Jose’s ghost does not like our style of play but would he rather be back to the days when Bayern spanked 7 past us at home.I too would like us to play more in the opposition half but at the moment we have to accept Jose is doing the best with this squad..We are still awaiting for Bale and Doherty to start playing and decelso and ndombele to find full fitness.Our biggest mistake was not buying Fernandes when offered 2 seasons ago

Felon82 and Bazza47 like this.
  18. Bazza47

Bazza47 Well-Known Member

We’ve played really well, been dominant without dominating in the big games, but.......18 of the 23 goals have come from H&S, two players who had injuries last term and were missing for extended periods. If we were to lose either or both at any stage then we’d be royally rogered.

Who knows whether H’s hammy will hold up, given the number of games we’ve got. The better we do the more we would want/have to play the pair of them and this will reduce the fitness margins for each.

I saw a stat that said if your 3rd highest goal scorer gets 12 PL goals then you’d pretty much guaranteed the title - I foolishly saw that we might get that from ... Bale perhaps. Now I can’t see where many other goals are going to come from. Who else had a sighter yesterday.....nobody.

Gonna be a long winter.....fingers crossed.....COYS

Felon82 likes this.
  19. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Perhaps Jose's Ghost would prefer a return to 5/5/18 where we had 18 shots 74% possession 615 passes and lost 1-0 to West Brom?
    Or 29/12/18 61% possession 664 passes and lost 1-3 to Wolves?
    Or 27/1/19 72% possession 620 passes and a 2-0 loss to Palace?
    Or 23/2/19 70% possession 504 passes and a 2-1 loss to Burnley?
    Or 8/5/16 70% possession 586 passes and a 1-2 loss to Southampton.

Or the 2 Monaco losses, Juventus , 2 Utd losses plenty more losses/draws with similar stats.

The Glory years of passing it round aimlessly if only we could get them back aye?

Bazza47 likes this.
  20. Jose's Ghost Guest

To Dare is to Defend... and Wait for a Mistake

Absolutely enthralling...

We ceded 70% possession at home to a very poor Arsenal side... that's effing ludicrous... and utter shite to watch regardless of the outcome

Seriously you're loving this?

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button