Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Agreed. Only 1st WHU goal was earned (Sissoco missed the scorer's jump barely getting off the ground). The other two were a bad luck for us and a good luck for them. It wasn't defensive breakdown or capitulation.
    Out of frustration I might have been too harsh on Bale, but BALE MUST HAVE SCORED!! One more miss like that and I will start his bashing campaign!
    For now I will hope his appearance on the pitch and the return of Spursy luck were just coincidental. COYS!!

Last edited: October 20, 2020
  2. Spurporter Well-Known Member

Spurs currently have one of the top squads in Europe, let alone England. Levy acquired as many players as he did after Bale's sale and got Bale himself. It is time to stop complaining about Levy's niggardliness.

3. Guesty Guest

sorry Jesper..... have to disagree about Winks.
    He brings nothing to us. he can't even defend well. And he was at fault for the third goal. poor touch that lost him possession. (having said that.... great strike)
    First goal....Sissoko
    Second goal..... Sanchez
    silly errors that we need to stop

NB...... losing points at home to the Spammers is the worst feeling.

4. Cheshuntboy Guest

It's amazing to think that we reportedly paid £42 million for Sanchez back in 2017, at a time when the world record fee for a defender was £50 million (for our boy Walker!). You surely don't pay that sort of money for potential, but he's certainly not improved over the past three years, and I very much doubt that he's on the radar of the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich - more likely Brighton or Fulham on current form. I saw that Anthony Gardner was in the team for Bale's first Spurs debut in 2007, and Sanchez could have been mistaken for him this time round - not a compliment!

Bazza47 and Felon82 like this.
  5. I’m as critical of Winks as anybody but one thing should be clear... he is a very good lad and a Spurs boy through and through. All that considered the question remains.. is he good enough for a club with our ambition? It is painful to say but the answer seems clearly no (I would be delighted were he to prove me wrong)

6. Yes he didn’t come cheap at the time... but if Maguire goes for 80 million then perhaps we still got a decent deal?

Sanchez was very good for Ajax the year prior to joining us when they made the Europa final... and was very good for us his first season.

How is it that his composure has now deserted him? Young players should improve not regress. Only he could tell you.

7. Felon82 Well-Known Member

So once again the usual suspects gifting goals and chances away.

Sanchez with the OG
    Aurrier gives the free kick, Sanchez misses it and Sissoko is day dreaming.
    Last chance of the game ball falls to winks who just needs to put his foot through it but as per usual Glee Boy to scared to kick a ball anywhere forwards tries to take a touch gifting his 1st ever assist to Lanzini.

Same players , same brain dead mistakes all should be nowhere near a first team with any aspiration at all.

You can't carry so many clowns and we are stockpiled with them.

Poch (who wasn't backed) spent best part of £95m on Sanchez Sissoko & Aurrier who will all continue to be played and not sold because of how the bean counters brain works.
    Then the Academy poster boy fraud Winks who has no actual talent, position, physicality, vision etc but will play because people say things like he's 'spurs'.

But before we get too negative prior to the utter capitulation we are looking very threatening in attack and it was a freak result in the end as on another day we score 5 and Lanzinis shot goes into the stands 99 times out of 100.
    It's worse because it's them and in the space of 8 mins we fell apart.

But what can we expect whenever the 4 aforementioned players are on the pitch it's too many players to carry

Bazza47 likes this.
  8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I agree with felon Sissoko Winks and Aurier should never be first picks and should not be in the same team together unless it’s europa game when we have qualified.I for the love of god do not understand why Mourino praised Winks after the game or was he covering up his error in substituting him.Compare him with Rice of the spam and it’s like chalk and cheese.Southgate rates him so I suppose he does something right but I don’t see it.Young White is by far a better player already.For all the criticism he gets we miss Lamela when we need some backbone at the end of games because he puts himself about

9. Guesty Guest

Winks is worse than Carroll.... and he played many more games than he should have.
    sell winks to a Championship (or lower) club asap.

some will say he plays for England......well.....that's winning trophies isn't it.....

10. Felon82 Well-Known Member

He should've been sent to Norwich (permanently) not Skipp

11. palmover Active Member

It is strange how some view football. Sanchez is getting a lot of stick, however, he has been in the winning team 7 times in spurs last 14pl games more than any other CB and has been on the losing team once. He gets criticized for his passing however, he's starting to pass some delightful diagonals he did it yesterday and against utd, however receives no recognition for this.
    He did lose his head for the own goal, maybe he was still annoyed at not keeping the clean sheet and was not fully switched on.
    Antonio comes off having not had a kick, because he was being well marked mainly by Sanchez.
    That draw was down to team complacency, lack of composure, and a lack of a true leader. It's easy to scapegoat a player who made a mistake, however, all the players and Jm will all think they could have done something different which would have won the game for spurs.
    For me way more positives than negatives. Jm said he does make mistakes, however he doesn't make the same mistake twice. Coys

Bazza47 likes this.
  12. palmover Active Member

Was impressed with Tanguy he battled away in mid and showed that he can tackle and has some bite. He is about 75% fit if he can improve his fitness he will be a beast of a player. Coys

13. palmover Active Member

Moura, winks and Stevie.B need to take opportunities to show what they bring to the team none caught the eye imo. However, when Bale skipped past Ogbona, you saw the class, yes he should have scored, however, he lacks fitness, but the class is still there. Coys

14. THFC Guest

I don’t get the hate for Sissoko however Aurier and Sanchez are a pair of disasters. Admittedly, Aurier is streets ahead of Sanchez for being terrible but the issue with Sanchez is simple...he can defend well or spray a decent pass then 2 mins later misplace a pass, clumsily foul or mistime a tackle which always seems to lead to a chance. The attempted header was non league standard not Ajax in the Champions League.

Winks is a weird one, he tears around trying to be a defensive midfielder but doesn’t really do a great deal when he gets the ball. Someone else summed it perfectly...94 mins gone, launch it as hard and far as possible, don’t try and tke a touch for a sideways pass on the edge of your own box.
    If Doherty had of replaced Aurier, Winks and Moura had remained firmly on the bench we probably would have seen the game out.
    I would like to see Tanganga given a run at CB....can’t be any worse than Dier or Sanchez

15. Felon82 Well-Known Member

I don't hate Sissoko I just think he is a terrible footballer his control, vision, ability is just poor and no amount of effort/application makes up for that fact.

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Easy win tonight and we have found a back up for Kane.Vinicius looks quality.Still can’t understand why we go to sleep second half instead of pressing on for more goals.Davies is better at centre half than full back as wales have always believed.I praised Lamela last week but he reverted to type tonight never wanting to pass the ball and getting caught with it constantly. But a win is a win and a clean sheet so onwards and upwards

Bazza47 likes this.
  17. Jose's Ghost Guest

Far too harsh an appraisal of Sissoko. He may not be the perfect midfielder but there's a good reason he's got 60 odd caps for perhaps the best football nation of the last 20 years... a nation typically loaded in midfield I might add.

No he's not a technician but he is not without a good level of skill and flair. Exceptionally good driving into space and has a decent passing range when the mood takes him. To be fair typically not the most composed in front of goal but no one ever said he was a forward.

All that said his physical qualities are what puts him on another level... he's an absolute monster in that regard. Big, strong and very fast... all powered by a massive engine. I seriously doubt there would be many midfielders who would enjoy the prospect of playing against him.

He may never be a superstar... a Yaya Toure (that was the comparison when he began his career)... but played in his correct position (RM or RCM) he would be an asset in any side.

18. Jose's Ghost Guest

Two sweet assists from Carlos tonight. Encouraging. I'm struggling to remember the last time a fully fit Kane sat on the bench for 90 minutes.

Still early doors but a shame about the buy back clause in the Reguilon deal. I can easily envisage Madrid returning for him next year.

19. THFC Guest

I agree with you on this...he covers every inch of the pitch, is so powerful and I think he makes a positive difference when he plays. If he had a better first touch and could shoot he would be unbelievable. He just seems to panic when he gets the ball with a bit of time. He is a different player under pressure and seems to make much better decisions. Shooting is terrible though :)

20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

When mentioning how good a footballer is, if its then accompanied by words like he's not a technician, if he had a better 1st touch and could shoot etc it kind of proves a point that he's not actually very good.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button