Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

1. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Postecoglu sacked by Halloween

It's not ALL his fault the club have spent a fortune on average players

Romero is a terrible CB in the PL

If we're gonna play a childish we'll score more than you style then we need to create and score way more than we do

A scrappy win v Everton will be enough for the happy clappers to pretend it's all great again

But a reality check will come with Newcastle & Scum

2. Visitor Guest

Can’t say I agree wholeheartedly with what you have said, especially about Ange.

With that being said I do agree that Romero is not the world class CB that others sometimes suggest.

He is not vocal or dominate in our box, not that great in the air (defensively) and his positioning is often let down by focusing solely on the way he is facing. If you look at Van Dijk, that’s exactly what he can do and with a better keeper than Vicario at dealing with crosses in the box shows why Liverpool are really hard to score against. For me, Romero is too often saved by the pace of VDV who I think is the best defender in the club but the pair of them look weak with anything thrown into the box.

I know it’s a bit out there but I think we should consider signing Guehi or Braithwaite then putting Romero in as the holding defensive MF (6). He does look world class aggressively pressing between the box and halfway line and is extremely calm on the ball

3. Guesty Guest

Thrilled......a little

Do we need to be more clinical in front of goal..... yes

Will every opposition team get chances.... yes

but if we go in at HT 3 or 4 up it's a different game.

so if we don't take our chances there is a possibility of drawing or losing

Is Solanke the answer....at £65m....I have my doubts. I did say it was a lot for him when we bought him...... but I hope he proves to be a good buy.
    but he should have certainly scored 2....Johnson as well....(or at least Son should have been on the front foot to tap the one in that squared across the goal line)

after all that..... I'm at least willing to give us a few games before throwing in the towel

4. Angelos Guest

I don’t think it is a matter of throwing in the towel. Rather we just have not improved.

What happened against Leicester was a familiar refrain. We will score goals. Just not as many as we should. Because as you say, we will concede them too.

There is nothing more frustrating in football than dominating a game and then wasting opportunity after opportunity. That’s us to a T.

Leicester are not a good side.

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I will still insist we were no better than last season after Leicester.Yes it is only one game but signing Solanke may turn out a good buy but Son and Johnson were just as ineffective as the end of last year and that puts a tremendous burden on Solanke to make up for the rest of our under performing front three.Lets see when the likes of Arsenal Liverpool Man City Newcastle Aston Villa go to leicester and see the results before judging but I think we all know the results

6. Guesty Guest

I agree...... our front 3 were no better.....will they get better..... maybe...... not sure......
    .....if they can't score from 1 rom 5 or 6 chances against a side just promoted......

but we did create chances.....we just need to start taking them....

I'd feel more confident in Solanke if he had scored his header and strike..... but both went straight at the keeper.....
    but at keast he was in the right position in his first real game for the team..... so positive signs

onwards and upwards.....

NB..... not sure the relevance of any other team's result against Leicester.......if they lose to them does it mean we are better because we drew?

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Top teams won’t draw or lose at Leicester unless they are reduced by sending offs

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Everton apparantly only have 14 fit squad members today so if we don’t win comfortably then we could be looking down the barrel of another frustrating season even at this early stage especially looking at our next run of really difficult fixtures in
    the next month.If we take a couple of big losses the it could destroy our confidence.We really should be going all out to get a defensive midfielder in and stop recruiting defenders.Nothing wrong with our defence that a good coach could correct easily especially getting Romero to learn kpositional play in stead of bull rushing

9. voiceofreason Active Member

Interesting that solanke didn’t miss a game through injury last season and us out after 1 for us? Does that say anything about fitness, training methods or just bad luck?

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Nice to see odebert starting but why is Bissouma playing instead of bergval..I would have played Richie and put son on wing and left out Johnson

11. Angelos Guest

A good win for the lads today I suspect.

12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Best performance for a long time now carry on at Newcastle or we will be fearing the worst again.Oderbet looked promising and is prepared to beat a defender unlike Johnson who is still dissapointing

13. Guesty Guest

......you mean you will be fearing the worst again.....

VdV's run was good to see after going down in the first half. he's a really good buy.
    agree Odobert looks like decent buy. hopefully he can push on.
    Thought the young lads came on and did well

all in all a good comfortable win

14. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I mean if we lose to Newcastle and the gooners it will all go flat again and stop the momentum and we must stop that happening.I hope Johnston I rested against Newcastle as he just is not brave enough in a fight

15. Angelos Guest

Pretty important game this weekend. A season is long, with many twists and turns, but considering recent history, a win here is required.

Newcastle are a decent side, one of the better. We’ll find out if we’re closer to them or the top of the table.

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

We need an improvement over last two years 6-1 and 4 -1 thrashings

17. Angelos Guest

Yes this weekend is a barometer. We’ve been unduly pumped at this venue the last couple of years. We’re at full strength or thereabouts. We have the better side. Lads need to go out and dominate, bring home a win.

18. voiceofreason Active Member

Yep we need to get a good result. We are sort of at full strength except the two players who are supposed to be our main strikers are out?!

19. Angelos Guest

Oh I hadn’t heard about Richarlison. Unbelievable. The lad is perpetually injured.

20. voiceofreason Active Member

Vdv out! Shame as he is world class but I think Radu is a great replacement, so not too worried, obviously affects us with the speed but let’s wait and see how it goes.
    Newqcastke have the longest run at home without losing after city so will be a tough game today. Probably a draw should be classed as a good result, especially considering previous games there

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button