Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Genevaspurs Guest

How can Kulusevski still start a match in a Spurs jersey? Son is a ghost, Johnson clearly doesn't have the level. We have opportunities to score but we are too clumsy to score goals. Defensively we are too permeable and there is no rebellion like Romero did on Sunday. Everyone seems resigned. No desire to watch Sunday's match at Liverpool. The result is known in advance

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Is there any one who still believes that Ange is the answer.What should have been looked at before signing him was his record when playing teams not based in Scotlands Mickey Mouse league.Inthe european competitions they were comprehensively beaten and out played tactically with no second plans.We need a much stronger man in charge who can alter his tactics to the opposition.Looking at the team tonight who would you keep.Me Vicario Romero Vandeven Udogie Maddison maybe sarr and Johnson as squad players the rest sell including Son.I don’t believe any more in the Angeball and those that do will get another season of dross before they come to their senses.Come on you rose coloured and you know who you are come on here and convince me that Ange is the new Messiah

3. Genevaspurs Guest

Was arteta the ans answer for gooners on his first season at emirates stadium ? You can see where they are today. Ange is making some wrong decision but his offensive mind and tactical is Tottenham one so give him more than one season. First season without Kane and we are always fifth. Some players have to see themselves in the mirror tonight ! Some ? Sorry... All players has to do it !

4. voiceofreason Active Member

I think you are right with this. We have to persevere, the comparison with Arteta and Klopp if I may not mistaken is correct. However I didn’t see the game and believe we were pretty poor today!

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Arteta needed players and demanded the best which is what he got a back four that does not concede a goal every set piece and 120 million midfielder who would eat ours for breakfast in Rice and the most all round midfielder in Odegard.He has coached mid table players to be winners as well so don’t compare as that is an insult to Arteta who as much as hate saying this is a class above Ange as a coach

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Now we know who is wearing the rose coloured specs.This happened with Poch until it was to late.Did you notice how he was throwing on youth players with no experience because he knew we had no threat.why do we keep saying watch Artetas first season when every body knew that he served his apprentiship under Pep not in the second rate Scottish league and only needed to strengthen his squad which the Arsenal did by backing him.Will Levy spend 400 million NO

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  7. voiceofreason Active Member

I don’t think you can say that yet. If we were having this discussion the first 2 years of artetas tenure, you would have been saying he was rubbish. Most goo red wanted him out

ps I left the “goo red”. Thought it was an apt autocorrect!

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

What's the excuses tonight then?

9. Guesty Guest

I only saw the first half but it seemed to me both sides were poor. a lack of quality in passing and movement.

We just don't seem to have a plan on where to be. we get the ball wide and then nothing happens ahead of the ball.
    You could see Ange berating players that were just happy to keep passing sideways and backwards.
    we keep it and keep it and then the final pass is soo poor.

As for their goals.....again we give away cheap free kicks..
    It's clear we struggle defending set pieces...... so stop giving cheap free kicks and corners away

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I can say Arteta is a class above Ange in coaching because as much as I hate them Arsenal are as entertaing and almost unbeatable as City.He has the best back four in the league and we have one of the weakest despite having 4 individuals who are internationals this is down to coaching or lack of
    Voice of reason keeps on about Artetas first two years as though they were a disaster but it took him that time to clear the deadwood before rebuilding while we hang on to ours and let’s see how many are cleared out at end of season.Seems only Felon and I see the future as not what most spurs fans envisaged at the start of september

Felon82 likes this.
  11. Chirpydowner Guest

I’m not sure what you are on but it’s probably worth reducing the intake. The finger pointing rose spec references and attitude to Ange is rather odd. This is Ange’s first season in charge and despite the recent problems, all in all, it is better than we hoped for at the end of last season which was a disaster. There have been times where our football has been great to watch and times like the last 3 games, not so much (terrible). Yes we have problems but he was never going to fix them this season, his task this year was to stabilise a top 6 place and evaluate the players. To get into Europe will be a good result and we must have a mass clearout in the summer to give us a fresh start.

In terms of players to keep, there are not many. Vicario, Porro, Udogie, VDV, Romero and Sarr are the only non negotiables. The rest, especially Kulu, Johnson, Hojiberg, Richarlison, Werner and Bissouma should be sold in the summer and the money reinvested.

The only criticism I do have is we need a set piece coach and Mason has to go as he is coaching our old ways (I would assume). Fresh start should mean fresh start.

voiceofreason likes this.
  12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I am not on anything apart from reality.when did we win a game against a top six team apart from nine man liver pool.Nice to see you agree that we only have about Sven payers worth keeping and Mason must go.I will Come on here next season and ask forgiveness if we are better so hope you will do the same if we are still struggling to beat mediocre teams like Fulham and wolves

Felon82 likes this.
  13. voiceofreason Active Member

That’s exactly the point, he (Arteta)has changed the team and got a good team playing the way he wants. But it took time. There aren’t many managers that come into a team and make it into a top 2 team straight away when it was barely a top 6 team to start with! You know this

14. Welcome to Spurs, Ange. Every manager, player, and dog who walks through these doors ends up losing their mind/in a pile. Usually, takes about a year … so right on time, mate.

Felon82 likes this.
  15. I remember Neville and Carragher having an argument about Arteta when he was struggling early on … that he should change his tactics … he didn’t have the players for it … he’s gonna get sacked … and so on.

I admire Ange for sticking to his principles of attacking football while he lacks the players to make it work perfectly.

16. Yes the final ball has been consistently poor, as has the finishing. What did we have against Newcastle? 73% possession? And we lost 4-0 lol.

17. Are we going to have this conversation every week? Are we going to have it again after we lose to Liverpool?

The players aren’t good enough. We missed Europe for the first time in 13 years last season. Then, Kane was sold. Maddison was bought from the Championship. And Perisic broke down. The squad is weak.

18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Surely you don’t think we have not bought players in the first year to improve us but can you imagine Arteta wanting Verner on loan and I expect this is the quality we are going to get with Levy.You can defend Ange all you like but I don’t think he is anywhere near Artetas ability to coach

19. voiceofreason Active Member

I don’t know what bad transfers Arsenal made in his first year- I don’t pay attention to them much but I’m sure they weren’t all home runs.
    You are missing the point, I have never said Ang is a better manager (not have I said Atrteta is great either, I’ve just responded to your admiration for him). What I am saying is “we don’t t know yet”, we have to give a manager time to both implement his ideas fully and change (or
    try and change) the players he doesnt rate

20. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

The same man that wanted Verner and Johnson and brings on Gil when we are 2 down and need a goal.Do you trust his judgement on players because I have reservations

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button