Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

1. Genevaspurs Guest

Back only when things are not good. Where were you last 2 weeks ?

voiceofreason likes this.
  2. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Not deluding myself

3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Why are we not surprised.People are saying Poste did this to assess players and he seems to agree.I am sorry but if he did not know what a bunch of losers he has then he is not doing his job properly.History should tell him that 9 changes does not work and has cost this club in various cups over the last 3 to 4 years.what miracle can be worked in 2 days of the window .I suspect nothing

Felon82 likes this.
  4. I’m not sure you can blame 9 changes in itself (Fulham made 6 after all) but I think Postecoglou misread the room here.

Is the PL more important than the League Cup? Of course. But you get 38 of those games to sort things out. I wouldn’t think the League Cup is the place to be experimenting for this team/this manager this year.

I respect Postecoglou being egalitarian and wanting to see for himself who can play his system, but as us fans all know, several players who played tonight have failed here before, particularly last year. Why we do need to see them fail us again? and further in a knockout game?

Hjobjerg and Skipp are a dreadful midfield pairing. Sanchez has been broken for years. Royal and Davies are an insipid fullback pairing.

So an error in judgement from the manager for certain, but clearly we have no depth as well.

5. THFC Guest

“How am I going to find out about my players?,” Postecoglou said.

“It doesn’t mean the cup, or any game, isn’t a priority for us.

“We are very much at the discovery stage and we need to give the players the opportunity.

“They have been good in training so they deserved the chance to play.

“We are going to need these guys if we get disruptions along the way with injuries.”

nothing else to be said IMO (given he is only a couple of months in)

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Adding to my previous comments I have thought about what Poste has said about the changes but surely this man was aware of some of the dross we have .Even when he was in Scotland he would known which players were perennial losers. His comments don’t wash with me.He made a mistake and should admit it and apologise to the fans

7. voiceofreason Active Member

Maybe ange was making a point and showing levy that what he has in reserve isn’t good enough. Giving him a little nudge before the window closes?

8. voiceofreason Active Member

He is nothing if not consistent. You can set your watch by him, couple of wins, silence. Losses start and in he comes with an I told you so!

9. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Why would you sacrifice a cup to prove a point with Levy.Sorry that would be cutting off your nose to spite your face

Felon82 likes this.
  10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

You don’t have to change9 to find out you do it gradually and you would never have 9 injuries at the same time.

11. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Felon getting stick for not being pleased.It was felon who told you supporters what a load of dross we had when Poch was in charge and he was castigated for it so don’t be so quick to criticise.I am with him today because we have reverted to the old ways although I believe our first choice is good but our squad is not

Felon82 likes this.
  12. THFC Guest

13. THFC Guest

Sorry but I could not disagree with you more…he has no choice but to give some of the squad players a chance. They may well have been doing well in training and he can’t possibly sack the entire squad, as much as he might want to.

He has already proved willing to make big decisions without any emotional attachment….Dier is going, Ndombele has blown it again, Rodon is gone, Spence would have been one the club would have asked him to use but is gone.

The other players in the squad who may have been training well and may have done ok on occasions in the games he has had with them (which is not many) need to play (as they are part of the squad) and should be good enough to step in (even 9 changes). Several have proved that are not good enough and Ange will get rid.

Sanchez, Lo Celso, Hojiberg will go, it’s l just up to Levy how quickly.

I for one, have no problem at all with the side that was selected and Anges approach or comments and would rather he stuck them in a semi competitive game, in the least attractive of all cups than use the same players in the league of FA Cup and regret the decision.

14. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Some I agree but not 9 and I think you will find most fans agree.I think clubs should be fined for disrespecting the competition

15. Yes it was a misstep, particularly since we are not in Europe this season. It was our worst performance of the year, and a good portion of the lineup couldn’t beat lesser opposition in a knockout last season, so the result should be no surprise to anyone. Clearly a mistake on the manager’s behalf to rest all his best players in a knockout fixture just a few weeks into his tenure. Would have been better to beat Fulham and lose to Burnley this week. Failing to win either would not be good at all.

16. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Just like I imagine you've been creaming yourself over a draw with Brentford and win over Bournemouth.

And Utd who btw have been awful but if you wanna pin your hopes to that then that's fine.

I'll reserve my judgement for games like last night where they basically said yet again we don't give a ****.

And once that's okd it becomes the norm and acceptable Ange made that clear last night to them.

17. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Imagine being naive enough to believe or convince yourself this.

18. voiceofreason Active Member

Unfortunately there is not a woosh emoji on here!

“Just like I imagine you've been creaming yourself over a draw with Brentford and win over Bournemouth. “

Let’s keep it polite Mr Felon!

And no I wasn’t getting “over excited” by those wins but I was certainly happy that we did win and even happier with the style of play. I think where you do yourself an injustice is by having (sometimes ;) ) relevant points to make, although always negative but you never act like a real fan and get happy about a win, you just wait to jump in when the wheels come off! Regardless of who we were playing, even you must have seen that the way were playing was much better than previously.

Anyway, you are what you are and that’s why we have missed you over these last couple of glory weeks! (Remember there is no woosh emoji)

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

We have two days left and if we want to sign 2 more players we must unload at least 4 or 5.once again Levy has left it too late y insisting on fees we ain’t going to get.He has turned down a bid of 7 million for Sanchez today .Snatch their hand off even allowing for the reduced price over what we paid .After last night will Man U still want Hojbjerg.Does he really think Bayern want Dier .Only in his dreams.Even if it means losing money we must cancel Hugo’s and reguillons contracts and that allows a new man in.as I type I see we may have unloaded the total waste Ndombele on loan.

Last edited: August 30, 2023
  20. Felon82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to copy n paste coz pic not working, what I tweeted after Utd game.
    (Well to a man Spurs have been excellent today very promising performance
    Bissouma & Sarr looking like a good pairing in the middle that aren't gonna hide all game .
    Gonna need some more fire power up top tho.)

You mean positives like this?
    Just coz I don't get giddy and have to pretend everything is rosey all the time.
    Fact of the matter is Ange played with players forced on Conte and Mourinho last night and the result was terrible football.
    Like I've said time n again it's the quality of players that determine how you play and how good you are.
    Last night just showed again were 1 or 2 injuries away from utter mediocrity and that's down to having an unfit for purpose squad year after year.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button