Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

1. Welcome to the new/old Spurs … it’s a beautiful thing.

Something special is brewing. The new manager is already the perfect tonic … it will only keep getting better.

2. Guesty Guest

Good win. things to work on of course.
    listening to Ange it seems he will be making changes over the early games to get people involved.

one highlight for me was we were playing a top team (albeit not at their best)..... and we, at times, went into a five-a-side mentality... and just played one-touch over 5 yards. everyone wanting the ball.
    suggests that the players were enjoying themselves.....which hopefully will build.

lots of good individual performances.
    Sarr & Bissouma looked good together with Maddison.

not too sure about Vic.... but he made some decent saves which (as Ange suggested) will help him settle. last line of defence is always going to be in the limelight

Not wishing to harp on about Kane...... but Richy would do well to look at Kane's finish for Bayern. very similar to his chance against Brentford.
    But..... I think Richy will come good. just at times needs earlier service.

3. Richy just needs to hang in there. Absolutely nothing is falling his way. He’s an emotional guy; he just needs to keep banging away.

Is Bissouma already comeback player of the year? Looks pure quality in this system. As do a few other guys.

It’s been quite an amazing transformation in just a few short months. We suddenly have a very young and talented side again and a manager who wants to strike fear into our opponents.

I love Roy Keane but I thought it quite amusing him dismissing us at the half and calling our manager arrogant for thinking he can have us play like City. Postecoglou has been playing this system for years. His Japanese club actually outpossessed City in a friendly a few years ago. Sterling said at the time he’d never seen anything like it.

Needless to say Roy thought we were lovely in the end lol.

4. THFC Guest

Agree 100% with everything you said although what is making you unsure about Vicario? Based on two appearances, coming to a new, team, new league and new country, I think we have picked up an outstanding new no 1. Hopefully as you have said, when he settles, he will become even better!

5. voiceofreason Active Member

First time above Arsenal for a while, long may it continue
    I know it was only Bournemouth but thought defence was good today.
    Every game Mads is seeming like more and more of a bargain!
    Oh Richie! Feel for the guy but is he going to be Soldado version 2! Son held it up better when he replaced him up the centre, plus Son didn’t fall over the ball!!
    Think we should keep hjolberg , he is a good person to come on for last 30 minutes when we are winning

Last edited: August 26, 2023
  6. Guesty Guest

certainly more effort to play in the opposition half.
    everyone looks like they are enjoying themselves.

We are making chances for different players. Son, Sarr & Richie all had good chances to score in the first half.
    Peresic in the second.
    we could have had 5+ different names in the scoresheet.

agree about Hojbjerg. he's good at what he does...which is a useful player to have.

Also good from Ange making changes early when Bournemouth had the run of it.
    gave us the control back.

Interesting times.....but we have started well before...... but perhaps not playing how we fans what to see us play....so its a positive start.....

7. Another good performance but a long way to go. Still, hard not to look back to a few months ago and see how far we've already come in such a short time. An awful amount of credit has to go to the manager for changing the atmosphere around the club and getting us playing in the correct manner. We've got some good players but we may not see the full realisation of that for another 6 to 12 months. The system does have a definite structure/theory but it also requires an element of instinct/intuition which naturally takes time to fully develop.

Despite the good start, one thing of concern would be that our forward line has only scored one goal in three games. That will have to change.

And on topic, I'm not too fussed whether Hjobjerg stays or not. He's good but he won't be happy playing the season off the bench. Perisic though has to stay. He is still quality and a very good option on the wing.

8. voiceofreason Active Member

Agree about peresic. Son peresic and destiny together is a nightmare for defenders

9. voiceofreason Active Member

Sorry forgot about Mads preferring that side as well!

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree with 9 changes only 3 games into season.Make a few naturally but there is a cup up for grabs and this looks like disinterested to me

11. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

After that first half we are back to the insulting effort in the cup as we have been for years.I really thought Poste would take it more seriously but he has got sucked into the same mistake that we have back up players who are good enough.They ain’t and never have been

12. All credit to Ange for culling the awful dier but thinking he can rely on these second string losers is a sackable offence for me!! Absolutely disgusting playing sanchez and a non existent midfield. Another epic patsy making all the same mistakes
    A performance as disgusting as that third away strip.

13. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Shocking sub at start of half Gil off but Scarlett on really??we need 2 midfielders and son to have any chance

14. THFC Guest

Calm down…Ange MUST play the fringe players at some stage to allow him to demand the changes he wants.

the fact is that the same player’s he wants rid of, all did a great job of proving why they can’t stay.

There will be multiple exists and a few incomings with Ange having the proof under his (very early) tenure.

Better to do it now in the cup that literally no one cares about so he can update the squad and focus on the league.

If we have the same shite squad in 12 months, then you can moan at Ange for using them.

My guess is Sanchez, Lo Celso are fully doomed and another striker will be signed following Richies performance yet again

15. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What a let down of gigantic proportions.I thought Poste had a lot more about him than to throw away the chance of a cup win.I understood the weak teams when we were in Europe but we are not and now we have nothing until January and the fa cup.All we learned was what we already knew that our back up squad is tripe as it has been for years.So far I have been full of praise for Poste but tonight has taken my respect down a tad

16. voiceofreason Active Member

Not sure. I didnt see the game but all the press say lo celso is staying

17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I bet you won’t see any of the changes you mention happen as we have just over two days to sell rubbish which no one wants and Levy is to tight to pay for what we need

18. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well we've got our Tottenham back alright.

Everything about that tonight was a shambles from the minute the team sheet was released.

After just 4 games we have 1 cup to play for this entire season.

19. THFC Guest

Give him time

20. THFC Guest

Agree but to take him off so early (unless he’s picked up an injury) when he hasn’t been playing tells you he ain’t staying

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button