Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

1. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Surprise 1st half Barcelona. 1 spurs 2.midfield and front3 very good especially Skipp who has scored both goals.They scored after 2 mins as who else was caught out(Sanchez).Still look dodgy at the back but if we keep attacking like the first half we could shock them

2. voiceofreason Active Member

I’ll have to he honest. I don’t think I have seen any of the players play that come to English clubs unless they were already in English clubs! Had no idea if our goalie was any good, no idea if City’s new defender is any good. All the reviews seem to be that he is a good fit for Anges style

3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Can’t believe we led 2 -1 and the conceded 3 goals in the last 5 minutes and all from the left flank where Reguillon was missing for all 3 and Dier was no where quick enough to cover.There were good contributions in midfield although Solomon and Richarlison did not impress.If we can tighten up at the back we will have a good season but tonight just brought back memories of our disastrous defending last season.Please no more reguillon or Dier or Sanchez and Porro was not very good at defending either.

4. Guesty Guest

I agree.....no idea who any players are outside of English football.
    don't watch any of the european competitions....only games we are in.....
    so no idea who Mickey is (i.e. If he is any good...... hence asking).....

Just because we scout players doesn't mean they will be PL standard

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

We will be like Bielsas Leeds this season.

The best side to lose 3-2 most weeks.

6. Cheshuntboy Guest

Yes, it's incredible how easy it is to keep Spurs fans happy. We can't win trophies? Fine, let's just play gung-ho Ardiles-style playgound football instead, and people will say that they've 'got their Spurs back', even when the results are like yesterday's. A team of highly-paid so-called professional footballers (almost all full internationals), who concede three goals in ten minutes to throw away victory, and yet it's generally being hailed as a positive in the media and on the fan sites? It seems that expectations are now zero, so I daresay that Postecoglu will be the first Spurs manager to see out his contract in living memory - why not if actually winning things isn't part of the deal?

Felon82 likes this.
  7. voiceofreason Active Member

Sonny named as captain. Interesting choice, doesn’t seem like he would be the obvious choice. I guess maybe that says that he is the player Ange most thinks will be a nailed on starter. I always like midfield or centre back captains but as that’s quite up in the air at the moment, guess it makes sense

8. It could be a masterstroke, but Sonny has to deliver. There can be no repeat of last year. Postecoglou has called him world class, unlike Sonny’s father, so time to repay the faith for the new manager. Benjamin Button as you say.

The other thing it also suggests is that we sorely lack leaders. Maddison is one, but he’s just arrived. No more everyone living in Kane’s shadow and winning nothing. Time for the collective to stand up because that is exactly what this type of football is about.

9. So here we go. Remarkable how short a football offseason is. These guys do get paid a ridiculous amount of money, but they also never stop lol.

I couldn’t be more positive about the manager. I have no doubt that he is the best man for the job. But this is also a seismic shift, and the players need to be courageous and embrace this newfound attitude to dominate. It may take a little while to fully implement, and those sorry Spurs who can’t relate will be moved on. So the manager needs to be given a good 10 or 15 games here before anyone judges him and throws him under Mourinho’s bus.

10. voiceofreason Active Member

Very different starting line up to last years usual team. Note that Dier isn’t even in the subs so if he isn’t injured that means he is on his way.
    Looking forward to this, VDV in with only a few days training, hope he and Cuti form a good team. Think Skipps Barcelona performance forced his way in to the starting line up.
    Richie for a hat trick ;)

11. voiceofreason Active Member

Positives- Destiny, Mads,VDV and Biss
    Negatives- Viacario(Hugo was better with his feet if you can believe it!), Kulu son
    Meh!-Richie, Skipp

12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Hard to judge too harshly for first game but agree positives man of match Bissouma..Maddison destiny VDV also good. Son playing out of position should be down the centre.Richarlison tries hard but seems cursed that every chance he gets some one puts in a last ditch block or does he take one touch too many? I have said before I see no positives in Kulu.I know he is one of our own but is Skipp really better than Sarr.To make this a decent season we must sign a goalscorer and another centre half.

13. THFC Guest

Nothing but positives after the performance, the football is night and day in comparison to the last 3 managers approaches.

Extremely harsh penalty given it’s a contact sport and never a foul.

The own goal was unlucky and that touch could have given anywhere.

We need a new RB as that’s where all of our problems come from (which shows the rapid improvement that VDV and Udogie have made).

Still need another good CB.

Ivan Toney would be my pick to replace Kane.

Finally we need another CM to sit next to Bissouma with the ability to make ground and pick forward passes (because if Maddison gets an injury we have a problem). Ward Prowse would be my pick but either way we need to start Sarr over Skipp.

All in all, much better to watch and on the right path at last

14. Pretty good performance, disappointing result.

Sonny didn’t look any different to me from last year, missed another great chance. Skipp is a no no. Why is it Spurs always have to have some academy grafter in midfield? Get some class on the pitch thanks.

15. THFC Guest

Sonny for captain was an odd decision, based on ore season and game 1, I would have Bissouma as captain.

If you look at the volume of sideways and reverse passing, Skipp must surely lead the way. I would prefer Sarr to start but we still need another in there who can create.

The swap of Peresic for Son was a little random, Solomon would have had more threat you would think.

All in all though, really promising start to the season and so good to see us dominate possession for the first time in 5 years

16. THFC Guest

Well….I take back Ward Prowse being my pick now…

17. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Reasonable first half. But should have gone 1 down to glaring missed header and then unlucky to hit post ourselves but we really don’t have any forward players.

18. voiceofreason Active Member

Positives
    Udogie- he is going to be immense, don’t know what position though!
    Maddison- 40$m looking a snip!
    Bussouma- Conte- what did he do to him? He’s superb
    Vicario- much better
    Ange- Kudos for dropping royal after he had scored in last match and bringing in Warr!

negatives
    Son- it just won’t happen at the moment
    Kulu- one trick pony, needs to change it up

unlucky
    Richie- I still think it will turn good, he makes good runs and gets in position but it just won’t go his way

that second half was great, enjoyable to watch again!
    COYS

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Thought Son was better and worked harder and hopefully it will turn for him.Richie still try his heart out without the end product.Kulu waste of time.we really do need another striker.But the overall performance was so much better than the last 3 years.What a buy in Maddison and why was Bissouma ignored by Conte.Udogie is going to be a big big star all in all an enjoyable watch which we have not had for a long time.Still worry about Romeros petulance but with van along side him we look so much better
    Onwards and upwards

20. voiceofreason Active Member

I like it that we have a Romero style player. Agree VDV can keep him grounded. However I would say the defence still are not good at crosses and marking their man. First half VDV left Bruno and that should have been goal. Another couple of times they do t seem to pick them up well. I think that’s where Davies helps coming on

Last edited: August 19, 2023

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button