Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

1. Well I only caught the second half but we looked extremely good. What was it? 71% possession, 30 shots to 4? And yet we conceded 3 goals? Lol, that’s football I suppose.

We really should splurge on a quality centre back, even just one, even just a young gun like van den Ven; it would make a world of difference.

I have to say though, Udogie looks an exceptionally good. Left back is his; he will be a star.

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Now I have watched second half Spurs 2 West Ham 3?Nine changes at half time and we completely dominated.Best players Udogie and de celso.West ham has 4 shots whole game and scored 3 we had about 15 while Richarlison missed at least 5 good chances.The man works hard but really does not have a clue how to be calm in front of goal.West ham winner because of Sanchez poor positional play again.Please Levy finger out and pay up and stop messing about to save a few bob.Udogie looks class and Decelso way the best midfielder.At times in second half our play was good but we really can’t defend like this again. And we can’t miss double figures in chances every gameNow we need to keep Kane or get a top replacement if we sell because hopefully Son will find his form but Richarlison is 60 million wasted

3. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Sorry but I do understand Prep .But why are we prepping Tanganga Sanchez Reguillon who are known not to be good enough.If Postelogou did not know this then he is not up to scratch and Did Mason have any input.Which centre halves are we prepping as we have not bought any yet to Levy’s disgrace.Taking some players to Aussie when they have been poor for 3 seasons is not going to magically improve them.

Last edited: July 18, 2023
  4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What I failed to say was we had 30 shots to West Ham’s 4 and still lost which says a lot about our defence and the paucity of out attack without Son and Kane.Can any one see us in top four if Kane leaves and we don’t replace with class or do we muddle through until Toney is available.The good thing although we lost was the play was so much more entertaing than under Conte

5. Big fran Guest

I'd imagine starting tanganga is more to do with wanted to implement a style and system where we can have a high back line so he's gone with pace and the best of a bad bunch. It sounds like going forwards looked really good and created much. But when you have centre halves that have shown they can't even defend in a defensive low block of 4 or 5 protected by a double screen then your going to have no chance pushing high up with the full backs in the offensive 3rd akin to Liverpool 2 yrs ago! Your centre halves are going to be able to defend in 2v2 situations and these simply can't. Why this centre half department hadn't been addressed is beyond.. Oh no it hasn't it probably down to price tags again and insistence on trimming squads, wages and foreign player ratios.. How is it chelsea can get players out the door+??

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Chelsea have links to saudi

7. Yes very well said. Attacking/pressing football naturally equals a high line. Which in turn either requires centre backs with great nous and/or ones with great pace. Where are we with that? I’m not sure.

I think everyone here, and I am not thinking of yourself, needs to understand that a system is being put in place. After one friendly, it should be obvious what the principles of that is. But we are dealing with players
    who are unfamiliar with all of this after the last few years. It will take a little bit of time for all of them to perfectly understand what is required. And if they don’t? No worries they will be gone.

I am very happy with the new attitude of what we are presenting. It may not result in instant perfection from this coming season’s kickoff but the reality is we are finally returning to the club we should be. So we should all embrace this because success is guaranteed in the not too far future.

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I agree that it looks promising but we won’t be successful unless we replace the likes of Tanganga and Dier and get two quality centre backs.Just wishing for success based on our good attacking play won’t happen with a poor back four !We can’t afford to have to score 4 every week to win.

9. Oh I wholeheartedly agree we need to bring in someone quality there. I imagine it will happen.

But important to remember the old cliche as well … attack is the best form of defence. And you could see against West Ham how we collectively strangled them. Now we did concede 3 goals but that was from a total of 4 shots, so a remarkable anomaly. If we’re only giving up 4 shots every week then we will be okay.

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Any one else fed up with theKane will he won’t he.It’s fairly obvious he wants out so why are we not looking for a replacement immediately.We will have the money so go and buy and don’t penny pinch.I suspect we will be in for a certain Brentford striker when his ban is lifted in January but we can not rely on Richarlison until then.I personally don’t think Kane is mobile enough for the Postelogou way of playing so pay up Levy for a striker ,I understand we are interested in a Brazilian.Even Mane from Bayern would do a job

11. voiceofreason Active Member

Thé game was like a reversal of our wins against city , we shouldn’t have lost those but we were the undeserved winners against a team with more possession and more shots. We are the new City!

I think Richarlison will come good. I think he has been trying too hard for too long and that sometimes makes it tricky. Once he gets a couple of goals he will relax and be good

12. I honestly wouldn’t mind if he goes. He’s obviously a legendary Spur, but the sad reality is we have won nothing with him in the side, and we’ve had some good teams here during his time.

Of course you could argue he is the least culpable, but he gets an awful amount of attention here at the club, e.g., there is a mural of him outside the ground, which frankly is a little embarrassing given that he’s still playing and has won nothing.

At some point, you have to concede that were he as unbelievably good as everyone makes out he might have actually done something remarkable in an important game to win something for the club by now.

While I know we would miss his clinical finishing, someone more dynamic up front would better suit the system and produce plenty of goals.

13. This is my feeling on Richarlison as well. But the longer he struggles to score, the greater the pressure becomes. However, Kane leaving could actually free him up. He did look very dangerous the other night but just could not put the ball in the net.

All I know is if he is good enough to play 9 for Brazil, then he is good enough to play 9 for us. We can only hope his talent translates on the scoresheet this season. It really should.

14. Guesty Guest

....... and he cost more than Haarland.

I all seriousness......I agree....if Kane does go...... we should give the current brazil CF at least a run of games (without Kane always there ahead of him)

Richy's chasing defenders down is more what Ange wants..... and Kane doesn't do that well enough

so a front 3 from Solomon, Richy, Son & Kulu

15. Yes one thing is assured … Richy will run around like a madman closing people down all day if directed to do so.

Can we get Maddison to play up top as well? I like the idea of a midfield of Bentancur, Bissouma, and Ndombele, with less Son and Kulusevski up front if possible. Saying so, the latter two may well have a renaissance though.

16. voiceofreason Active Member

I think the criticism of Son was really poor. He has never really had a bad season until then and he was coming off the golden boot season, so he doesn’t suddenly become bad after his best season. He has admitted now that he was carrying an injury all season. Towards the end he was getting back to his old self!

17. Well to be fair, he was poor and played a starring role in driving our previous manager insane lol. I really wouldn’t want to watch another season of that from him.

Hopefully the surgery and officially becoming a year younger will rejuvenate him. But the fear with Son is that he is getting on. And for a player who has always relied on his quickness/pace, that is not a good thing.

18. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Any body else watched the first half on spurs play against the mighty Sailors.We have had 16 shots and scored a penalty on half time they have one attack one cross and score a header while Porro is ball watching.Why is Son playing on the wing he should be down the middle instead of Kane who has been so slow.We decided to buy Kulu when I feared it was a waste of money and today he is proving me right.He has had the ball ion umpteen times in space and has wasted it every time.Best player Maddison

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Second half better after both sides make multiple changes.Richardson really put himself about and De celso best player on pitch.The real worry is the first half when we played probably our best eleven.Solomon is a vast improvement on Kulu and I would like to see Son and Richarlison up front with son down the middle

20. voiceofreason Active Member

I think the best transfer business we will do is sell Kane. If we get money from him and then let the team think about being a team rather than a team plus Harry. Not saying he is not still great , I just think with the new style it will probably work for the best. Richie is going to come into his own!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button