Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

1. The Conte Guest

I believe Ange has bought about 30 players at a net cost of around 10 mill in his two years at Celtic… only 3 or 4 are Japanese

As much as Levy would love the idea Ange won’t be buying a starting lineup consisting of 5 mill players were he to become the manager of Spurs… he simply took advantage of his knowledge and eye for talent to make the most of a shoestring budget at Celtic… obviously also a very good coach

There is a very good chance that the next Spurs manager… no matter who they are… will fall flat on their face… no doubt about it… this is a highly dysfunctional football club from top to bottom these days

But Ange is right up there with who is left of the best candidates for the job

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Why would some one who can play champions league next year want to come to our mess.The premiership is the ambition of most top managers but I can’t believe that working with Levy is up there.If postecoglou really wants to come he must have great confidence in his own ability which is great and I will give him my full support but I fear for him unless he is given free reign

3. voiceofreason Active Member

Really disappointed if we get him!
    When Conte left we started talking about the best young manager in Germany, then a proven Spanish national team manager

Now an Aussie who won a 2 team league! Doesn’t make me feel too confident, also means it’s not much of an attraction to get high profile players. Apart from Ferguson, who did it with a team outside the big 2, I can’t think of any top notch managers that make it coming down South!!

4. The Conte Guest

I understand the concern… particularly with regards to recruitment… but as things stand I don’t think we’re much of a draw these days either way after the last few years

My first preference was for Nagelsmann as well… but that appointment would have come with a caveat too

You are right about the lack of success managers have had coming south… but none of them have ever truly gotten decent jobs either… Ange to Spurs would be the biggest posting in decades should it go ahead

There are no guarantees of success at Spurs for anyone… that much is obvious now… but Ange has won titles wherever he’s gone… in Australia… Japan… Scotland… and with the Australian national side… the guy is obviously a very good coach and has far more worthwhile experience than many of those who get gigs in England

But perhaps most importantly…his style of play… which he is extremely bullish about no matter the quality of his squad… is 100% Spurs

I’ve seen him get results and still be quite disappointed because his side has not played in the correct way… that would be quite a turnaround around here

People definitely need to give him a chance should he get the job… this guy isn’t Nuno… I think he will pleasantly surprise more than quite a few

5. The Conte Guest

Yes you’re right… all Levy has to do is give him the authority to get rid of whoever he doesn’t like… this system doesn’t work unless everyone buys in… works their arses off… and plays with courage

It’s relentless uncompromising attacking football… and if we’re going to lose simply because we don’t have the talent then at least let’s do it in style

6. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see this all action attacking football with this squad and buttons to spend.

Neil Lennon won the treble with Celtic why isn't he in the conversation......

7. The Conte Guest

I get the impression there will be quite a few that simply won't cut it... not necessarily on a technical level... but simply because they're mentally too soft... Ange has no time for that... I'm expecting quite a clear out... and Kane should join the exodus... legendary goal scorer... but too slow and useless on the press

Whatever eventuates I'm looking forward to seeing us ditch the defensive counter altogether and actually go after it again

8. The Conte Guest

The big man is here... remarkable

Perhaps next season won't be such a waste after all

9. Dier is Poor Guest

Ange will be forced to keep Mason on the coaching team.

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I agree with Felon how could this shower we have as players cope with the way postecoglou wants to play with high pressing football.A massive clear out needed .How many players do we have with the legs to play high intensity football.I think about 4 or 5 and two of those are wingbacks and one in midfield in Bettancour if he comes back strong and a desperate over priced Brazilian forward .Not too inspiring is it.I do hopethat Mason is not his assistant

Felon82 likes this.
  11. The Conte Guest

Ange doesn’t typically have his own staff I believe though there’s talk a couple of the Celtic lads might join him… so yep… still a spot for the company man at the club

12. Big fran Guest

I think we do have players capable and suited to a high press. Richy9, son, kulu, bentancur and bissouma all good pressers. Kane ironically isn't much of a high press player. I'd expect the Japan forward from celtic will follow who will be an asset. Play attacking full backs in Porro and udogie/Reggie but what will let this system and style down is truly awful slow centre halves useless in 1v1 situations so that's where serious heavy investment is necessary. If that happens if be confident of top 4 football. Goals ain't gonna be a problem but conceding them is a massive issue in particular the manner in which we concede then crumble. Maguire with a fresh start playing in a back 4 on his right side would be better than dier Sanchez tanganga and rodon who all must go. I'd keep lenglet and Romero but we need to add 2 centre halves. I'd also be interested in Maddison Tielemens and Harvey Barnes.

13. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Like your comments big fran but Son good at pressing.He could not press his own shirt

14. The Conte Guest

Maguire on the cheap is not a bad deal but he is a bit of a lamp post

Kyogo would be a good addition up front… a considerably better player than Son these days no doubt

Maddison always kills us so he’s more than welcome to join… the other guys? I don’t know… they did just get relegated

15. Big fran Guest

Son this season fully rested will be a different animal

16. The Conte Guest

I’m not sure about Son… he looks finished

One player I definitely want to see resurrected is Ndombele

He’s coming back with a Serie A medal and the style of football will suit him

Ange loves a flair player too

17. voiceofreason Active Member

I think lo celso is a better bet, Ndombele still didn’t force him self into a starting position in Italy

18. The Conte Guest

Possibly! I haven't entirely given up hope in him... almost anyone has to be better than what we finished with this season

True Ndombele didn't break the Napoli starting lineup... but he did make 30 appearances for the runaway champions so not an entirely bad season for him

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Just watched the first half of friendly against West Ham.We are 2 o down and the performance has been horrendous.Back four with Tanganga and reguillon abysmal.We have butchered at least 3 good chances.If Levy is watching he must surely now pay up for two centre backs or we are relegation fodder.Now let’s see what Posteelogou has. weird teamselection with at least 4 players who will be gone soon.

20. Genevaspurs Guest

Dear Preed
    Do you have any idea what "prep match" means? The goal for Postecoglu is to gauge the quality of its players and to store minutes of play for physical preparation. Nothing more especially for a first game! Before wanting to change everything, the coach wants to see who, what and how. Especially after 10 days of tactical and physical preparation... Now he has seen that his team has completely dominated West Ham and that the passing and attacking game is being put in place. I liked what I saw even if some players confirmed that they must leave like Tanganga, Sanchez or even Richardlison who missed nearly 4 clear chances to score! I found excellent Udogie, Sarr and Salomon. Strongly the arrival of 2 good central defenders!

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button