Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. Hurrikane Harry Member

For me stats are decisive in establishing our current status.
    I still see us as the 6th biggest club in the country, taking into account the past present and near future. I look at trophies won, points gained, with a bias towards now and the near past. Also fanbase, revenue, attendances, brand value, a whole host of factors, which have to be weighted in terms of importance.
    Newcastle or Villa may overtake us this decade, then again...

2. The Conte Guest

Newcastle have already overtaken us Hurrikane… as have Brighton believe it or not

The star players who have kept us near the top these last years… such as Lloris… Son… Kane… have all reached their end

Even if ownership were willing to invest the resources they’ve shown no ability to consistently spend well for many many years… so any rebuild is far from guaranteed

I think the future looks quite bleak for the club to be honest… and it’s been a very long time since I’ve felt that way

3. Hurrikane Harry Member

Hi, The Conte, take your points but the way I look at it I disagree.
    For me, Brighton are nowhere near as big a club as us. Even West Ham are bigger than them, and I would add Forest Leeds Newcastle for example too.
    Newcastle are closer to us, but we have more trophies, more Prem points, a bigger fanbase, more recent trophies, more revenue for example. So for me we're still the bigger club. That could change quite quickly though. Just as City blew us out of the water in the last decade, Toon might do the same this decade

4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

You can’t keep saying we are a big club based on past results .If we do then Notts Forest are bigger than us because they won champions league ( or European cup. As it was called)twice .Still we are big enough it seems to give a new 3 year contract to a waster likeDier so we must have money to burn

5. Hurrikane Harry Member

I base my placing on past present and near future, across a variety of criteria. For me we're well clear of Forest.

6. The Conte Guest

Lol… you’re on fire these days Preed… nobody piss on him lol

Very well said… especially from a man who has seen it all

Our history will always be important but it is the recent past… present… and near future which determines where we are as a football club now… it does not look good

7. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I do wonder what the supporter trust are for.Do they get to question what is going on .Can they demand to know what is going on with the manager and DOF and why is Levy negotiating new contracts especially Dier.If they can not get answers why are they operating.If as I suspect Levy treats them like idiots then they should stop being.As far as I can see the only sop they rely on is the season tickets have not gone up which isLevy being smart.Do the supporters have a seat on the board???

8. The Conte Guest

My suspicion is that it is not a group without merit in itself… but one that ownership considers a nuisance… and a necessary evil that must be dealt with from time to time

Do they ever affect anything? Perhaps… but no more than the majority at the stadium on a given day

9. Hurrikane Harry Member

Toney out for the Brentford game. Even before this news I fancied us to beat them

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I fancied us signing him.

11. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I really must stop looking at other web sites.The boot room suggests that Levy is fast coming round to Mason as he is easy to deal with.What he means is he won’t rock the boat.If this man appoints Mason he should be sectioned

12. Guesty Guest

STOP paying money to ENIC or it will never change

a BIG club..... yes..... but not now for playing football.....boxing.....NFL....concerts......

13. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I know this is a spurs website but I must congratulate City on a fabulous performance tonight.Shows how far we are away from this standardBrought back memories of the great double side of1961

14. Hurrikane Harry Member

I've been ENIC out for a long time, twenty years if its true they turned down RA before he bought Chelsea
    So many arguments with ENIC defenders who didnt want us to do a City or Chelsea. I wonder what they think now

15. club is an embarrassment; NFL, boxing, roof walks, Wizz kid (not mason, some rapper)? and now go-karts in an underground car park and a chinless wonder as head coach.
    I'd like to see maximum exposure/failure for Levy Cullen etc. If that includes relegation then so be it, we would win just as many trophies.
    I've heard a lot of comments on Spurs podcasts saying Mason is a "lovely guy" etc and they're sure he will become a successful manager. Based on what? Also heard he should go and "cut his teeth" at a championship club to get experience. Why? who would want him?
    As previous comments have mentioned above the only worthwhile protest is to stop giving these parasites cash, renewing memberships, season tickets etc etc.

16. Hurrikane Harry Member

And yet I remember the days when ENIC had so many defenders. Where are they now, have they given up on tbeir moral objections. Or have they finally recognised ENICs shortcomings

17. Guesty Guest

Really!?!?! …..when was that?

perhaps we can play some of them in the team!

18. THFC Guest

I think we need to be fair to Levy and Enic for the last 20 years. They have treated us a commercial investment but they have also invested significantly in the team, developed some of the best facilities in the world (training and stadium) and aside from the stadium debt have kept us in good shape financially.

we could have ended up like Everton but we haven’t.

the thing is now, more than ever, we need investment in the football. This is the stage where it seems ENIC have reached their ceiling and changes need to happen. Levy is clearly difficult to work with and is probably impacting our manager search. The recruitments over the last few years have been particularly poor and any decisions to extend players like Dier will be disastrous for us.

The time is now for Levy and ENIC to do the best for the club and to hijack the Qatari Utd bid so they invest into us, clearing all debt and freeing up a good run at transfers.

We will have to sacrifice millions in spent fees but the players need a wholesale change and it’s better to write down transfer fees, free up space and start again than to continually renew loans and contracts of serial under performing players.

19. Hurrikane Harry Member

There were loads, probably the majority at one time.
    I had constant arguments with them, basically because I wanted us to go down the City and Chelsea route, and lots of them didnt
    They often quoted the morality objection, which was fair enough. But the morality situation hasnt changed, so where are all those ENIC defenders now. Have they switched morals or just realized they were wrong in backing ENIC all those years

20. Hurrikane Harry Member

We could have ended up like Everton, we also could have ended up like Chelsea or City
    IF ENIC turned down RA before he bought Chelsea, it was the biggest sliding doors moment for our past hundred years or more.

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button