Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. The Conte Guest

It wasn’t a personal insult… it’s just a saying… you wear your heart on your sleeve… and it’s a long season

Of course no one is remotely impressed about the other night… but when a 40 mill centre back ultimately loses you the tie against a Championship side what exactly is there to say?

If we lose to Wolves and drop out of Europe to Milan in the next 7 days then I will happily join you in ripping every player and the manager a new one

2. Guesty Guest

just painful to watch 'the' defense and 'the' midfield and 'the' forwards and none of them playing between the lines.....
    we are too rigid in our formation and rely heavily on not very good wing backs

Conte needs to be backed.....but equally Conte needs to understand the players he has a play a formation that fits

and hide Sanchez's kit

3. voiceofreason Active Member

I guess I’m not used to you agreeing with me so didn’t get that bit:)

4. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

When I said you must be joking I meant surely a team with no trophies for over 20 years would not do this although I know they did so we can be strong against wolves.We had better win and against Milan

5. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Well at least they're getting coached properly now

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Better start ripping Conte.First part done now Milan to come and then surely new manager time.How the hell can son continue being first choices.Moura first sub when he is on his way very soon .Why did we get Danjuma who scored on his debut.I am afraid that we have no attacking plan and even the lower placed teams find it so easy to defend against us.Must say that Peresic is one of the worst buys we have made .Please tell me why nobody has told Kane to keep away from free kicks.I can’t be bothered to rant anymore as it falls on deaf ears.why don’t we play back four because we don’t have the personnel to play back 3and a good player like Sarr gets playing time instead of the waste of space Peresic

Last edited: March 4, 2023
  7. Genevaspurs Guest

The most serious thing in this coaching is to have Son on the field from the 1st to the last minute! Apart from a shot on the crossbar, it brings nothing. To never have Danjuma play is laughable. And to only make changes from the 77th minute when you want to win and you're being hovered around the whole 2nd half is professional misconduct! Unacceptable loss today

8. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Threw the FACUP for that sh!t

9. voiceofreason Active Member

If the scousers win their 2 games in hand they are 4th now! Some strange decisions being made, maybe Conte needed a few losses to stop his assistant looking like he knew more than him

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

If the scousers Newcastle and Brighton win their games in hand we are 7th which is still above our ability

11. Guesty Guest

didn't see the game..... just seen the result

Perisic seems to be getting some stick....
    He's always been a good player...... do we put it down to yet another good player we have ruined!?!?!?!?
    (our CMs don't help. When Bentancur is fit I'd play him and Sarr..... and tell them the first instinct is to pass forwards.... and the one that doesn't pass should be on the front foot to help the forwards)

How was Porro?? I haven't been convinced up to now so keen to understand how he played before MoTD

12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

I have tried to put my feelings into perspective.A couple of wins although not very eye catching and your feelings go up and then we follow it with total dross performance against Sheffield and a better first half against Wolves .But every spurs fan was probably expecting the capitulation late on because it has become a habit..We never sub until it’s too late and then make subs that do not make sense.The players are not good enough and can’t change tactics but they are ingrained with the Conte way of playing which is as entertaing as watching paint dry.I really don’t know now whether it’s the cr*p players or the stuck in a rut manager that makes us what we have become which is mostly a joke.Arsenal 2 down and come back to win .Can you see us doing that??

13. The Conte Guest

I wouldn't rip the players too much today... that was a good performance away against a pretty good lineup. Clearly we were the better side but zero luck and typical woeful finishing and we lose again

A couple of things...

Ironic how nobody wanted Traore here when we were after him not long ago and he scores the winning goal. He's not a great forward but he would have been a great wingback for us

We have a forward who has scored 1 goal in 22 league starts... and couldn't have missed by more when presented with our best chance of the game. Yet somehow he remains practically untouchable. So this is indeed major tunnel vision from the manager... not as egregious as Jose starting Bergwijn over Bale for 20 odd straight games with zero results... but equally not good. It should be well obvious by now that this particular player... who will score again one day I'm sure... is not very good anymore. I don't think he will be here next year... though he sells the club a lot of jerseys so who knows.

No doubt this result will spur Wolves on to a good run of form... and maybe that's why we're called Spurs. Because no matter how well we play we're always happy to contrive a result to spur our opposition on.

14. The Conte Guest

Agreed... bad management on a couple of fronts

Conte has too much loyalty to some of these players and is not very proactive in pushing for a result

15. The Conte Guest

Perisic is still pretty good but physically he is on the wane... he's 34 now which is old for a winger/wingback... so he's not great across the pitch anymore... he's also in a major goal drought

Porro was pretty good... he did some nice things and was desperately unlucky not to score off a ripping freekick that cannoned off the crossbar

Again... we were clearly the better side... just as we were on Wednesday... obviously this is zero consolation

But if you combine the fixtures... we've had 38 shots to 15 in the last few days... and haven't scored once... and lost both games

Clearly there is a problem up front if you need 40 plus shots to score a goal... the average is about 10

That said football is a also strange game sometimes... we're due to put 5 past Milan whether we deserve it or not

16. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Conte you still hang on despite another loss.Yes we were the better team for long periods but if you think we were the best team against Sheffieldthen you were watching the wrong game.Wehad more of the ball but we’re tactically outplayed

17. The Conte Guest

Come on… if you didn’t know who Tottenham or Sheffield were and you watched the game the other night there’s no way you would think the home team were the more talented side… apart from being the only ones who could actually stick the ball in the net once

If I’m hanging on… as you say… it’s because the season is on a knife’s edge and has been for a couple of months. A run of a few results in either direction will ultimately decide whether it will be an underwhelming success… but a success nevertheless… or an overwhelming failure

I expected us to be better this term

18. Genevaspurs Guest

Conte and Stellini have only one and same tactic. A tactic that is closer to 5-4-1 than the 3-4-3 that we are led to believe. There is never a real tactical change. Never any real tactical adaptation to the opponent or worse, to the players available. And that, for a coach paid more than 10 million per season, is poor and frustrating! The most glaring example is the position of Perisic. He does not bring much offensively with 0 goal scored since the start of the season but he is also dangerous defensively because he is still poorly placed in marking on the man. You just have to see Jimenez's head, which Foster stopped well, but above all it's perisic who defends badly on the head. Apart from Son who is totally lacking in confidence and who shouldn't start a single game before finding her, Perisic is the 2nd most disappointing player this season!

19. The Conte Guest

Well Perisic’s delivery is still excellent… and he has laid on 8 assists… so I wouldn’t say he’s been a major disappointment… but yes it would be nice if he could remember how to score a goal

As for regularly switching formations? Very few managers do so

Conte prefers 3 at the back… it can drop to a 5 when necessary and to a 2 when in attack… you’ve noticed how far forward the outside centre backs push up sometimes haven’t you?

Personally I like the formation… Conte’s won a lot with it… Tuchel’s won a lot with it… and I appreciate teams that play out from the back… which is what the formation is designed to do

Obviously you need to have technically good centre backs… particularly on the outside… beyond Romero that’s not really the case for us… although Lenglet is quite decent in that sense and Davies is satisfactory enough but no more

There will be an upgrade there next year if Conte is still around

20. Mr Levy Guest

First half we played quite well, let down by poor finishing and a lack of luck. Second half we didn’t react to their shape change which gave a decent team more space. Perisic continues to disappoint with no real pace, meaning anyone that is quick destroys him defensively (especially given his poor positioning). Lenglet is another who just isn’t quick enough so add him with Dier as 2 x CB that really need to be replaced. Porro tried to get forward but looks a liability defending. It’s quite worrying when you think we may well be better off starting Emerson. Son should be starting on the bench. Our biggest problem is how rigid our formation is and how late we make changes at the moment. If we want to play wing backs, we need 3 decent CB, we have 1. Danjuma should surely get a game over Lucas and Sarr should be getting more game time especially when Hojiberg turns over possession so frequently (despite his amazing engine and tenacity). Could really do with beating Milan now

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button