Matchday discussion

Discussion in 'Tottenham forum' started by bigfran, September 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. voiceofreason Active Member

Things change, a draw away at Brentford isn’t such a surprising result, they hammered Man Utd and also beat Man City. Brentford are currently a decent team and no pushover. Shame we started this second half of the season with a similar style to last games, lose first half and then come back.

2. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Every point we drop to lower teams means we drop out of top 4 contention.Newcastle 3 up already.I believe top 4 way beyond this team without at least 3 signings in january

Felon82 likes this.
  3. Felon82 Well-Known Member

Thought the stadium was supposed to be a game changer.
    Nothings changed we've just got steadily worse.

4. Genevaspurs Guest

The saddest thing this season... is that with a good defense and good lane players, we can play for the title in the Premier League. And that Conte is not responsible for it. Out Dier, out Tanganga, out Sanchez, out Sessegnon, out Emerson and out Doherty. Upgrade them and good days will come back quickly

5. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

What a dreamer Genevaspurs.No way will levy splash out for that many players in January or any other time.Your theory about good defence and line players (whatever they are) would apply to most teams.City Liverpool arsenal and Chelsea already have them

6. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

West Ham doing us a big favour I don’t think

7. The Conte Guest

Can you translate in French? I always appreciate it when you do that.

I tend to agree… if we had a force at right wingback we would see a marked improvement across the whole formation. Left wingback is solid for the most part. I’d hoped for a little more in general play from Perisic but he has been pretty good and his set piece delivery has been excellent. Wouldn’t mind seeing him score the odd goal because he is very capable of that.

Overall defensively we still ship way too many goals.

All said we should have got the maximum here… so disappointing not to do so. Top 4 will go down to the wire. Needless to say we need it to keep Conte around.

8. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

We did not deserve to win as The Conte says .yes we had chances but they missed the easiest in the last 5 minutes which would have left us pointless.We have no chance of top4 unless we go in big at the Jan window.I am still not sure about Conte who has picked Emmerson for most of the season but will not give Spence a chance.I am not privy to training so maybe he has not shown good form or attitude but watching Doherty yesterday and Emmerson most of the season I can’t believe he is that poor.If as we are led to believe by the critics that he was a levy choice and this is why Conte is not playing him hasLevy queried why.Conte should have the courage to tell us why he is not getting a chance. Why do players with past good records suddenly play way below their best when we sign them Ie Bissouma who is a shadow of the player at Brighton.Croatia played Peresic in a more forward role and he looked good but Conte plays him as a wing back.If we don’t make the top4 Conte will be off and deservedly so as this will be a backward step.I fear that we are fast reverting to the pre Pochetino days of mediocrity and will continue to do so unless we can get rid ofENIC

9. Genevaspurs Guest

Hahahahahhaha. Thank you The Conte... Yes you are right ! There are those who will always see the glass half empty and not the glass half full. I still think Conte is a successful manager and we can win things with him. His game system, which is not the sexiest I must admit, would allow us to accumulate more wins if the players available in defense were better AND if we had good wingers/pistons instead of Emerson etc... Perisic is a player who has the typical profile of what Conte wants but he is 2-3 years too old. It is necessary that Levy moves and finds similar in younger for the right side but also for the left side. And in the same time, he has to spend money to replace Dier which is a calamity!

10. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Genevaspurs you live in a world of denial.You suggest that we could win things if We had a good defence and good wingers.This means buying at least 6/ players and probably a backup couple.Most teams would have a chance of winning things with this scenario. You are supposing that we buy players while the rest of the league come to a halt.,Nobody thinks Conte is a not a good manager but his style is more suited to Italian league and he lacks the attacking nous.Look at the league for the successful managers and they all are playing attacking football ie Klopp guardiola and Arteta even Chelsea and man united play on front foot.How P***ed off will we be if Arsenal win the league.I hate to say this but Arsenal have used the transfer system so much better than us and have youth not had beens

11. Big fran Guest

Already the big boy proper clubs getting thier business in order. We meanwhile talking about signing young profile players on low salary. Unreal.

Felon82 likes this.
  12. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

This never changesBig Fran we will be told spurs are after big name stars and we finish up with the cheap alternative .left overs

13. The Conte Guest

100% agree this is frustrating.

We are one of the wealthiest clubs in the world. Not the wealthiest mind you… there is a significant gap there.

But all you ever hear from those in charge is how prudent they must be.

There are a few clubs around Europe in our ballpark… but they don’t forever bang on about how little they can spend and on what.

Meanwhile our chairman is the second highest paid in the EPL last time I looked.

Talk about self-satisfactory.

14. Dier is poor Guest

Nope not trolling. Davies is a waste of space as are the owners. The football side of things is finished. This all about minimum investment for maximum gains for enic. We are only making up the numbers and are merely cannon fodder for the big clubs competing for trophies. My 8 year old son has already figured this out but Levy and enic still have 50% (based on my spurs mates) of the fanbase fooled. They drop just enough breadcrumbs to give hope that next year something may happen in spite of trolling the fanbase with unfortunates such as Dier, Davies, Tanganga, Sessegnon, Doherty and many more. Winks was a mainstay in the midfield for 4 years but almost immediately discarded by Conte which tells me all I need to know about the ambition of this "football" club.

15. The Conte Guest

A brutal assessment but one not too far from the truth.

If I had to sum up our ownership these last 20 years it would be equal parts incompetence… hubris… and greed. With a small dose of ambition thrown in.

It is not that we totally lack ambition… what is it now? 12 or 13 straight seasons in Europe? But rather that our ambition is self-satisfactory… which is to say we’ve reached a satisfactory comfort zone where we’re constantly good… not great… and the club makes money.

In such a place… and with the right confluence of events… we can have a few seasons like a few years ago… where we deserved to win the league and made it to the final of the UCL… and easily could have won it on another day.

But our ownership doesn’t invest its own money like a few big clubs do. Neither has our academy produced any great players with the exception of one. So you are correct… we will never be consistently dominant as things stand.

But I think most people follow Spurs because they love the club and we win football games. So maybe all Spurs are equally in the comfort zone. But if the wheels entirely fall off… which they may well do at some point… then you will see the revolution that you crave.

Until then I want to see us succeed. We’ve got a top class manager and a top class football director… I’m sure they would change half the squad tomorrow if they could. So they need some time.

They must be here for a reason… they are both very ambitious… so we need to keep it rolling.

16. Big fran Guest

This situation we are in is years in the making really isn't it. After being in the mix of the top 2 we never invested at a time when we needed only 2 or 3 special signings at a time when we could probably attract top players at a fair price. The problem being that there was a fear from poch and some fans about improving our first 11 constantly eyeing up back up signings and prospects. We had the best back 4 in Europe, Kane was at his peak, sonny improving all the time and a prime dembele. We needed another right winger but wouldn't match Liverpool for mane and a high quality centre mid and would have won something. Now though we would have to pay over the odds transfer prices and wages to attract the players we need and our chairman doesn't like to even pay market rate let alone top whack. Liverpool found themselves in the same situation into the spent silly money for VVD and Alison but it worked, won trophies and now in a position where they can a) attract top players and b) afford them.

17. Guesty Guest

We will never pay the wages to attract top players

18. Dier is Poor Guest

A very good summary of the situation. Yes we are stuck in that comfort zone which suits ENIC more than the fans. What is frustrating is that over the last 10 years clubs like Chelsea have finished well below us on occasion (8th for example) but then are able to quickly reinvent themselves the following season to challenge for trophies by backing the manager.Even arse*al could pull off something similar this season whilst we are stuck treading water. In the 90's we did not have any kind of regular European football but there was always the hope we would compete for a proper marquee signing (Klinsmann) and that good times would return although like today we knew we were always 3 or 4 players short (for every Klinsmann there was a Kerslake, Calderwood or a Nethercott). The difference now is we play in a billion pound stadium and regard ourselves as a top club but we will never pay the wages to compete. The game will never be about glory whilst we are run by a property investment company.

19. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Just watching arsenal make Brighton look second rate.How many spurs players would get in their squad right now .Maybe only Kane.What a sad indictment of our current standing.Top 7 if lucky

20. Preed

Preed Well-Known Member

Seems we are in to resign a player not considered good enough when young ie Edwards.Why????? Or is it part of deal for porro

Guest comments allowed! Use 'Add your comment' button